Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire the clock mgmt coach

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Fire the clock mgmt coach

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    One of the things coaches avoid doing until necessary is putting stuff on video.

Two minute play calling reveals tendencies. If you want to practice that, NDSU has the best defense to do that against. Plus, you can do it in “practice” where no other opponent gets to dissect it.

I’m giving Coach a pass on his decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reasonable assessment, as a fan I still wanted to see us execute because it has not been a strong point in the past sans carson

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitybizon View Post
    Reasonable assessment, as a fan I still wanted to see us execute because it has not been a strong point in the past sans carson
    I can see not wanting to reveal our 2 minute drill. But we had a minute and a half, pocket full of timeouts... up by 2 scores. We only needed 35-40 yards for a field goal. That would have made it a 3 score lead instead of 2, and would have negated UND's getting the ball first after the break. We wouldn't have had to show off any big 2 minute tendencies to get that done. Obviously Entz didn't see it that way.... he didn't want to take the chance on going back on defense. His call, but not what I would have done.

All I know is it looked like Zimmer has been watching Bison games by the way the Vikes played on Sunday. The Falcons looked like they belonged in the pioneer league.

It was a coaching ERROR and instead of owning it, the cliches come out. cmon matt. do better.

have some brass balls and take this finely tuned machine for a ride and throttle down
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    It was a coaching ERROR and instead of owning it, the cliches come out. cmon matt. do better.

have some brass balls and take this finely tuned machine for a ride and throttle down
    Dude,
    You’re just pissed because we didn’t beat UND by more. They must be a bigger rival to you than they are to most of the rest of us. [emoji56][emoji1598][emoji1598][emoji1598]

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Don't know why that should change any of the fan's feelings on it, that's the reason they're getting paid is to figure that stuff out in high pressure situations.

I view that as a cop out cliche canned response in a way. What would they have done if it was middle part of the half and no halftime coming? Just run 3 conservative plays and punt it again and tell the defense don't get a 3 and out we have to get our crap into a pile on offense. But maybe it's all a ploy for later in the year when people think we're just going to run the clock out and we hit them hard.

I still think it was a bad decision not to be a bit more aggressive. Did it change the outcome of the game no, doesn't change my view of NDSU football as a whole either or coaching staff, other than I'll no longer ever expect them to "go" for it there. I view it as a missed opportunity for this young team (not to mention coaching staff) to gain meaningful experience with little to no risk of really screwing over the outcome of the game. I don't know why you wouldn't just have a 1 min or 2 min drill game plan that you grab as that has to really be separate from the rest of your game plan and only implemented in that situation. They do run those drills in practices, right?

That all said I probably sound a lot more upset than I really am. It just surprises me that so many people took an "aww shucks" approach to it.
    Repeat after me until you get it..."We have freshman QB who was starting his 2nd game" the game was firmly in our hands at that point, why even risk letting the Fawkers back into the game? Again, I woul liked to have seen the 2 minute offense, but I get why Enyz packed it in.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    Repeat after me until you get it..."We have freshman QB who was starting his 2nd game" the game was firmly in our hands at that point, why even risk letting the Fawkers back into the game? Again, I woul liked to have seen the 2 minute offense, but I get why Enyz packed it in.
    I want to see Lance run a two minute drill though!

Only partially kidding. I really want to see that, but still think 99 times out of 100 there you try and score before half.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Easy2Bbisonfan View Post
    All I know is it looked like Zimmer has been watching Bison games by the way the Vikes played on Sunday. The Falcons looked like they belonged in the pioneer league.
    The Bison throw the ball down the field once in a while. The Vikings with their 80 million dollar man did not.

wagsabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    I agree and like someone said before he has run it in practice against a pretty damn good defense. I’m in the camp where I feel like it would have been good to do but in the end. Wtf does it matter? We won by 31 and the decision that was made helped that.

Not trying to get a chunk play downfield on 1st or 2nd down was dumb and no amount of coaching cliches can change the fact that Entz coached scared in that situation. Take a couple shots and if you don't get anything run it on third down and the clock would have ran out either way. UND had no TO's left. They got the ball to start the second half. If they score on that drive it's 21-14 and a whole new ball game and sphincters would have puckered pretty hard. Go up 28-7 or even 24-7 and it's a non issue.