Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: California Votes to End NCAA Amateurism

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default California Votes to End NCAA Amateurism

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/09/s...alifornia.html

Essentially clearing the way for college athletes to be paid for endorsements. Can't imagine what could go wrong with that.

This is what the beginning of the end of collegiate athletics looks like.

Default Re: California Votes to End NCAA Amateurism

Yes, it will be a terrible day when people are paid what they’re worth.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Yes, it will be a terrible day when people are paid what they’re worth.
    And once they destroy college athletics, they will be. In minor leagues nobody cares about.

But I get it. Nobody in America can see the forest through their social media trees anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    And once they destroy college athletics, they will be. In minor leagues nobody cares about.

But I get it. Nobody in America can see the forest through their social media trees anymore.
    It already is the minor leagues for the sports people really care about: football and men's basketball. I'm all on board for ending the illusion that these guys are amateurs and let the market decide how they're compensated. If after they do this nobody cares about the new "minor leagues" there won't be any endorsement money to go around anyway.

I don't think a whole lot will change with football and men's basketball if this does happen. What will be hurt by this is non-revenue and Olympic sports and athletic department support staff because that's where the cuts will start in order to pay for all this stuff. The former is too bad since there's a lot of great student-athletes who live out their dreams in those sports but with the latter there's plenty of fat to trim that can be redistributed to the athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    It already is the minor leagues for the sports people really care about: football and men's basketball. I'm all on board for ending the illusion that these guys are amateurs and let the market decide how they're compensated. If after they do this nobody cares about the new "minor leagues" there won't be any endorsement money to go around anyway.

I don't think a whole lot will change with football and men's basketball if this does happen. What will be hurt by this is non-revenue and Olympic sports and athletic department support staff because that's where the cuts will start in order to pay for all this stuff. The former is too bad since there's a lot of great student-athletes who live out their dreams in those sports but with the latter there's plenty of fat to trim that can be redistributed to the athletes.
    That's just it. I don't believe schools will pay for it, and I don't believe the public will support public institutions paying for it.

To be clear, this law is only to allow endorsements, not pay direct from the schools. But it will allow schools to essentially buy their athletes through their corporate sponsors, which will create more disparity. More disparity means more noncompetitive schools which means less revenue for everybody else. And less donor revenue going back into other programs, since they would be paying athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    That's just it. I don't believe schools will pay for it, and I don't believe the public will support public institutions paying for it.

To be clear, this law is only to allow endorsements, not pay direct from the schools. But it will allow schools to essentially buy their athletes through their corporate sponsers, which will create more disparity. More disparity means more noncompetitive schools which means less revenue for everybody else.
    Yeah, I would guess that donations will go down if this law is adopted so schools will have to reduce their athletic budgets. So, if it was here, Scheels would donate less to NDSU and just pay Jabril Cox to do commercials for them. There's still a finite amount of money to go around in the industry (even though it's a huge amount). The difference is instead of funneling the money through the university's athletic department it'll go directly to the athletes. That's not necessarily a bad thing though IMO. The big boys still provide the most value just like they do now. Top prospects choose Bama and Oklahoma since they know they have a better chance to get drafted higher and make more money and *wink-wink* there may be some "extra" for them while they're there. With this there just wouldn't be the *wink-wink* part anymore.

But whether these lawmakers know it or not they are cutting the legs out from under college swimmers, soccer players, volleyball players, softball players, etc with this legislation. That's the downside of it that I see but I'm still in favor of it since it would also make the fat cats at the NCAA and big time college athletic departments tighten their belts a bit.

Should be interesting. Many were worried that killing amateurism at the Olympic-level would hurt the Games. Nearly 30 years later, the Olympics are still going strong and the athletes are much better off.
    Hail the BISON!!!

IndyBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Yeah, I would guess that donations will go down if this law is adopted so schools will have to reduce their athletic budgets. So, if it was here, Scheels would donate less to NDSU and just pay Jabril Cox to do commercials for them. There's still a finite amount of money to go around in the industry (even though it's a huge amount). The difference is instead of funneling the money through the university's athletic department it'll go directly to the athletes. That's not necessarily a bad thing though IMO. The big boys still provide the most value just like they do now. Top prospects choose Bama and Oklahoma since they know they have a better chance to get drafted higher and make more money and *wink-wink* there may be some "extra" for them while they're there. With this there just wouldn't be the *wink-wink* part anymore.

But whether these lawmakers know it or not they are cutting the legs out from under college swimmers, soccer players, volleyball players, softball players, etc with this legislation. That's the downside of it that I see but I'm still in favor of it since it would also make the fat cats at the NCAA and big time college athletic departments tighten their belts a bit.
    The staff at the NCAA work horrible hours and are under paid compared to what they could be doing in other industries. A lot of the revenue they get (primarily basketball tournament) goes to fund all the other sports. At the university level other than the coaches at a few dozen schools nobody is making a lot of money on athletics. That money is getting spread out to a lot of places.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The staff at the NCAA work horrible hours and are under paid compared to what they could be doing in other industries. A lot of the revenue they get (primarily basketball tournament) goes to fund all the other sports. At the university level other than the coaches at a few dozen schools nobody is making a lot of money on athletics. That money is getting spread out to a lot of places.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    By fat cats I'm talking about people like this guy: (NCAA President) Mark Emmert Received 60% Raise in '17, Made $3.9M Amid College Hoops Scandal

And this guy: Is (former Louisville AD) Tom Jurich worth his pay? His lawyer says yes, and then some

“Last year, his taxable income – enriched by the vesting of a $1.8 million annuity plus $1.6 million from the university to pay his taxes on it – totaled $5.3 million.

“Although the annuity was earned over several years and will be paid out in $200,000 installments, his listed income last year was more than the university budgeted for its departments of biology ($3.3 million), English ($4 million), history ($2.4 million) or mathematics ($3.5 million).”

It figures California (North Mexico) or land of fruit and nuts, would take the lead on this issue. This paying players while in college is plain stupid. Should have known the cost of tuition stipend wouldn't keep these fools happy. Go ahead destroy football you morons.