Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: California Votes to End NCAA Amateurism

Default Re: California Votes to End NCAA Amateurism

Quote Originally Posted by 99Bison View Post
    NCAA should start planning organized professional leagues, with tiers - something like how soccer is organized in Euro countries, eventually feeding into the NFL/NBA/etc being the top tier.

“Member Schools” have the stadiums, rights to pay for players/transfers/etc. Schools can offer the players schooling as a compensation option (eg. all non revenue sports), but not required.

Players get paid according to market value, and endorsement value just like anyone else, they may or may not attend the school as it’s entirely optional.

NCAA could generate significant amounts of revenue (like it does today) by organizing, facilitating the leagues, tourneys, sponsorships, etc at all levels.

Younger than college players are also entirely eligible for this as well. So perceived top players in what’s current AAU, HS and the likes can go into the profession early, similar to the hockey/etc leagues.

—-

Note:
    This requires the ncaa to honestly admit what’s going on and find a real solution. So very likely this will not happen by the accord of the ncaa. Cue yote53s comment... the have/have not gap widens, and slowly people stop caring about their mediocre school athletics in the popular sports and maybe cheer remotely for another school/semi pro team, or find something else to do.
    And this is where I stop following college athletics, or at least pay as much attention to it as I do minor league baseball teams, which is very little.

I've heard people talking about the NCAA setting up rules to regulate all this and "cap" how much the earnings can be, but truth be told, good luck with that. Once you go down the road of allowing compensation for student-athletes it will be impossible to set up barriers. I mean, what is "fair compensation" for image and likeness? $20,000? $100,000? $1 million? The dollar amount is all relative depending on where you sit and your POV, which means there can be no limits because that would be "unfair" in principle.

Go down this road and the genie is now out of the bottle. The slow descent and destruction of college sports is at hand. The market for college sports is people watching because of the name on the front of the jersey that represents your school or your city/state (or maybe your religion ala Notre Dame or BYU), not the name on the back. The thin veil of amateurism makes it okay to watch a sub-par product because of school pride. If I want to watch paid professionals I can watch the NFL or any of the other pro sports leagues where the BEST players play.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    And this is where I stop following college athletics, or at least pay as much attention to it as I do minor league baseball teams, which is very little.

I've heard people talking about the NCAA setting up rules to regulate all this and "cap" how much the earnings can be, but truth be told, good luck with that. Once you go down the road of allowing compensation for student-athletes it will be impossible to set up barriers. I mean, what is "fair compensation" for image and likeness? $20,000? $100,000? $1 million? The dollar amount is all relative depending on where you sit and your POV, which means there can be no limits because that would be "unfair" in principle.

Go down this road and the genie is now out of the bottle. The slow descent and destruction of college sports is at hand. The market for college sports is people watching because of the name on the front of the jersey that represents your school or your city/state (or maybe your religion ala Notre Dame or BYU), not the name on the back. The thin veil of amateurism makes it okay to watch a sub-par product because of school pride. If I want to watch paid professionals I can watch the NFL or any of the other pro sports leagues where the BEST players play.
    You kind of imply this, but yeah, once amateurism ends there is no way schools are going to keep subsidizing them. Even without this, given the ridiculous costs for an increasingly unnecessary campus education these days, I think the whole thing is a house of cards.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    You kind of imply this, but yeah, once amateurism ends there is no way schools are going to keep subsidizing them. Even without this, given the ridiculous costs for an increasingly unnecessary campus education these days, I think the whole thing is a house of cards.
    Had not thought of that......interesting to ponder.....

So you are saying that this will effect the COA that colleges provide to the students......

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by imabison View Post
    So you are saying that this will effect the COA that colleges provide to the students......
    I'm saying students and politicians are not going to tolerate subsidizing paid athletes. I think the people who believe these athletes are undercompensated will be in for a rude awakening when they see what semi-professional athletes earn on the open market, that is if their sports can even exist there to begin with.

oldmantutters is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm saying students and politicians are not going to tolerate subsidizing paid athletes. I think the people who believe these athletes are undercompensated will be in for a rude awakening when they see what semi-professional athletes earn on the open market, that is if their sports can even exist there to begin with.
    If you were to consider NCAA football as the minor league of football and compare that to minor league baseball, give me the life of A NCAA football player.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

99Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default California Votes to End NCAA Amateurism

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post

Agreed, that was my point, “big time” college sports has a shelf life. NCAA can either organize to support an NCAA relevant future or go away and become about the other non big revenue sports.

Personally, doesn’t matter to me but ncaa may care . Writing is on the wall, amateur college is at the beginning of the end. How long it takes, dunno.

I'm saying students and politicians are not going to tolerate subsidizing paid athletes.

The faculty are going to love it!
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."