Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 UC Davis

Default Re: 2019 UC Davis

I hope we don't try that 3 man rush BS we did against EWU. Gotta get pressure on Maier or he will pick us apart. Blitz like we did against UD every now and then at least.

Tony Almeida is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Technically Gage Gubrud came in and hung 450 yds and 4 TDs on us in that overtime game.

Jeremiah Briscoe came in highly touted, speaking of Sam Houston QB's.
    All I remember in that game was thinking what in the hell are the safeties and CB's looking at every time Gubrud would throw deep. The ball seemed to hang for eternity and I was expecting it to get easily defended only to see the ball fall into the hands of a receiver every single time. It was so frustrating to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Funky View Post
    With Maier coming in and all the talk of their high powered offense - who was the last QB that came to the Fargo Dome that had folks feeling like he could legit pick the defense apart? Im not talking a duel threat guy...but a pure pocket passer. Rhett Bomar? I realize he was also very athletic, but that guy could spin it.
    Rhett ran the ball for over 100 yards and threw for like 400 that game. Probably the best quarterback performance I've seen in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Technically Gage Gubrud came in and hung 450 yds and 4 TDs on us in that overtime game.

Jeremiah Briscoe came in highly touted, speaking of Sam Houston QB's.
    I think Gubrud is a good comp for this guy. Not overly athletic but good in the pocket and can definitely spin it. Hope the game plan is more EWU away vs EWU at home.

This game will definitely test our passing defense. Their QB seems to be quite good. As i recall, i think as of today he is leading the FCS in passing yards since the start of the 2018 season with 4,852 yards.

2. Cooper (JSU) - 4423
    3. Simmons (South Dakota) - 4151
    4. Flacco (Towson) - 4,039

I don’t know how good UC Davis’ receivers are, but keep in mind that EWU had three WRs that were in NFL camps the next season and two are still on rosters. I think that was one of the major reasons why Gage was able to throw or so well. When NDSU went to their redrum house the next season, Gage was just a regular QB. Since then, he lost his job, and after transferring to WSU, I don’t believe he has had much of an impact.

I know Doss (now playing for the Raiders) was one heck of a WR last year for Davis, but I’m not sure any on his level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by G_Funky View Post
    With Maier coming in and all the talk of their high powered offense - who was the last QB that came to the Fargo Dome that had folks feeling like he could legit pick the defense apart? Im not talking a duel threat guy...but a pure pocket passer. Rhett Bomar? I realize he was also very athletic, but that guy could spin it.
    Lauletta from Richmond worried me in the 2015 semis... but that Bison defense was playing out of their minds at that point so it probably shouldn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    I think Gubrud is a good comp for this guy. Not overly athletic but good in the pocket and can definitely spin it. Hope the game plan is more EWU away vs EWU at home.
    I didn't get the impression in the couple Davis games I watched in last year's playoffs that Maier was very close to Gubrud in terms of mobility. He seems like a guy who only scrambles to buy himself time whereas Gubrud could burn you running the ball if you didn't account for him. The Locker Room guys compared Maier to Austin Sumner (SDSU QB from 2011-2014), that seemed pretty close to me based on what I've seen of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Lauletta from Richmond worried me in the 2015 semis... but that Bison defense was playing out of their minds at that point so it probably shouldn't have.
    I'm not sold on Rocco being a good coach. This UC Davis guy though has me interested. Will be fun to see what a team that has what looks to be a good coach and QB can do coming into the Dome. When Eastern came to the dome Baldwin was still their HC no?

I'm not sold on Rocco being a good coach. This UC Davis guy though has me interested. Will be fun to see what a team that has what looks to be a good coach and QB can do coming into the Dome. When Eastern came to the dome Baldwin was still their HC no?
    Yep, that was his last season in '16. When they went back to Cheney in '17 that was Best's first season as HC.

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

We'll see how great of a coach he is...since his time at Boise he's compiled a lousy record at multiple levels of football. He's charismatic though and speaks well (he was an analyst for ESPN for several years).
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.