Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU 10th best football program of all time

Default Re: NDSU 10th best football program of all time

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    I'd say it's just more relevant to the point of the ranking than Gameday's appearance in Fargo.
    Except that the FBS wins have no additional relevance at all in this ranking (other than adding to the winning percentage).

But yes, Gameday appearances have no relevance at all in this ranking either, except that it’s an ESPN article and Fargo’s ESPN Gameday appearances probably still stick out to those compiling this data, or writing the story.

But that’s the good news too. NDSU would still be ranked #10 on this list even if our FBS record was 0-15 and we had no Gameday appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Greta Van Herd View Post
    Except that the FBS wins have no additional relevance at all in this ranking (other than adding to the winning percentage).

But yes, Gameday appearances have no relevance at all in this ranking either, except that it’s an ESPN article and Fargo’s ESPN Gameday appearances probably still stick out to those compiling this data, or writing the story.

But that’s the good news too. NDSU would still be ranked #10 on this list even if our FBS record was 0-15 and we had no Gameday appearances.
    It would serve as a preemptive "talk to the hand" for the type of comments on Twitter questioning why a lower level team should even be considered for the list.

Yes, ndsu has juice. Not joose
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB/status/1162009994600112129

Fun reading the FBS fan butthurt tweets about NDSU being on the list. They should call their favorite FBC school's AD and ask if they've turned down a game against the Bison.
    Most of them are fans of one of the Florida teams. Those teams have been pretty good, but mostly only during my lifespan. I lot of the salty commentators don't seem to realize the list is college football (no division stated) and all-time (covering more than the past quarter century, although the 30% for win percentage since integration is a great boost for NDSU compared to the pre and early modern years).
    Hail the BISON!!!

Hopefully everyone went to the bottom of the original article to read the methodology, but in case they didn't:

The formula
    Basic model
    Dominance, 20% -- number of national championships
    Peak strength, 20% -- winning percentage for best 50 seasons in program history
    Since integration, 30% -- winning percentage over the past 50 seasons (1969-2018)
    Early modern, 20% -- winning percentage over the middle 50 seasons (1919-1968). Mostly pre-integration and included some games against non-college teams
    Pre-modern, 10% -- winning percentage over the first 50 seasons (1869-1918) *mostly pre-standardization of current rules and many games against non-college teams

Adjustments
    National championships below the FBS level count at 50%
    National championships before the poll era (1936) count at 50%
    Winning percentages when a team was not in Division I are reduced by 10%
    Wonder where NDSU would rank if you eliminated the sub-FBS penalties?

Man, IF, GameDay comes back this year, triggering Florida fans with signs is going to be fun and too damn easy
    “Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't” - Jerry Rice

Couldn't help myself.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Wonder where NDSU would rank if you eliminated the sub-FBS penalties?
    Either I'm missing something pretty big, or the formula isn't complete. Removing the penalties, I got a score of 59.01. The article ranked us higher at 63.6.

Only caveat I can think of is that I didn't include playoff games(they weren't in the data set I was using). Surprising that the removal of the playoff record would make that much of a difference.

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdThat! View Post
    Man, IF, GameDay comes back this year, triggering Florida fans with signs is going to be fun and too damn easy
    I live in Florida and you are right...doesn't take much to trigger UF or UCF fans...even though UCF has been relevant for less than 10 years. FSU fans are a bit more reserved, but they still hang onto the glory days...which won't be coming back any time soon.

But they aren't good at reading either. I wear my gear around and they all ask how the Packers are going to be this year...want to beat them with a wrench.

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Haha! Perfect!
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS