Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 UC Davis

Default Re: 2019 UC Davis

Quote Originally Posted by gumby013 View Post
    You have to like that guy! Great memory, which is probably why he is a good coach.

cbline is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It's been a long season already with no flight stalking. Can't wait for that this week!

For those younger fans out there, NDSU and Davis had quite a battle back in the 80s.

1982 - NDSU went out to Davis and lost in the semi-final game 14-19
    1983 - NDSU traveled again to Davis and won the semi-final game 26-17
    1984 - Davis came to Fargo in the first round of the playoffs and NDSU won 31-23
    1985 - NDSU surprisingly made the playoffs and traveled to Davis and beat them 31-12 in the first round

We didn't meet again until 2002.

The last time we played them was in 2007.

533 In a row

I am looking forward to watching their QB. It is enjoyable to watch other top tier players come to the Fargo dome and play. It will be interesting how he tries to pick us apart and how we defend him and make him uncomfortable. I hope he sees a lot of pressure but I expect a lot of quick throws. Hopefully that leads to a jumped route and a pick 6 or maybe 2 or 3!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    I am looking forward to watching their QB. It is enjoyable to watch other top tier players come to the Fargo dome and play. It will be interesting how he tries to pick us apart and how we defend him and make him uncomfortable. I hope he sees a lot of pressure but I expect a lot of quick throws. Hopefully that leads to a jumped route and a pick 6 or maybe 2 or 3!!!!!!
    Watching a couple of games he seems like a really good player. Knows how to move in the pocket and get rid of the ball quick. Would be fun to see Tuszka drop back in coverage a few times to try and disrupt their quick passing game. Even though he isn't much of a threat to take off and run with it, he's no statue back there like Kehoe. It will be a much different game planning against this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    Yep, this year their QB Maier is averaging 7.4 yards per attempt and 10.7 yards per completion. Last year it was 7.1 and 10.8 respectively. By comparison Lance so far this year is 11.1 and 13.9 and last year Stick was 9.8 and 15.7. So by design the ball gets out of his hand quickly. I think it'll be tough for the D-line to get home for sacks but if they can get some push to collapse the pocket and clog his passing lanes with either their arms or the UC Davis O-lineman it'll make things tougher for their QB.

gumby013 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Yep, this year their QB Maier is averaging 7.4 yards per attempt and 10.7 yards per completion. Last year it was 7.1 and 10.8 respectively. By comparison Lance so far this year is 11.1 and 13.9 and last year Stick was 9.8 and 15.7. So by design the ball gets out of his hand quickly. I think it'll be tough for the D-line to get home for sacks but if they can get some push to collapse the pocket and clog his passing lanes with either their arms or the UC Davis O-lineman it'll make things tougher for their QB.
    Cal did a solid job of getting their arms up and deflecting balls.
    Looking good Billy Ray!

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

With Maier coming in and all the talk of their high powered offense - who was the last QB that came to the Fargo Dome that had folks feeling like he could legit pick the defense apart? Im not talking a duel threat guy...but a pure pocket passer. Rhett Bomar? I realize he was also very athletic, but that guy could spin it.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Cal did a solid job of getting their arms up and deflecting balls.
    I hope this is the approach the defense takes. Condense the pocket but dont actively work multiple pass rush moves trying to get home for a sack. Just create havoc in the passing lanes by getting a hand up.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Funky View Post
    With Maier coming in and all the talk of their high powered offense - who was the last QB that came to the Fargo Dome that had folks feeling like he could legit pick the defense apart? Im not talking a duel threat guy...but a pure pocket passer. Rhett Bomar? I realize he was also very athletic, but that guy could spin it.
    Technically Gage Gubrud came in and hung 450 yds and 4 TDs on us in that overtime game.

Jeremiah Briscoe came in highly touted, speaking of Sam Houston QB's.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