Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
The fans of schools like JSU and UNH that have gotten some pretty favorable placement from the selection committee while their AD has been on it have always used the retort "He has to leave whenever the committee is discussing his team or another team within his team's conference" but I'm convinced that it's just human nature that some of these guys develop friendships with each other and there's a little bit of "you scratch my back I'll scratch yours" going on even if it's unspoken.

In general I think the selection committee does a better job that they get credit for and their job is a lot harder than most people think but they could also do themselves some favors by being a little more consistent with their selection criteria. SOS matters... most of the time. Quality wins matter... sometimes. Quality losses matter... sometimes.
The biggest issues are due to not doing a full seeding and regionalization. IMHO that's what leads to the unbalanced brackets and the committee having an excuse that their hands are tied because they need to follow those rules.