Thread: 2019 MVFC Season

Default Re: 2019 MVFC Season

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    MVFC 0-4 today.
    Yeah well with their hype video and game,

JSU 0-1,000,000 today.

Facts is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Sota would probably finish 3rd or 4th in the Valley...
    Go Bison.

Saw more ineligible lineman running downfield on the rabbit's RPOs last night. Crazy how many times they get away with it in every darn game.

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBison View Post
    Saw more ineligible lineman running downfield on the rabbit's RPOs last night. Crazy how many times they get away with it in every darn game.
    Yeah, I only watched a couple minutes, and saw their center start lumbering upfield way before the QB passed the ball.

I blame myself for the jackrabbit's loss because they had the ball and the lead and I was all "sweep the leg! Sweep the leg!". (Insert fumble here)

Note: I always hope rivals win all their games until NDSU plays them, and then hope they lose every game after. That's the optimal formula... Science!

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBison View Post
    Commit an infraction enough times, and it starts to look normal

I don't typically pick up on these things enough, do refs call it much? Notre Dame runs some RPO's but I can't recall seeing penalties for it so either they aren't getting called or they are just running it the way intended.

Would be a good time for Indy to make an appearance and explain how refs go about their business on those types of plays. Lot going on their for an official to keep his eyes on.
    College of Business Alumnus

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Commit an infraction enough times, and it starts to look normal

I don't typically pick up on these things enough, do refs call it much? Notre Dame runs some RPO's but I can't recall seeing penalties for it so either they aren't getting called or they are just running it the way intended.

Would be a good time for Indy to make an appearance and explain how refs go about their business on those types of plays. Lot going on their for an official to keep his eyes on.
    That's a great question. Ineligible downfield player (IDP in official parlance) is one of the tougher calls to get especially with RPO. The challenge is you need knowledge of two different things (location of lineman and release of pass) at the same time in two different areas of the field. Each official is responsible for watching specific players on each play and nobody would ever have those two players at the same time.

The LOS officials have primary responsibility for this which is odd because they have responsibility for the line of scrimmage (i.e. pass caught behind/beyond, QB passing beyond LOS) but they aren't watching interior linemen unless they pull their way leading a sweep. The umpire is secondary and often the one who would catch this. As an umpire, I read run/pass just like a linebacker does (first step by lineman). An effective RPO is a run read because the linemen's first step is forward. In that case I stay put (pass read I move toward the LOS). Once I see any of the linemen at least 3 yards downfield (the line for IDP) I take a quick peak in the backfield to see if the QB still has the ball. If the ball is gone or he's in the process of throwing it, I let it go. If he still has it an eventually throws a pass first touched beyond the LOS, then I have a flag. If a lineman leaks out the backside I'm not going to be looking there and I would need the offside wing official to pick up that one. He may or may not see it based on where his keys take his attention.

Earlier in my college career I had plays where I see a pass and then I see a lineman 6-8 yards downfield and think I have an easy IDP. Then I see the film and stop it when the pass is released and the lineman is still within the 3 yards. Even those big guys can cover 3-5 yards pretty quickly. I was wrong enough I had to change my approach to make sure I was right because you don't want a cheap foul there.

So it's hard to get right consistently, but guys working in the B1G are going to be much better at it because they've had a lot more experience and have seen it a lot. But it's still tricky. If you go back to watch the plays stop the video the instance the ball leaves the QB's hand. You'll be surprised how often the linemen are still within 3 yards. It's not always easy but try to see which direction the U or H/L are looking (use the bill of their cap).

Northern Iowa at Iowa State on FS1 now.
    ‘Clones up 3-0 in 2nd quarter

Still 3-0 at half. ISU outgains UNI 2-1.
    But Panthers take 1st possession of 2nd half, get a few good plays and a true freshman kicks a 50 yard fg. Tie game 3/3 in 3rd.

UNI with a fumble recovery for TD. 13-10 UNI.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

ISU missed a 31yd FG to tie it up. Still 13-10 UNI