Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: We Wanted Bama

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: We Wanted Bama

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    NDSU has better fan support than a lot of G5 teams out there. I'm not sure you'll find anyone here willing to argue that. However, that alone doesn't make NDSU an attractive option to any particular FBS conference nor does it cover the cost of an FBS move (at least not without a larger venue).
    Exactly. I'd love to see the Bison in FBS and know they could compete on the field and draw fans today. I just think the financial side would all but destroy NDSU athletics unless some benefactor comes forward to pay for it. Not even Carson Wentz has that kind of dough, at least not yet. NDSU enrollment is also in a pretty big decline right now, which makes it that much more difficult and would make for some pretty bad optics with state legislators.

But I also still think at some point the G5 will break off from the P5 because there are too many schools losing way too much money for things to stay as they are indefinitely. Wherever they land is where NDSU should be...and where they plan to be, if past comments are any indication.

So am I happy they are in FCS? Well, not really, but that's the reality, so I make the best of it.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    Exactly. I'd love to see the Bison in FBS and know they could compete on the field and draw fans today. I just think the financial side would all but destroy NDSU athletics unless some benefactor comes forward to pay for it. Not even Carson Wentz has that kind of dough, at least not yet. NDSU enrollment is also in a pretty big decline right now, which makes it that much more difficult and would make for some pretty bad optics with state legislators.

But I also still think at some point the G5 will break off from the P5 because there are too many schools losing way too much money for things to stay as they are indefinitely. Wherever they land is where NDSU should be...and where they plan to be, if past comments are any indication.

So am I happy they are in FCS? Well, not really, but that's the reality, so I make the best of it.
    T Boone Pickens recently passed away. Any relative of his a Bison Fan???? asking for a friends.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Facts is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bison_by_blood View Post
    And in my opinion, several of the state colleges gotta go. Dickinson State, Mayville, Valley City and maybe Minot are sucking funds from a state that can barely support the flagship state colleges
    Ding ding ding!
    Go Bison.

Quote Originally Posted by Facts View Post
    Ding ding ding!
    you would have a better chance at the state funding an FBS move than closing any of the other colleges that dot the empty plains. ND hates Higher Ed but they absolutely love making sure every pud town has a State university

its a very strange and ineffective model
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Not hard to figure out. From a football standpoint we should be FBS. From a funding standpoint we aren’t quite there yet.
    This is absolutely correct. People denying either part of this dont have their heads screwed on right. I know that for many of you this is an incomprehensible idea... BUT... contrary to popular belief- Two things could be true at once.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Wow, thats a damn reasonable comment! Mods, is this allowed???
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

Forget where they land. Where are they now? That's where we should be now. Those on Bisonville who say, "let's wait and see..." what makes you think we'd be more (instead of less) welcome at that time to join the ranks. What if the NCAA goes to an 8-team football playoff, including 1-2 G5s? NDSU says, "oh, we'd like to be a part of that." Well no shit. So would every other decent FCS. Then it's even harder to find a conference. We need to be already seated in our chair when the music stops. Let others scramble for a seat.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

Ndsu would blow North Carolina and Wake Forest out of the stadium, poor football right now on ESPN
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

DakotaOkie is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    I sincerely don't know what about my statement you guys object to. I said "yet again...". It isn't the "one gimmick game" by itself. The ability of this team to turn out fans for piece of $#!t FCS game against a team no one cares about in a baseball stadium 3 hours from home is one more piece of evidence, among countless pieces, that we have the fan support for FBS.
    One big detail is there are (probably) more alumni in the Twin Citiies than in the entire FM area. Filling a stadium in the MSP area for a unique one and done event means very little in the F-M area. I have no dog in this fight but more stadium in Fargo would be a good idea regardless of the FBS implications. LIke has been said countless times, folks in Cass county are not going to pay for it nor is the state legislature.

ThunderDan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Not hard to figure out. From a football standpoint we should be FBS. From a funding standpoint we aren’t quite there yet.
    I'd throw in attendance to that as well. If we were FBS, it would require a new stadium, and to be honest, the "attendance" numbers don't match with butts in the seat. Don't think low level FBS teams would draw enough excitement to fill a 30k stadium. Wyoming has averaged 19.8k per game over the last five years. their stadium holds 29k...and that attendance is tickets "sold", not people in the stadium.