Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Davis Post-Game Thoughts/Discussion

Default Re: UC Davis Post-Game Thoughts/Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    I am actually most worried about our passing game, I think our weakness will be a team that can cover our receivers 1-on-1 and they will throw the safeties in the box to stop the run.
    Then I would hope the TEs become a much bigger part of the offensive gameplan than they were last Saturday if that happens.

The Bison can still pass the ball effectively if the receivers are taken away. They have talented TEs and the lethal RB wheel routes that will burn teams if they load the box and can't instantly recognize a play action fake.

We didnt play well. at all. Alot of people were/are saying Davis was the better team on saturday- which I completely disagree with. They were close to playing at their full potential- probably playing at a 90% efficiency where I dont think anyone of the fans, players, or coaches would say that we were playing at even 70% of our potential. Are they the better team? lol, please. They were playing closer to their full potential than we were, but still lost by 11.

This is exactly like when we played Montana in the opener in 2015. Montana had to play a virtually perfect game, and we had to shit our pants to lose by one. We played again and railroaded them like the puds they were. This is also like the EWU home and home. We had to shit our pants in 16, they had to play the best game they'd ever played just to lose. We played them again the next year- and we coasted to a 30ish point win.

Breathe. We played like hot garbage. Our play calling was suspect at best in the 2nd half (by the coaches admission), we dropped many balls, many of which were for first down (on 3rd down), Trey played his worst game by ALOT, and Davis had to play excellent.... to still lose by double digits.

Excited that we will be able to take and learn a helluva lot from this game. We gained everything at team needs from an entire non-con schedule in one game. Although the game was frustrating, it was everything we needed before conference football
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This team isn’t losing a f##king thing this year. I said before the season started 2 times. UNDEFEATED!!!
    I’m not going to whine around about only beating the number 4 team in the country by 11 at the beginning of the season in OOC play.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Ah... it's that time of year. When the diatribes starting coming about how this year's team isn't as fast/physical/disciplined/conditions/well coached as past year's teams.

It is an interesting pendulum we have as a fan base between "this is boring, we need to go FBS, the rest of this subdivision is garbage" to "the end is near, they just don't have it this year, I see multiple losses coming". As usual the truth is most likely in the middle once again this year.

Keep in mind that UC Davis needed a late TD to beat non-scholly San Diego (who lost their 4 year starting QB to graduation last year). If you think NDSU wouldn't absolutely railroad San Diego I don't know what to say but teams play their good and their bad games. UC Davis is better than I thought they were but they played a good game last Saturday. NDSU didn't yet they still won by 2 scores... that's what great teams do
    This part here. Not all of it, just the part that is bolded and underlined. THAT part is 100 Trillion% correct
    Last edited by MankatoBison; 09-23-2019 at 02:10 PM. Reason: forgot to underline and bold EVERYTHING
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Quote Originally Posted by 23Bison View Post
    This team isn’t losing a f##king thing this year. I said before the season started 2 times. UNDEFEATED!!!
    I’m not going to whine around about only beating the number 4 team in the country by 11 at the beginning of the season in OOC play.
    Yes, UCD is the #4 and they played well and still lost. We are just fine with the exception of success of adjustments made. Give credit to UCD for taking things away from us that we like to do. They forced our hand some and we still found a way to win. If the #4 team in country cannot give us a game like they did there are only 3 teams in FCS. We are still King of the Hill until someone comes and pushes us off the mountain. We can still play better and that should scare teams. Not playing well and still beating the #4 team in country is pretty good. On to the next game.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm not seeing things as clearly this year as I did last year (called the championship in June 2018), but watch out for Montana State this year.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    I'm not seeing things as clearly this year as I did last year (called the championship in June 2018), but watch out for Montana State this year.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Agreed, Coach Choate apparently has found a QB to hand the offensive reins to and for the 4th year in a row, will beat the UMSU Missoula branch football team. Game is in Bozeman.

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Agreed, Coach Choate apparently has found a QB to hand the offensive reins to and for the 4th year in a row, will beat the UMSU Missoula branch football team. Game is in Bozeman.
    I might try and start an account on egriz if that happens.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    We didnt play well. at all. Alot of people were/are saying Davis was the better team on saturday- which I completely disagree with. They were close to playing at their full potential- probably playing at a 90% efficiency where I dont think anyone of the fans, players, or coaches would say that we were playing at even 70% of our potential. Are they the better team? lol, please. They were playing closer to their full potential than we were, but still lost by 11.

This is exactly like when we played Montana in the opener in 2015. Montana had to play a virtually perfect game, and we had to shit our pants to lose by one. We played again and railroaded them like the puds they were. This is also like the EWU home and home. We had to shit our pants in 16, they had to play the best game they'd ever played just to lose. We played them again the next year- and we coasted to a 30ish point win.

Breathe. We played like hot garbage. Our play calling was suspect at best in the 2nd half (by the coaches admission), we dropped many balls, many of which were for first down (on 3rd down), Trey played his worst game by ALOT, and Davis had to play excellent.... to still lose by double digits.

Excited that we will be able to take and learn a helluva lot from this game. We gained everything at team needs from an entire non-con schedule in one game. Although the game was frustrating, it was everything we needed before conference football
    This is my take as well. I think UC Davis came out balls to the walls and played their nuts off which they had to do to have a chance of beating the Bison. The Bison came out making all kinds of mistakes and that defense isn't there yet and Davis exposed that. The OC and the DC need experience and I think Entz should be able to help out the D like Klieman did with Entz. Roehl will only get better at play calling, he needed this pressure situation and it will only make him better. The only knock on him right now is the design of certain plays. Example: I would like to see a different type of screen rather than just up the middle, maybe have the RB off to the side and have a blocker out there as well. And I really hope he hasn't forgot about the wheel route.

The team and staff looked young and inexperienced and this isn't surprising to me after playing against a good team. Well a team that played balls to the walls.

Coaches need to remember it's OK to throw to your awesome TEs more often, and it doesn't have to be in the end zone.