Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: UND Post-Game Thoughts/Discussion

ZHerd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: UND Post-Game Thoughts/Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by yopaulie View Post
    So he disagrees with a core philosophy that has been a critical staple of our success for years? Hope not. Pretty simple really...would you rather have a 18-19 year old with talent but little strength and conditioning, or that same player as a 22-23 year old with 4 years in our system and under Kramer.
    This. Losing a year of eligibility for 2 carries per game is just stupid. If they play him a lot more great. In his limited sample size he looks really talented

With such a young team, there may be years that more freshmen get in. You can't do that with every position but you can with some.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Yep. He wanted to come back but the timing was bad and we spent our available running back scholarship on a guy named Bruce Anderson, so he ended to going to UN_ Worked out well.
    He should be the poster boy for local talent on what not to do. Man how many poor decisions can you make. You'll get as many pro looks at NDSU as anywhere.
    Best DI Football Team in the Tri-State Area - AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by MinotBison View Post
    Someone over on SS suggested that that the Presidents of the Mo Valley schools should vote NDSU out of the conference just like they did with St. Thomas and the MIAC.
    To be fair, short of dropping back down to D2, it's their best move.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Dan View Post
    He should be the poster boy for local talent on what not to do. Man how many poor decisions can you make. You'll get as many pro looks at NDSU as anywhere.
    The kid took a P5 offer. It didnt end up working out the way he hoped. I wouldn't call that doing the wrong thing. He may not have ended up working out great in Fargo either.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Kode Johnson will play the whole year, book it. Entz is on record multiple times saying he differs from Coach K in that he believes if younger classman can contribute they should play. That and the new 4 game rule allows for a player to "red shirt" any year if they are injured and don't get in more the 4 games.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by yopaulie View Post
    So he disagrees with a core philosophy that has been a critical staple of our success for years? Hope not. Pretty simple really...would you rather have a 18-19 year old with talent but little strength and conditioning, or that same player as a 22-23 year old with 4 years in our system and under Kramer.
    I don't know if Entz's strategy is any different from Klieman's at all here. I can recall Klieman saying that if he thought that playing a true freshman gave them the best chance to win he was going to play him. Kobe Johnson's situation is almost identical to Bruce Anderson in 2015 when he played as a true frosh. That year they had King Frazier, Chase Morlock, Lance Dunn, and Darius Anderson so it's not like they needed help at RB but he was good enough to emerge as their primary kick returner and as a quality guy they could give 5-10 carries to when necessary. You could argue that had Klieman not done that Kobe Johnson would be redshirting this year since they'd still have Bruce Anderson as a 5th year senior bellcow RB. That does sound like a pretty nice option but ask yourself would they have beaten UNI in the 2015 quarters without Bruce's kick return TD??? It's a pretty interesting case study in this debate.

I think any coach would prefer to redshirt every player if they could but sometimes that doesn't necessarily help the team.

And even if you redshirt a kid there's a chance he gets hurt and misses another year anyway. I'm of the mindset if the kid can help us win now, play him.

And I wonder if he was being completely truthful whether or not Klieman regretted retaining Jabril Cox's redshirt in 2016. The story I've heard is that they didn't think he was mentally ready yet even though they already knew how physically gifted he was. I would guess that a healthy Jabril Cox would've came in pretty handy in that 2016 semi against JMU over a hobbled PGT or Matt Plank.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    And I wonder if he was being completely truthful whether or not Klieman regretted retaining Jabril Cox's redshirt in 2016. The story I've heard is that they didn't think he was mentally ready yet even though they already knew how physically gifted he was. I would guess that a healthy Jabril Cox would've came in pretty handy in that 2016 semi against JMU over a hobbled PGT or Matt Plank.
    4 game rule came a year too late. 1 or 2 defensive pieces would have won that game for us.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    4 game rule came a year too late. 1 or 2 defensive pieces would have won that game for us.
    This assumes JMU wouldn't have enjoyed a benefit as well.

Would be really annoyed to have every team apply these standards to "discount" their losses.
    College of Business Alumnus