Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Butler Post Game Thoughts/Discussion

Default Re: Butler Post Game Thoughts/Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Butler played another NAIA school in our conference (Taylor) this weekend and lost by 3. It's still pretty good football but not at the level of NDSU. My game was produced by a local company but they streamed through ESPN3. If you are really bored looking for an exciting football game check it out. It came down to a late FG.

https://www.espn.com/watch/player?ca...f-13220bf153d1
    No disrespect to Taylor...but as if we needed more evidence that FCS in the aggregate has become a joke. When FCS teams lose to NAIA teams, it is time to re-evaluate whether we're playing at the right level. If necessary, I'd even apply for a waiver and go Indy. Plenty of other independents now with which to schedule home and homes. Or maybe some here would just as soon have us play Taylor like our peers do.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professorbum View Post
    No disrespect to Taylor...but as if we needed more evidence that FCS in the aggregate has become a joke. When FCS teams lose to NAIA teams, it is time to re-evaluate whether we're playing at the right level. If necessary, I'd even apply for a waiver and go Indy. Plenty of other independents now with which to schedule home and homes. Or maybe some here would just as soon have us play Taylor like our peers do.
    The Pioneer conference is essentially a good D3 conference since they are D1 schools that don't give athletic scholarships for football. They probably have bigger endowments than D3 schools so they can provide more academic money in recruiting and you get access to other D1 athletics. NAIA is better football than D3 so there is no shame in a D3 school losing to an NAIA school or in this case a modified D3 school playing FCS. These teams are in the same conference so they mostly play each other.

The reason for this is all these schools used to be D3 football but D1 everything else. About 20 years ago the NCAA passed legislation you needed to participate in the same level for all sports assuming your level had a Championship for that sport. This was their solution. They are mostly very good schools that are academic peers. Butler, Dayton, and Valpo are all very well respected schools in this area.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

What they need to do is force these schools to either fund the sports they want to be in, get to the level they belong or get rid of the sports they obviously don't care about. It's a joke lumping all these different levels of support into the same divisions. If you want to be a D1 school you should have to support all your D1 programs. If you can't then you are in the wrong division!

WeAreThePride is offline Senior DC Correspondent Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    What they need to do is force these schools to either fund the sports they want to be in, get to the level they belong or get rid of the sports they obviously don't care about. It's a joke lumping all these different levels of support into the same divisions. If you want to be a D1 school you should have to support all your D1 programs. If you can't then you are in the wrong division!
    Why? They’ve found a system that works for them. What business is it of ours?

This is about basketball money. Why would you throw that away on a football team when you could just put it in your pocket?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    This is about basketball money. Why would you throw that away on a football team when you could just put it in your pocket?
    Because alumni still love to come back to campus in the Fall and watch a football game on a Saturday afternoon. The Pioneer League does not hurt the FCS brand at all. Most people understand they are different (similar to Ivy and HBCU being a different flavor of FCS).

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Ran into a former Georgetown University football player (from their D3 era), and asked him why they continue to play football at the D1 level, suggesting they could make it a club sport instead... he said that some of their big donors insist that they keep football as a varsity sport... I am sure it's that way at a lot of those schools.

Quote Originally Posted by WeAreThePride View Post
    Why? They’ve found a system that works for them. What business is it of ours?
    Because the product sucks. Go play club if you don't want to spend money on the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by NovaBison View Post
    Ran into a former Georgetown University football player (from their D3 era), and asked him why they continue to play football at the D1 level, suggesting they could make it a club sport instead... he said that some of their big donors insist that they keep football as a varsity sport... I am sure it's that way at a lot of those schools.
    Like I said the NCAA should make them either pay to play or kick them to the club level.

Will MAC schools be forced to fund football at P5 levels???