Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: California Votes to End NCAA Amateurism

Default Re: California Votes to End NCAA Amateurism

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    This idea opens up a big can of worms about who gets what and how much etc etc etc. I think at the crux of the whole issue is who can make money off of a another persons likeness-name. I think the NFL has a good handle on it. Because some are going to sell more jerseys etc with their name on it than others then all sales go in a pool and the proceeds distributed out evenly to all players.
    It definitely isn't going to be easy. The endorsement deal will interesting when athletes sign with companies that compete with their school's corporate sponsor (i.e. wearing NIKE shoes at an Adidas school).

When this gets approved, hopefully those who are making the guidelines, are wise and consider the opinions of all those involved.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    This idea opens up a big can of worms about who gets what and how much etc etc etc. I think at the crux of the whole issue is who can make money off of a another persons likeness-name. I think the NFL has a good handle on it. Because some are going to sell more jerseys etc with their name on it than others. All sales go in a pool and the proceeds distributed out evenly to all players.
    The union does that.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

If we're going to open Pandora's box and student-athletes are going to get paid let's open in it up all the way. That free ride scholarship and room and board. Not anymore, players can use their endorsement money to pay their own way. Players barely scraping through the NCAA clearinghouse and getting into school because they can play ball. Nope. Apply and get into school just like every other student. That means an 18 ACT isn't getting you into a place like Minnesota or Wisconsin where it takes a regular student a 26 ACT to get in.

These players want to be treated "fair" then let's treat them fair. You want to make money off college sports, you can pay your own way to school because it is the school that is providing you the platform that gives your name value. Case in point, Alabama fans care way more about the Alabama name on the front of the jersey than the Tua name on the back. He can be replaced, the school cannot. Which brings up another question, a school like Notre Dame has built a brand over the last 100 years, how much is that brand worth? How much should a Notre Dame player making endorsement money have to kick back to Notre Dame for use of the Irish brand?

It's not as simple as "the players should get paid". First, they are getting paid and a monetary value can be assigned to that pay when you add up tuition, room, board, and FCOA. Second, players being allowed to make money off their "image and likeness" is ripe for abuse and it will be the downfall of college athletics as the haves build a bigger gap from the have-nots and the entire playing field gets skewed to the point where fans just move on from college athletics because, what is the point, the system is rigged (worse than it is right now)?

ETA: Finally, what about all the former student-athletes out there? In the immortal words of Barrack Obama "you didn't build that", the players and coaches and everybody who came before you did. Now current student-athletes get to profit off of the generations' before them blood & sweat. GTFO with that. I want my cut too.

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    If we're going to open Pandora's box and student-athletes are going to get paid let's open in it up all the way. That free ride scholarship and room and board. Not anymore, players can use their endorsement money to pay their own way. Players barely scraping through the NCAA clearinghouse and getting into school because they can play ball. Nope. Apply and get into school just like every other student. That means an 18 ACT isn't getting you into a place like Minnesota or Wisconsin where it takes a regular student a 26 ACT to get in.

These players want to be treated "fair" then let's treat them fair. You want to make money off college sports, you can pay your own way to school because it is the school that is providing you the platform that gives your name value. Case in point, Alabama fans care way more about the Alabama name on the front of the jersey than the Tua name on the back. He can be replaced, the school cannot. Which brings up another question, a school like Notre Dame has built a brand over the last 100 years, how much is that brand worth? How much should a Notre Dame player making endorsement money have to kick back to Notre Dame for use of the Irish brand?

It's not as simple as "the players should get paid". First, they are getting paid and a monetary value can be assigned to that pay when you add up tuition, room, board, and FCOA. Second, players being allowed to make money off their "image and likeness" is ripe for abuse and it will be the downfall of college athletics as the haves build a bigger gap from the have-nots and the entire playing field gets skewed to the point where fans just move on from college athletics because, what is the point, the system is rigged (worse than it is right now)?

ETA: Finally, what about all the former student-athletes out there? In the immortal words of Barrack Obama "you didn't build that", the players and coaches and everybody who came before you did. Now current student-athletes get to profit off of the generations' before them blood & sweat. GTFO with that. I want my cut too.
    All in favor of reparations for Yote 53?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    All in favor of reparations for Yote 53?
    Um, nope. He's overthinking it.

