Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESPN names 2013 Bison a top 150 college football team of all time

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: ESPN names 2013 Bison a top 150 college football team of all time

2013 Bison rated #147. The real debate is whether Wentz would have started for the #145 rated Div 3 2012 Mount Union team.

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    It's not complicated. I think Wentz was a better QB in 2013 than Jensen was. Maybe I'm wrong... maybe I'm not. That team did have to come from behind in the 4th quarter twice that year. To Jensen's credit he did it. Would've Wentz did that? Maybe. Would've Wentz had to do that? Maybe not.

It's an interesting hypothetical to me because that team is considered one of the best FCS teams of all-time and Wentz is one of the most talented FCS QBs of all-time who just happened to be on that team but never played a meaningful snap on it.
    You realize in 2015:
    Wentz 5-2
    Stick 8-0

You’re 2013 suggestions don’t fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    It's all good man. Like I said you can disagree and it's impossible for me to call you wrong since the results on the field prove what a quality team that was and what a quality QB Jensen was. My position is completely hypothetical so it's a tough to justify to any reasonable degree of certainty. It's just message board fodder.

Anyway, I'll quit derailing this thread.
    Dont quit. I enjoy your posts.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    You realize in 2015:
    Wentz 5-2
    Stick 8-0

You’re 2013 suggestions don’t fly.
    Pretty good point. However, and I mentioned this back in 2015, that prior to Wentz’s injury against USD, the team seemed (my opinion) too reliant on one individual to win games. When Stick came in, the team started to function more as a whole again and performed pretty darn good, especially at YSU. When Wentz came back for the Championship Game, JSU didn’t have a chance as NDSU looked like a Super Bison team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Pretty good point. However, and I mentioned this back in 2015, that prior to Wentz’s injury against USD, the team seemed (my opinion) too reliant on one individual to win games. When Stick came in, the team started to function more as a whole again and performed pretty darn good, especially at YSU. When Wentz came back for the Championship Game, JSU didn’t have a chance as NDSU looked like a Super Bison team.

Whenever JSU steps out of the OVC they rarely have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Whenever JSU steps out of the OVC they rarely have a chance.
    But but....Auburn!!!

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Hail the BISON!!!

This is spot on Chris, Carson's biggest fault is overconfidence.

But but....Auburn!!!

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Ahhh good times.

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    This is spot on Chris, Carson's biggest fault is overconfidence.
    I was more in the thought that the team was over reliant (confident) on Carson’s skills that they were less disciplined and not everyone was doing their jobs to the best ability.

Yes, Carson is confident, but that’s a key characteristic of an Alpha-Dog/field general. Imagine guys like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady without it.

Hail the BISON!!!

I was more in the thought that the team was over reliant (confident) on Carson’s skills that they were less disciplined and not everyone was doing their jobs to the best ability.

Yes, Carson is confident, but that’s a key characteristic of an Alpha-Dog/field general. Imagine guys like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady without it.

And yet, we didn't need Wentz to carry the load, Stick went undefeated with the same team. Wentz didn't play within the team framework that's been the hallmark of our success the last 8 years. Stick played the role of QB, Wentz tried to play Superman. He still suffers from that in the pros, hopefully he'll figure that out, I have my doubts.