Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: California Votes to End NCAA Amateurism

Default Re: California Votes to End NCAA Amateurism

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    Yep. See what is happening at Kansas basketball right now. Some say to legalize it and bring it out in the open. I say it shouldn't be happening at all. Shoe companies placing high school players at targeted schools they have deals with? Players getting thousands of dollars from the shoe company IF they go to the RIGHT school? This whole thing is ridiculous.
    Funny the shoe companies give zero fucks about what team a player is on in the NBA and clear of a system that confiscates their earning power, and robs them of their agency.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    Yep. See what is happening at Kansas basketball right now. Some say to legalize it and bring it out in the open. I say it shouldn't be happening at all. Shoe companies placing high school players at targeted schools they have deals with? Players getting thousands of dollars from the shoe company IF they go to the RIGHT school? This whole thing is ridiculous.
    You're living in a fantasy land if you think the bolded is even possible with the multi-billion dollar behemoth that college football and men's basketball have grown into.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It's not just high level college athletes. It's an open secret that Polaris hires the parents of certain high school students so they can live in Roseau and play on the hockey team.

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    It's not just high level college athletes. It's an open secret that Polaris hires the parents of certain high school students so they can live in Roseau and play on the hockey team.
    Name some. It's a well known FACT Roseau high school hockey team has historically had very few players who did not grow up there. Ever. It has always been what makes that program so different. Those kids grow up in that program.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Soo now that the NCAA is looking at approving this is some fashion
    https://www.inforum.com/sports/other...image-likeness

Does it allow the colleges that offer COA to deduct what the players are getting from outside sources from the COA??

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    You're living in a fantasy land if you think the bolded is even possible with the multi-billion dollar behemoth that college football and men's basketball have grown into.
    I struggle with this, as both you and Yote 53 are correct. I think athletes should be able to be paid for image/likeness, but how do you prevent this situation:

1. NDSU has a 3 star recruit commit for football over numerous FBS schools.
    2. PJ realizes he has a hole in his recruiting class, pulls up NDSU's verbals and sees this kid and decides to target him.
    3. Kid resists since NDSU has been so good to him, but PJ says, don't worry, "we'll take care of you." wink, wink
    4. Kid flips, and they find some connected booster to pay him for use of his "image/likeness".....

Again, I see both sides of this, however this is end of amateurism, and schools like NDSU will have a very, very hard time holding any kids with P5 offers. (It was already hard, but just wait.....it just won't happen.)

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    I struggle with this, as both you and Yote 53 are correct. I think athletes should be able to be paid for image/likeness, but how do you prevent this situation:

2. PJ realizes he has a hole in his recruiting class, pulls up NDSU's verbals and sees this kid and decides to target him.
    3. Kid resists since NDSU has been so good to him, but PJ says, don't worry, "we'll take care of you." wink, wink
    4. Kid flips, and they find some connected booster to pay him for use of his "image/likeness".....

Again, I see both sides of this, however this is end of amateurism, and schools like NDSU will have a very, very hard time holding any kids with P5 offers. (It was already hard, but just wait.....it just won't happen.)
    The impact is even bigger in Basketball, simply because you only need 5 guys.
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

How do you stop the local car salesman from paying for the image/likeness of any or all players.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

99Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

NCAA should start planning organized professional leagues, with tiers - something like how soccer is organized in Euro countries, eventually feeding into the NFL/NBA/etc being the top tier.

“Member Schools” have the stadiums, rights to pay for players/transfers/etc. Schools can offer the players schooling as a compensation option (eg. all non revenue sports), but not required.

Players get paid according to market value, and endorsement value just like anyone else, they may or may not attend the school as it’s entirely optional.

NCAA could generate significant amounts of revenue (like it does today) by organizing, facilitating the leagues, tourneys, sponsorships, etc at all levels.

Younger than college players are also entirely eligible for this as well. So perceived top players in what’s current AAU, HS and the likes can go into the profession early, similar to the hockey/etc leagues.

—-

Note:
    This requires the ncaa to honestly admit what’s going on and find a real solution. So very likely this will not happen by the accord of the ncaa. Cue yote53s comment... the have/have not gap widens, and slowly people stop caring about their mediocre school athletics in the popular sports and maybe cheer remotely for another school/semi pro team, or find something else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post

Most of the apocalyptic posts I've seen in opposition to this have something to do with recruiting and I've yet to see any indication that this will not still be a major recruiting violation even with these new rules in place. Now you can say "well, how are they going to enforce it when they don't know if the recruit was promised something before or after he was signed?" and that's a fair point but those are also rules they are enforcing now in terms of differentiating the level of contact boosters can have with recruits before and after they sign.

Besides I highly doubt you're going to see a whole lot of scenarios at NDSU's level where this even comes into play. There isn't an endless supply of money just waiting to be thrown at these guys. I think the money used by local businesses to seek endorsements from college players will come out of the money they would otherwise donate to the university. So is a coach really going to be in cahoots with the big money boosters about "taking care" of his recruits when he knows every dollar he squeezes out of them for that is one less dollar feeding his program's coffers? Maybe but I think that's territory that only the P5 level schools are going to be getting into. I doubt Matt Entz is going to be calling Mr Big Shot Scheels or Mr Big Shot Gateway Chevy to set up stuff like this. Even at the P5 level I don't think there's going to be that many players pocketing big change because of this.

Maybe I'm naïve. But maybe there's a ton of overreaction to this. I think it's the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    How do you stop the local car salesman from paying for the image/likeness of any or all players.
    You don't (as long as they're already players on the roster).

Quote Originally Posted by 99Bison View Post
    NCAA should start planning organized professional leagues, with tiers - something like how soccer is organized in Euro countries, eventually feeding into the NFL/NBA/etc being the top tier.

“Member Schools” have the stadiums, rights to pay for players/transfers/etc. Schools can offer the players schooling as a compensation option (eg. all non revenue sports), but not required.

Players get paid according to market value, and endorsement value just like anyone else, they may or may not attend the school as it’s entirely optional.

NCAA could generate significant amounts of revenue (like it does today) by organizing, facilitating the leagues, tourneys, sponsorships, etc at all levels.

Younger than college players are also entirely eligible for this as well. So perceived top players in what’s current AAU, HS and the likes can go into the profession early, similar to the hockey/etc leagues.

—-

Note:
    This requires the ncaa to honestly admit what’s going on and find a real solution. So very likely this will not happen by the accord of the ncaa. Cue yote53s comment... the have/have not gap widens, and slowly people stop caring about their mediocre school athletics in the popular sports and maybe cheer remotely for another school/semi pro team, or find something else to do.
    I don't think the NCAA has any business doing that. The NFL and NBA on the other hand...