The amount of college athletes who will be able to profit from their own image will not be a high percentage. Most that do will come from the two major college sports, football and men's basketball. Outside of some women athletes, those participating in the Olympic sports will hardly ever see a chance at getting endorsements unless they are really good during an Olympic year.

I don't see this affecting NCAA athletes that much as a whole. It just gives money to those who are marketable. Those who will be able to get endorsements will do it as themselves and most likely separate from their school. Similar to what we see with professional athletes when they dress with a generic uniform during a commercial unless their respective team is getting a cut too or agree to allow the athlete to use the uniform.
    Hail the BISON!!!

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Um, nope. He's overthinking it.

The amount of college athletes who will be able to profit from their own image will not be a high percentage. Most that do will come from the two major college sports, football and men's basketball. Outside of some women athletes, those participating in the Olympic sports will hardly ever see a chance at getting endorsements unless they are really good during an Olympic year.

I don't see this affecting NCAA athletes that much as a whole. It just gives money to those who are marketable. Those who will be able to get endorsements will do it as themselves and most likely separate from their school. Similar to what we see with professional athletes when they dress with a generic uniform during a commercial unless their respective team is getting a cut too or agree to allow the athlete to use the uniform.
    I agree it will largely affect those athletes but it will be used for much more than just "endorsements". Billy the owner of the local car wash will sign a "contract" with the top QB recruit to be the spokesperson for his car wash for $200k per year. He appears in one ad that is placed on cable access at 3am. State U has an alum who decides to offer $300k to endorse his lawn care business. That's the can of worms this opens. How do you manage and control that. And it could definitely affect the other sports at a smaller scale. I'm sure Iowa and Penn State compete against each other for wrestling recruits. The same thing could happen but on a much smaller scale.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I agree it will largely affect those athletes but it will be used for much more than just "endorsements". Billy the owner of the local car wash will sign a "contract" with the top QB recruit to be the spokesperson for his car wash for $200k per year. He appears in one ad that is placed on cable access at 3am. State U has an alum who decides to offer $300k to endorse his lawn care business. That's the can of worms this opens. How do you manage and control that. And it could definitely affect the other sports at a smaller scale. I'm sure Iowa and Penn State compete against each other for wrestling recruits. The same thing could happen but on a much smaller scale.
    Is that really the worst thing though? I firmly believe that today the same thing happens at A LOT of big time college football and men's basketball programs that have boosters with deep pockets. It's just taken care of very quietly and the money is laundered to avoid paper trails. I say pull up the curtain and quit pretending that these guys are amateur athletes... the business of college football and men's basketball is too big and profitable to enforce those amateurism rules at this point anyway. Let the athletes earn their market value.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Is that really the worst thing though? I firmly believe that today the same thing happens at A LOT of big time college football and men's basketball programs that have boosters with deep pockets. It's just taken care of very quietly and the money is laundered to avoid paper trails. I say pull up the curtain and quit pretending that these guys are amateur athletes... the business of college football and men's basketball is too big and profitable to enforce those amateurism rules at this point anyway. Let the athletes earn their market value.
    Pretty sure there is a to do happening around apparel companies paying recruits to attend schools who their companies sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Those things are already happening (not at the price you listed) and the NCAA pretty much has little ability to stop it. This is what was alluded to in the video series I posted last week: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...gTbtEQjV95noM3

Shenanigans like this are probably another reason why NDSU is focused at staying in the second tier of college football. I couldn't image the amount of secret money the "backers" would have raise every year to get blue-chip players to come to Fargo.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Pretty sure there is a to do happening around apparel companies paying recruits to attend schools who their companies sponsor.
    Yep. See what is happening at Kansas basketball right now. Some say to legalize it and bring it out in the open. I say it shouldn't be happening at all. Shoe companies placing high school players at targeted schools they have deals with? Players getting thousands of dollars from the shoe company IF they go to the RIGHT school? This whole thing is ridiculous.