Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN names 2013 Bison a top 150 college football team of all time

Default ESPN names 2013 Bison a top 150 college football team of all time

Our free story includes Gene Taylor, Christian Dudzik, Cole Jirik, Trevor Gebhart and Brock Jensen:
    https://247sports.com/college/north-...zik-135435145/

Default Re: ESPN names 2013 Bison a top 150 college football team of all time

That's some pretty good recognition for a little 'ol FCS school.... that was one hell of a team though and those guys deserve it.

However... I'm still not convinced that the 2018 team wasn't just as good or better.

I guess we'll have to see how the guys who are still active that were contributors on that 2018 team finish off their careers.

Btw… how good would've that 2013 team been if they didn't have their best QB sitting on the bench???

The 2018 team may have been better. May.

But the 2018 team never got to play a FBS game. And thats going to be the sauce for ESPN.

And the 2013 team had the best QB for the time. Carson Wentz was a hell of a QB. Obviously had better physical talent. But if you're going to tell me he would have made better *decisions* on the field then Senior variant Brock Jensen - No just no.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTech View Post

But the 2018 team never got to play a FBS game. And thats going to be the sauce for ESPN.

And the 2013 team had the best QB for the time. Carson Wentz was a hell of a QB. Obviously had better physical talent. But if you're going to tell me he would have made better *decisions* on the field then Senior variant Brock Jensen - No just no.
    Can't argue with the results on the field for Brock. It was one of the all-time teams in the rich history of NDSU football regardless.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Can't argue with the results on the field for Brock. It was one of the all-time teams in the rich history of NDSU football regardless.
    I always think that it's weird that some of our fans think that we'd have been so much better had CW not been on the bench. That 2013 team basically had no competition in FCS that year. We arguably could not have had better results because our coaches would have still throttled things back at some point every game. The only difference would have been the timing of when they did it. Yeah, yeah, I know that one or two teams played tough but that would have likely still happened.
    Insert something clever here...

Mr Pep Band is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Very neat ESPN did this to celebrate 150 years of college FB. Buuuuuuuut, I have to wonder, is this based off which teams are best ALL-TIME, or which teams are the best when compared to their peers in that given season? I have to think the latter because modern teams would destroy teams from even the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenTech View Post

LOL no way. 2013 had multiple NFL players, beat a Big 12 defending champ & destroyed everyone else. this isn't even a debate, 2018 had 3 creampuffs
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pep Band View Post
    Very neat ESPN did this to celebrate 150 years of college FB. Buuuuuuuut, I have to wonder, is this based off which teams are best ALL-TIME, or which teams are the best when compared to their peers in that given season? I have to think the latter because modern teams would destroy teams from even the 90's.
    This sentiment is basically exactly what Dudzik said to me.

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    I always think that it's weird that some of our fans think that we'd have been so much better had CW not been on the bench. That 2013 team basically had no competition in FCS that year. We arguably could not have had better results because our coaches would have still throttled things back at some point every game. The only difference would have been the timing of when they did it. Yeah, yeah, I know that one or two teams played tough but that would have likely still happened.
    It's not complicated. I think Wentz was a better QB in 2013 than Jensen was. Maybe I'm wrong... maybe I'm not. That team did have to come from behind in the 4th quarter twice that year. To Jensen's credit he did it. Would've Wentz did that? Maybe. Would've Wentz had to do that? Maybe not.

It's an interesting hypothetical to me because that team is considered one of the best FCS teams of all-time and Wentz is one of the most talented FCS QBs of all-time who just happened to be on that team but never played a meaningful snap on it.

OrygunBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    It's not complicated. I think Wentz was a better QB in 2013 than Jensen was. Maybe I'm wrong... maybe I'm not. That team did have to come from behind in the 4th quarter twice that year. To Jensen's credit he did it. Would've Wentz did that? Maybe. Would've Wentz had to do that? Maybe not.

It's an interesting hypothetical to me because that team is considered one of the best FCS teams of all-time and Wentz is one of the most talented FCS QBs of all-time who just happened to be on that team but never played a meaningful snap on it.
    I get what you're saying. I just scoff at folks (not you in this case) that indicate that the difference would be remarkably better. Given the actual RESULTS, I can't see the logic. Also, I'm not sure that there's an NDSU QB all-time that had a better season than Brock did that particular year. Maybe Easton in 2018. I get that CW is a much better professional talent but he never had the results in college that Brock did, in spite of all of the praise that he was receiving. Brock was near perfect for the type of gameplan that NDSU played in 2013 season. (Similarly, Easton was near perfect for the type of gameplan that NDSU played in the 2018 season.)
    Insert something clever here...