Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire the clock mgmt coach

Default Re: Fire the clock mgmt coach

I don't think he's a pussy and I don't think he was scared. I think probably he fell victim to the same things all of us humans do. Recency bias and loss aversion.

They're not scared to put anything on tape and they get at least some of the "new" thinking on binary decisions. They're going for PAT2 after all.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    It was a coaching ERROR and instead of owning it, the cliches come out. cmon matt. do better.

have some brass balls and take this finely tuned machine for a ride and throttle down
    Ok you need to take a deep breath.

This can be looked at both ways and can think of examples going both ways. I remember being irate a couple years ago with Klieman when we were playing at Youngstown and CK pissed the last 2 minutes of the first half down his leg and was only rescued from a loss by a Pelini meltdown. A few more first half points would have been nice. We might have gotten an even better meltdown from Pelini too.

Now the other side. Back when we played the Gophers for the last time the Gophs had the ball and were trying to get down field quickly with little time remaining, and that quickly turned into a pick six from which they never recovered.

Six of one, half dozen of another.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

I think the answer of whether we should have implemented 2-min drill will come when and if we have to this year. If we fail because of execution/poor play calling, we’ll then that may be from lack of experience from not trying it. If we succeed, there’s a bunch of us here who should and will eat crow.

We also have not yet put our DL schemes on film yet, nor our real diamond package, nor our play action to TEs off of A-Gap power look.<—-that look would have produced against UND, but we really didnt need it with what we otherwise had going on with flaring TEs,which is actually a new look when teams are doxing the inside box with 8-9 players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    Repeat after me until you get it..."We have freshman QB who was starting his 2nd game" the game was firmly in our hands at that point, why even risk letting the Fawkers back into the game? Again, I woul liked to have seen the 2 minute offense, but I get why Enyz packed it in.
    But our all world D would've held up, UND didn't hardly even get into fg range.

You're still up 21-14 even in the worse case scenario. That's taking the negative.

Heck we could have scored on a half aggressive play on first down and we're up 28-7... It goes both ways is all I'm saying. I am more of the you take your opportunity when it presents itself.

Everyone keeps saying what if they score on a turnover. What if bugs bunny ran across the field?

Sent by my phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Not trying to get a chunk play downfield on 1st or 2nd down was dumb and no amount of coaching cliches can change the fact that Entz coached scared in that situation. Take a couple shots and if you don't get anything run it on third down and the clock would have ran out either way. UND had no TO's left. They got the ball to start the second half. If they score on that drive it's 21-14 and a whole new ball game and sphincters would have puckered pretty hard. Go up 28-7 or even 24-7 and it's a non issue.
    This. All day this. UND having ZERO timeouts left plays a big part in this situation. You are in total control of the clock.

Ahh the old hindsight “we should’ve done X” lmao could you imagine if Trey would’ve thrown a pick 6? You same people calling Entz scared would be calling him an idiot.

I’ll bite though:

1) In an evenly-matched game it makes sense to take chances that slightly favor you, but have a large point swing potential. That being said this was not an evenly-matched game. AKA you shouldn’t introduce unnecessary risk into a game in which you already have a comfortable margin.

2) Best case scenario we score a touchdown and go up 28-7. Worst case scenario we give up a cheap touchdown, 21-14. Those seven points mean the most to the losing team in that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Ahh the old hindsight “we should’ve done X” lmao could you imagine if Trey would’ve thrown a pick 6? You same people calling Entz scared would be calling him an idiot.

I’ll bite though:

1) In an evenly-matched game it makes sense to take chances that slightly favor you, but have a large point swing potential. That being said this was not an evenly-matched game. AKA you shouldn’t introduce unnecessary risk into a game in which you already have a comfortable margin.

2) Best case scenario we score a touchdown and go up 28-7. Worst case scenario we give up a cheap touchdown, 21-14. Those seven points mean the most to the losing team in that scenario.
    Ok, so then what are the chances of those outcomes and how do they impact the chance of winning the game given the skill differential between the teams?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Ok, so then what are the chances of those outcomes and how do they impact the chance of winning the game given the skill differential between the teams?
    UND scoring a touchdown there obviously increases their chances of winning much more than us scoring would lessen their chances of winning.

You're smart enough so I doubt you’re arguing that, I assume your point is that we were much more likely to score at that point than they were?

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post

I’ll bite though:

Um, it's not really hindsight when people were disagreeing with the decision while it was actually occurring.