Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Freshman Four - 2019 Edition

Default Re: The Freshman Four - 2019 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by coloradobison View Post
    yes 10 char
    Right so we all need to recalibrate our thinking regarding redshirts. If Kobe Johnson plays this year his redshirt is not “burned” but rather deferred. It will only truly be “burned” if it has not been used AND he steps on the field for a snap for his fifth game of his true senior season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    Right so we all need to recalibrate our thinking regarding redshirts. If Kobe Johnson plays this year his redshirt is not “burned” but rather deferred. It will only truly be “burned” if it has not been used AND he steps on the field for a snap for his fifth game of his true senior season.

I think the four game rule makes it more likely to be used later in a player's career in case of an injury early in a season. That's the major recalibration I see. Like you said it's less likely their shirt is burned their freshman year. Just hung on the rack to be pulled back out if they ever get a season ending injury before the 5th game of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    I think the four game rule makes it more likely to be used later in a player's career in case of an injury early in a season. That's the major recalibration I see. Like you said it's less likely their shirt is burned their freshman year. Just hung on the rack to be pulled back out if they ever get a season ending injury before the 5th game of the year.
    Agreed and as long as a player is physically and mentally ready, and is able to command the understanding of the playbook to the extent that the team requires then why not let them contribute during their true freshman season. As you say, bank that redshirt for another year when perhaps we are either more flush than normal at the position group or the player suffers a season altering injury.

Don't believe everything you think.

My guess is opposing OC's are learning to gameplan this way against Cox:

Plus he’s playing a new position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hail the BISON!!!

X-Factor is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    Plus he’s playing a new position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This has to be more of the issue, or could add to that with coaching changes too.

UC Davis

JULIAN WLODARCZYK
    KOBE JOHNSON
    GRIFFIN CROSA
    LUKE WEERTS

Wlodarczyk, Johnson, and Crosa all have their toes on the bank of the Rubicon.

Illinois State Redbirds:

JULIAN WLODARCZYK
    KOBE JOHNSON
    GRIFFIN CROSA
    LUKE WEERTS

Wlodarczyk, Johnson, and Crosa have all burned their redshirt now. Weerts is next closest in the class with 3 games so far.

Jasir Cox also played so less likely this year will be a redshirt year for him with an extended injury.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    all 4 lose thier shirt is my prediction
    Chapo Nostradamus level nearly achieved.

With the largest freshman class in team history, we almost have to play some players just to balance the numbers out. Unless we want 32 seniors in 2023. Even if we lose 5 more to attrition or injuries (we already lost a few), we would have 27 seniors in 2023. Kind of throws the numbers off. You want low attrition, but you also dont want to have 30+ seniors, which makes the 2024 season a bit more challenging. So if we need to pull a few more redshirts... it makes sense

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

My guess is opposing OC's are learning to gameplan this way against Cox:

Any game plan vs the Bison defense has to involve knowing where 42 is and calling plays accordingly. What a huge advantage.