Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Sagarin Says

Default Re: 2019 Sagarin Says

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    Ah, yeah, i remember this article... If JMU makes a likely appearance in the final, should bump them up to 2, yeah?
    Probably just short because the 16 teams remaining right now are each getting an equal share of the points still to be determined.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Probably just short because the 16 teams remaining right now are each getting an equal share of the points still to be determined.
    except for EWU... because they didn't make the playoffs...
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I've never placed a bet on there but I assume they would. In their eyes you're basically giving them $10. They try to put a number on those bets to entice people to bet even the longest shots.

Btw, those amounts are for $100 bets. I'm pretty sure you can still bet $10 but you'd "only" win 20k on those long shots rather than 200k.
    My bad, got 200000:1 and +200000 mixed/thinking they were the same. Makes it a little different story.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post
    #DukesDecade #DukeDynasty
    Careful. There's a bobo over on the JMU board who constantly reports back about how obsessed we are.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Careful. There's a bobo over on the JMU board who constantly reports back about how obsessed we are.
    Purple:NDSU::SiouxVolley:NDSU

Let the boy watch.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

I hope he's gathering support to counter our effort to keep streamers out of Toyota Stadium. Otherwise they best get working on another concessions boycott.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    From a statistical point of view, I'm pretty sure increasing the number of plays should end up resulting in a larger sample size and allow the better team to end up asserting their will on the game.

Fewer snaps allows for outliers to play a bigger role I think. Hence why a lot of games are close for a quarter or a half? Need audit to step in here.
    The number of possessions each team has, outcome of possession (including ending field position), is what matters. Especially the outcome of a possession ending in a turnover or turnover resulting in a score the other way. Not number of plays.

Generally in sports, a team has the significant advantage that possession of the ball is stealing the other teams possible possession time.

This is not a blackjack table with “infinite” time to increase the sample size and everyone gets a hand per deal. Or infinite time to catch up after a random event.

Without a shot clock should the better basketball team keep running the ball down if they have the lead? Even if they don’t have the lead, but plenty of time?

Would that increase or decrease variance in the outcome of the game? Chances that a random steal for a dunk the other way occur?

More plays increases the chance for random events to occur in a single game.

Yes this goes both ways, but I only need to win by 1. I don’t get to carry my blackjack winnings to the next game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by I miss Chubs View Post
    The number of possessions each team has, outcome of possession (including ending field position), is what matters. Especially the outcome of a possession ending in a turnover or turnover resulting in a score the other way. Not number of plays.

Generally in sports, a team has the significant advantage that possession of the ball is stealing the other teams possible possession time.

This is not a blackjack table with “infinite” time to increase the sample size and everyone gets a hand per deal. Or infinite time to catch up after a random event.

Without a shot clock should the better basketball team keep running the ball down if they have the lead? Even if they don’t have the lead, but plenty of time?

Would that increase or decrease variance in the outcome of the game? Chances that a random steal for a dunk the other way occur?

Yes this goes both ways, but I only need to win by 1. I don’t get to carry my blackjack winnings to the next game.

Clearly you've spent some time contemplating this. I don't agree with your conclusion, but you've engaged the problem in a non trivial way.

Seems like all else equal, playing faster means more plays which also means, on average, more possessions. I'm not sure how much one matters over the other. But wouldn't you expect them to move in the same direction.

I'm not sure I understand entirely the point with the blackjack analogy. The game is only infinite for the house. If you sit forever, you will lose, unless you are counting, in which case you will be invited to leave. But the whole thing is we are talking about how an underdog should play, which is what you are at a blackjack table. In that case the game isn't infinite, the player is in complete control of how long it lasts.

Sure the more plays there are the more random stuff is going to accumulate on both sides of the ledger but our sports are skill games and with more trials more skill is applied to both sides of the ledger as well.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by I miss Chubs View Post

In blackjack, the moment you are winning you should quit playing. The more hands you play, the more the odds will favor the house. The house always wins. Always.

In games of skill, the winner is most often the one who controlled the parts of the game they can control. In football, it isn't a coincidence, the team who controls the clock generally wins. Of course, to control the clock, one must occasionally move the ball.

I don't see the logic in taking on a team that scores 40+ points a game and I score 20 and say our odds increase with more chances for them to do what they do best. Score points. Couple this with what my team doesn't do which is score 40 points a game. Not a winning mix. Generally ever.

You slow down the game. Control what you can control. Now mistakes are magnified exponentially. Differences in expected outcomes are magnified as they can't be overcome. You are pulling the spark plugs on their 12 cylinder jaguar and you now can keep up with your Kia.

Auburn beat Alabama because Auburn already was capable of putting 40+ points on that team. The number of programs, even on the greatest of days, that can drop 40 on ther Bison are so limited the balls out method isn't even attempted by the craziest of coaches. Wanting to run 100 plays and keep giving the ball back is suicide. It does make for a much more interesting game for those who like to see offense.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk