Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ESPN names 2013 Bison a top 150 college football team of all time

Default Re: ESPN names 2013 Bison a top 150 college football team of all time

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    And yet, we didn't need Wentz to carry the load, Stick went undefeated with the same team. Wentz didn't play within the team framework that's been the hallmark of our success the last 8 years. Stick played the role of QB, Wentz tried to play Superman. He still suffers from that in the pros, hopefully he'll figure that out, I have my doubts.
    Yes, he needs to be more of CEO on the field where he makes sure everyone is doing their job too and less of a Thanos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

Mr Pep Band is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Yes, he needs to be more of CEO on the field where he makes sure everyone is doing their job too and less of a Thanos.

And that is why Brock was the better fit for the 2013 team. He was a game manager and not a superman game winner.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I was more in the thought that the team was over reliant (confident) on Carson’s skills that they were less disciplined and not everyone was doing their jobs to the best ability.

Yes, Carson is confident, but that’s a key characteristic of an Alpha-Dog/field general. Imagine guys like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady without it.

I always thought it was more what polacek called as oc then Carson calling his own number. I hate to say this because I love watching Carson play but I don’t think ndsu wins the championship unless he gets hurt and the team figures out how to step up and play without him.

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    I always thought it was more what polacek called as oc then Carson calling his own number. I hate to say this because I love watching Carson play but I don’t think ndsu wins the championship unless he gets hurt and the team figures out how to step up and play without him.
    I think we're saying pretty much the same thing. With what Carson (and RJ) did in 2014, especially during the playoffs, and the well-deserved hype he was receiving, the team seemed undisciplined "maybe" because the team felt they could rely on Carson to bail them out of a bad situation. Unfortunately, with the defense being too young (they would get much, much better as predicted by Klieman by season's end), the team needed to be much more disciplined early on. Fortunately, everything would work out for the best. By the time Carson got healed up for the Championship Game, the team was working on full cylinders and was fully synergized.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    Except the year he didn't get hurt and they won the championship...

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Which I personally disagree with. Pursuant to that premise, and by extrapolation, all the current NFL playoff teams and Super Bowl Champs would destroy automatically those from 1970s-2000s. I don’t think that’s the case.

Not meaning to argue the point but just to pose a question: which set of rules would those teams be using - 70’s or 2019?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Not meaning to argue the point but just to pose a question: which set of rules would those teams be using - 70’s or 2019?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You just gave me a vision of Joey Browner horse tackling players on every play, and the 2020 offenses wilting under the duress.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Which I personally disagree with. Pursuant to that premise, and by extrapolation, all the current NFL playoff teams and Super Bowl Champs would destroy automatically those from 1970s-2000s. I don’t think that’s the case.

To be honest, I think the modern, lets say Miami Dophins, would line up against, let's say the Vikings Purple People Eaters, and run the ball like we did against Montana St. only because the scale of the humans on the line of scrimmage is so different. Not saying the players are "more talented" per say, but we are just that much better at nutrition and training to develop really big people who can still move really really quickly.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

I think we're saying pretty much the same thing. With what Carson (and RJ) did in 2014, especially during the playoffs, and the well-deserved hype he was receiving, the team seemed undisciplined "maybe" because the team felt they could rely on Carson to bail them out of a bad situation. Unfortunately, with the defense being too young (they would get much, much better as predicted by Klieman by season's end), the team needed to be much more disciplined early on. Fortunately, everything would work out for the best. By the time Carson got healed up for the Championship Game, the team was working on full cylinders and was fully synergized.
    I always found it interesting that Tennessee won the National Championship the year after Peyton Manning graduated. Granted football is the ultimate team game with 11 dudes on the field, but did they rely too much on Peyton and never really developed as a team?
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    It's not complicated. I think Wentz was a better QB in 2013 than Jensen was. Maybe I'm wrong... maybe I'm not. That team did have to come from behind in the 4th quarter twice that year. To Jensen's credit he did it. Would've Wentz did that? Maybe. Would've Wentz had to do that? Maybe not.

It's an interesting hypothetical to me because that team is considered one of the best FCS teams of all-time and Wentz is one of the most talented FCS QBs of all-time who just happened to be on that team but never played a meaningful snap on it.
    Maybe but I doubt it. More potential, but I doubt Carson as a sophomore would have been as good as Brock as a senior. Brock saw the field so well. I think people forget how good Brock’s numbers were as a senior and he played some good teams.