Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 Wrestling Schedule

Default Re: 2019-2020 Wrestling Schedule

Looks like no: Sykora, Van Maanen, De La Riva, or Shearer.

157 should be outstanding. Everyone in the bracket is legit, including a lot of young Gophers and some D2 AAs. I want to see a Weber-Brolsma semifinal

141 off to an interesting start for NDSU.

Degen trailed Rashidi Kipoka of Nothland CC (and Fargo South) early, before getting a fall.

Sam Hampton beat Marcus Polanco of Mn, who is a top 100 recruit from the 2019 class.

Dylan Droegemuller dropped a 5-3 dec to Carlson from SDSU. Carlson is really good, but Droegemuller was in deep on several shot and just couldn't finish.

We have 4 champions 57 Franek, Fogerty 65, Eaton at 97, and Metz at HWT. I like Ripplinger's results also taking 3rd at 33.

My thoughts:
    125- I was really hoping to see Midkiff and McKee square off but Jordan had other ideas. Nice to see Midkiff bounce back and trounce Vega. Gamet had a nice win over Jordan, but I wasn't overly impressed with his offense throughout the day. I want to see him continue to develop some attacks and open it up this year.
    133- Ripplinger was alright. Didn't wow me, but a third place finish is nothing to sneeze at. 133 was a very weak bracket overall.
    141- I feel like Degen still has to be the starter, but Droegemuller is right there. Droegemuller lost to Carlson in two close matches and had a chance to beat him in both, and Carlson was the 2nd best guy in the bracket IMO. Degen got some wins, made the finals, and didn't do anything to lose the job.
    149- Michael Weber looked pretty solid. He made some sloppy mistakes, but showed some very good flashes.
    157- Nice day for Franek. Brolsma was an NCAA qualifier last year and is generally viewed as a top 15-25 guy at the weight. Weber had a disappointing day against some Minnesota youngsters. Weber needs to get back on his offense and re-focus. I will say that he got absolutely screwed in his consolation match vs Baylor Fernandes. He clearly had a takedown with 2 seconds left, but the ref refused to award it because the tapper had told the ref time expired and he blew the whistle.
    165- Fogarty was solid.
    174- Noel needs to figure out how to take his first period wrestling and apply it to the other two periods. He has flashes of brilliance, but they are pretty much exclusively in the first period. Brenner looked alright as well. Habisch had a really bad match.
    184- Pottinger needs to get more aggressive on his feet. He just isn't opening it up and is allowing guys to hang around. Cressel looked good on his feet, but got sloppy on top. I was actually pleasantly surprised in Wokojance at different points today. I know he didn't place, but he showed some solid skill.
    197- Great day for all three NDSU guys. Eaton was calm and in control all day and got an important win over MN starter Joles. Nelson had a big win over Dylan Anderson, who was the MN starter last year. Nelson really impressed me with his athleticism and looks like he has the perfect frame to add weight and become a really athletic heavyweight. I'm interested to see if he is a 197 or HWT long term. Witzig also beat MN starter Joles and nearly beat Anderson too.
    HWT- Another solid performance by Metz. He was calm and in control all day. His match vs Wolters was executed very well and he didn't force anything.

Overall, I'm still not convinced we know who will be the starter at 141, 174, or 184. Franek seemed to cement his job at 157 today.

Is NDSU supposed to be any good this year?
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Is NDSU supposed to be any good this year?
    They should be decent at worst, and fairly good in my opinion. I'm hoping for a minimum top-3 at the Big 12 and a top-25 finish at the NCAA's.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    They should be decent at worst, and fairly good in my opinion. I'm hoping for a minimum top-3 at the Big 12 and a top-25 finish at the NCAA's.
    Top 3 doesn't leave a lot of margin for error. How do you have the teams ranked?

Especially with what Northern Colorado has looked like early on.

Nobody can touch OK State. Iowa State is solid top to bottom. UNC has a bunch of talent. UNI is always tough.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioBison View Post
    Top 3 doesn't leave a lot of margin for error. How do you have the teams ranked?
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Especially with what Northern Colorado has looked like early on.

Nobody can touch OK State. Iowa State is solid top to bottom. UNC has a bunch of talent. UNI is always tough.
    I believe after Oklahoma State, it's a free for all to finish in the top half of the Big 12. OU, Fresno State, Wyoming and Utah Valley also have enough talent that could push their teams top half finish if they wrestle well at the Big 12 Championships.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Bunch of guys are registered for the Daktronics open in Brookings tomorrow. Should be a great test for the no starters as Nebraska, Minnesota, and SDSU all send a bunch of guys.

Michael Nelson and Ty Moser wrestled at the Cobber Open. Nelson beat the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and fifth place finishers on his way to the title. He beat Moser 4-0 and Moser wound up taking 4th. Nelson looks to be a very, very good find