Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: We Wanted Bama

Default Re: We Wanted Bama

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    Exactly. I'd love to see the Bison in FBS and know they could compete on the field and draw fans today. I just think the financial side would all but destroy NDSU athletics unless some benefactor comes forward to pay for it. Not even Carson Wentz has that kind of dough, at least not yet. NDSU enrollment is also in a pretty big decline right now, which makes it that much more difficult and would make for some pretty bad optics with state legislators.

But I also still think at some point the G5 will break off from the P5 because there are too many schools losing way too much money for things to stay as they are indefinitely. Wherever they land is where NDSU should be...and where they plan to be, if past comments are any indication.

So am I happy they are in FCS? Well, not really, but that's the reality, so I make the best of it.
    *"I also still think at some point the G5 will break off from the P5"

you naysayers have been using that line since 2011. I dont want to start losing fans to complacency & trophy chasing.. but that's what is happening. there's easily demand for 40,000+ a game vs better competition... dont forget 250 000 is the population in Fargo area now. that's less than 1/5th and upper deck tickets are $20/seat w no donation...theres a huge part of the population that would die for those prices for a NDSU football game
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDan View Post
    I'd throw in attendance to that as well. If we were FBS, it would require a new stadium, and to be honest, the "attendance" numbers don't match with butts in the seat. Don't think low level FBS teams would draw enough excitement to fill a 30k stadium. Wyoming has averaged 19.8k per game over the last five years. their stadium holds 29k...and that attendance is tickets "sold", not people in the stadium.
    I'm not sure attendance is that much of an issue if NDSU were to move up to a FBS school unless it were a P5 conference. Using this info from the NCAA (http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/footba...dance/2018.pdf), G5 schools really don't have that much of a paid attendance more than NDSU has already. Two the G5 conferences average less than what NDSU draws at the FargoDome while one is about the same.

The biggest issue, in my opinion, is location. The Big 10 is the only FBS conference in our region, and their academic levels, endowment level, budgets, etc. are beyond what NDSU can attain. The two G5 conferences nearest (really aren't that close) to Fargo won't want anything to do with NDSU based on my experience with them. The MAC schools are hemorrhaging money (words from someone who works in Akron's AD) just trying to keep up with P5 schools, and adding a school (maybe two if SDSU came with) that far West is going to hurt them more. The MW, based on a luncheon I had with them in 2016, are full of themselves and think NDSU is a cute little program. Why would they add a school or two that they look down upon?

It will be interesting to see what happens when NDSU eventually makes it move. If they somehow end up in a conference, it will be interesting to see which one and how long fans get bored beating the same crappy teams every year, much like the complaints we hear about the MVFC. Sorry, but G5 teams for the most part, are pretty much as exciting as what we see in the MVFC and only a few, in any, are ranked higher than NDSU each year in the Sagarin Ratings.

I think the only solution NDSU has right now to move up to the FBS would be independent while keeping the rest of its sports in the conferences they are in right now. Hopefully that changes in the near future when a certain conference takes the Bison more serious.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    *"I also still think at some point the G5 will break off from the P5"

you naysayers have been using that line since 2011. I dont want to start losing fans to complacency & trophy chasing.. but that's what is happening. there's easily demand for 40,000+ a game vs better competition... dont forget 250 000 is the population in Fargo area now. that's less than 1/5th and upper deck tickets are $20/seat w no donation...theres a huge part of the population that would die for those prices for a NDSU football game
    And the P5 DID break away from the G5. It happed with the creation of the College Football Playoffs. Unfortunately, the G5 is living in denial right now, or are quietly admitting it.
    Hail the BISON!!!

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I know the title says “We wanted Bama” but does that mean we still do? Asking for a friend.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    And the P5 DID break away from the G5. It happed with the creation of the College Football Playoffs. Unfortunately, the G5 is living in denial right now, or are quietly admitting it.
    The final apron string was cut when the NCAA gave them autonomy.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    The final apron string was cut when the NCAA gave them autonomy.
    And you would be correct.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    T Boone Pickens recently passed away. Any relative of his a Bison Fan???? asking for a friends.
    He probably left more money to Oklahoma State. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...68520063200612

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by DakotaOkie View Post
    One big detail is there are (probably) more alumni in the Twin Citiies than in the entire FM area. Filling a stadium in the MSP area for a unique one and done event means very little in the F-M area. I have no dog in this fight but more stadium in Fargo would be a good idea regardless of the FBS implications. LIke has been said countless times, folks in Cass county are not going to pay for it nor is the state legislature.
    Highly doubtful. The figure I heard from the alumni association was that there was 19,000 NDSU alumni in the twin cities. You can claim that estimate is low (and I thought it would be higher) but alumni in and around the FM area has to blow that out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I think the only solution NDSU has right now to move up to the FBS would be independent while keeping the rest of its sports in the conferences they are in right now. Hopefully that changes in the near future when a certain conference takes the Bison more serious.
    Bingo! Amongst all the "we need to look at going FBS" handwringing I've yet to see a reasonable argument as to why NDSU would be an attractive enough option for any G5 conference to be willing to share their TV/CFP money with. Is being an FBS independent better than where we're at currently? Ask Idaho.

I think the best path towards FBS is to move up with a group of regional schools (the usual suspects that have been listed many times) so you have an "alliance" if not an official conference rather than being on an island.

When the P5 get around to expanding the playoff to 8 teams, one spot will be available for the G5, would be good for all involved imo.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    When the P5 get around to expanding the playoff to 8 teams, one spot will be available for the G5, would be good for all involved imo.
    That’s the popular opinion among many of us fans and those in the media. However, I’m still waiting for that idea to be expressed by a P5/CFP spokesperson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!