Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Davis Post-Game Thoughts/Discussion

Default Re: UC Davis Post-Game Thoughts/Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBeach View Post
    Per the herosports web site, he's had JMU at number one since June. So he didn't move the Bison down (or JSU up) based on Saturday's games.

He wrote in his latest update: "I will say that I felt like Saturday solidified my stance on the James Madison-NDSU discussion -- my ballot having JMU No. 1 since June. I feel like we saw some questions arise with the Bison this weekend, and I think JMU is playing like a machine -- and again, any FCS team that outrushes West Virginia 172 to 34 yards and 1.4 yards per carry? That's a pretty darned good FCS team."
    Brian has had JMU winning the FCS Championship since they lost in the quarters last year... he has a narrative he is pushing -- that this is JMU's year, and the basis is all the returning seniors (seniors that contributed to a 4 loss season last year).

An elite FCS team should win their matchup with a middling P5 team. At best, the 2019 version of WVU is "middling" -- winners win, and the Dukes didn't deliver.

Brian's narrative may come to fruition... but something I have learned after all these years is always trust in the Bison!!

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Watched the bison football show with Matt Entz. After watching the film Matt felt maybe they should have run a gap power a little more. Wonder what he saw? I could never be a coach I can't watch the same game more then once.

Ty Brooks is probably the best downhill runner we have but he's not very big.

Lardsin must go!

In game adjustments have not been that good this year, at least in my mind. We had close games at the half before and then just blew the team out in the second half. I was looking for those adjustments vs UCD. Well I guess we outscored them 10-3 in second half. UCD put up a good fight and we will probably see each other in the playoffs if we take care of business. But some adjustments at half that work would be nice to see.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Watched the bison football show with Matt Entz. After watching the film Matt felt maybe they should have run a gap power a little more. Wonder what he saw? I could never be a coach I can't watch the same game more then once.

Ty Brooks is probably the best downhill runner we have but he's not very big.
    Sat in the end zone for this game and watching Ty just disappear into the lineman was interesting when he’d pickup 5-6 yards on one of the last drives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This game was a bit frustrating, partly due to to how well they played in the first three. Players and coaches alike are inexperienced and will have some struggles.

If they clean up mistakes and the coaches do a better job the sky is the limit. I think they've shown that the talent is there, again.

I am very worried about CB play at this point. Yes, that was an excellent team, but Destin Talbert really struggled. I assume he was the nickel?

This team will lose 3 games this year in conference play, one at home and two on the road. Not nearly as physical as teams in years past. Opposing teams play away from Cox and play at our other two linebackers. Cox is forced to play in coverage and not allowed to rush the passer, that hurts his effectiveness and our defense as a unit. Our D-line is well balanced but NOT overly impressive as years past (excluding Tusca). UC Davis is WELL coached. They watched our three prior games and took away the running sweep plays forcing our o-line to run inside, which it did OK at best. Our QB played well and he is young, He isn't the problem. This team is 1 year away and so are the coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW IT ALL View Post
    This team will lose 3 games this year in conference play, one at home and two on the road. Not nearly as physical as teams in years past. Opposing teams play away from Cox and play at our other two linebackers. Cox is forced to play in coverage and not allowed to rush the passer, that hurts his effectiveness and our defense as a unit. Our D-line is well balanced but NOT overly impressive as years past (excluding Tusca). UC Davis is WELL coached. They watched our three prior games and took away the running sweep plays forcing our o-line to run inside, which it did OK at best. Our QB played well and he is young, He isn't the problem. This team is 1 year away and so are the coaches.
    This team isnt losing to UNI WIU MSU or USD at home.

Maybe at ISUr and SDSU(who hasnt really impressed outside of their UMn loss)

Quote Originally Posted by KNOW IT ALL View Post
    Ah... it's that time of year. When the diatribes starting coming about how this year's team isn't as fast/physical/disciplined/conditions/well coached as past year's teams.

It is an interesting pendulum we have as a fan base between "this is boring, we need to go FBS, the rest of this subdivision is garbage" to "the end is near, they just don't have it this year, I see multiple losses coming". As usual the truth is most likely in the middle once again this year.

Keep in mind that UC Davis needed a late TD to beat non-scholly San Diego (who lost their 4 year starting QB to graduation last year). If you think NDSU wouldn't absolutely railroad San Diego I don't know what to say but teams play their good and their bad games. UC Davis is better than I thought they were but they played a good game last Saturday. NDSU didn't yet they still won by 2 scores... that's what great teams do.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I am very worried about CB play at this point. Yes, that was an excellent team, but Destin Talbert really struggled. I assume he was the nickel?
    I am actually most worried about our passing game, I think our weakness will be a team that can cover our receivers 1-on-1 and they will throw the safeties in the box to stop the run.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.