Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NCAA Finances Updated

Default Re: NCAA Finances Updated

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    I don't see how that is sustainable. I sure as hell wouldn't pay a school that kind of money for entertainment. Plenty of other options for a quality education are available. It's insane how many kids just pay it without batting an eye. At some point they'll wake up.
    People complain about student loan debt, but nobody drills down into what is causing the skyrocketing costs of education -- I realize athletic spending is probably not the main cause of increasing costs, but it is definitely a contributing factor - does Alabama really need 5 state schools playing at the FBS level? I have no problem with schools playing FBS football, but when the state, school, and/or students subsidize 80% of the costs, somebody needs to put their foot down.

Quote Originally Posted by NovaBison View Post
    People complain about student loan debt, but nobody drills down into what is causing the skyrocketing costs of education -- I realize athletic spending is probably not the main cause of increasing costs, but it is definitely a contributing factor - does Alabama really need 5 state schools playing at the FBS level? I have no problem with schools playing FBS football, but when the state, school, and/or students subsidize 80% of the costs, somebody needs to put their foot down.
    State government is pulling back on funding higher ed and schools are raising tuition to cover the gap. The system is broken and the only way to fix it is to reduce overhead – eliminate administrators and administrative staff through mergers and acquisitions. Bureaucracies just tend to naturally grow themselves. New rules and regulations related to compliance, for example, prompt new hires to accommodate the new requirements. These are people that will never set foot in a classroom or lab.

Yes, somebody needs to put their foot down but at the same time the alumni bases of these schools don’t want it to be their school. This is huge problem that will come to a head at some point because of current demographic trends. The solution in ND is obvious but nobody wants to hear it.

In the case of JMU, they are sufficiently close to DC that land is ridiculously expensive. Take your house in West Fargo and plop it down in Arlington VA. You’d be shocked at the price. Plus, you have the DC effect itself, with elevated salaries and lots of rich kids. JMU reaps the benefit of that proximity.

But I don’t see any way they get into the AAC. Their research profile is pretty weak (I'm being kind) and this matters to the higher-level conferences.

YEESH 80% funded by student fees??!?!

lol, JMU twitter loves bragging about their athletic budget being so high. What dumb-asses. Seriously, so f*cken stupid
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    State government is pulling back on funding higher ed and schools are raising tuition to cover the gap. The system is broken and the only way to fix it is to reduce overhead – eliminate administrators and administrative staff through mergers and acquisitions. Bureaucracies just tend to naturally grow themselves. New rules and regulations related to compliance, for example, prompt new hires to accommodate the new requirements. These are people that will never set foot in a classroom or lab.

Yes, somebody needs to put their foot down but at the same time the alumni bases of these schools don’t want it to be their school. This is huge problem that will come to a head at some point because of current demographic trends. The solution in ND is obvious but nobody wants to hear it.

In the case of JMU, they are sufficiently close to DC that land is ridiculously expensive. Take your house in West Fargo and plop it down in Arlington VA. You’d be shocked at the price. Plus, you have the DC effect itself, with elevated salaries and lots of rich kids. JMU reaps the benefit of that proximity.

But I don’t see any way they get into the AAC. Their research profile is pretty weak (I'm being kind) and this matters to the higher-level conferences.
    You're not far off here. Labor costs (including legacy costs) for government of all stripes are the real problem, and we get very little for all the money spent. I think I paid $350 per quarter for unlimited credits my freshman year, what happened? We let them govern themselves, basically. How many courses in a year does the average professor teach; one, maybe two. One to one student to administator ratio. Silly degree programs that feed weak minds and lead to a job at Bed Bath and Beyond. The state of Montana is cutting programs left and right, we should have been doing that 20 years ago. In how many states is the football coach the highest paid state employee? It's ridicululous.

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post

lol, JMU twitter loves bragging about their athletic budget being so high. What dumb-asses. Seriously, so f*cken stupid
    Which leads to the question, what type of support does JMU get from their alumni base after college? Do they have the attitude "screw you" since I already paid an extra $12k in student fees to support the sports programs

Or do they actually help out the school after college?

Can't tell from this. But compare to NDSU, they have a lower student fee, but then attempt to get you into a look term giving mode to the university. Either through Teammakers, Alumni Foundation or the colleges themselves.

Also, if the JMU fee indirectly/directly leads to higher student debt upon graduation, to me this would negatively impact future giving since they are in essence paying off the "old" contribution that was required.

NDSU has the lowest subsidized % of athletic revenue of any school listed fielding an FCS football team yet has the 9th highest athletic budget of such schools.

Also something to be proud of that NDSU is 4th lowest amongst all schools listed outside of the P5 with a 31.55% athletic revenue subsidy. Only Wichita St (who doesn't field a football team obviously), Boise St, and Arkansas St are lower.

NDSU needs to demand more subsidizing. we've freaking earned it haven't we??
    and more student fee's, this is 2019, pay up or lose 500 seats... sorry.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    NDSU has the lowest subsidized % of athletic revenue of any school listed fielding an FCS football team yet has the 9th highest athletic budget of such schools.

Also something to be proud of that NDSU is 4th lowest amongst all schools listed outside of the P5 with a 31.55% athletic revenue subsidy. Only Wichita St (who doesn't field a football team obviously), Boise St, and Arkansas St are lower.
    Careful, many have viewed NDSU's fiscal sanity in regard to student fees as an "untapped" resource. I'm with you; we should all be damn proud and resist funding athletics on the back of students.

Quote Originally Posted by MankatoBison View Post

Yeah... I have seen them talking crap about NDSU paying rent to play games at a city owned facility -- and I am thinking these guys don't know anything about business... anyway, the Virginia State Government did pass a law in 2015, limiting how much student fees can go towards an athletic budget -- for a move to FBS they need to have to reduce the student fee portion to 55% of the athletic budget.

While they claim they can make the move easily (everyone says they are the most "fbs ready" program in the FCS) -- I struggle to see how its that easy for them... if your not playing in the P5, there is not a ton of money available. For the move, JMU would have to:

- Add scholarships
    - Increase coach salaries
    - There might be some additional facility upgrades
    - Meanwhile, student fees would have to be less than 55% of the budget.

The stock answer is always media rights contracts, bowl games, and guarantee games will increase revenue. But, unless they get their alumni or some high dollar boosters to kick in -- I don't see them being able to make the move. Heck, NDSU from a fiscal responsibility standpoint is more FBS ready than JMU or any of these other programs.

Here is the article on that Virginia Law: https://pilotonline.com/sports/artic...8de3a5f01.html

If we could raise an extra 30 million in student fees, our budget would be in the ballpark of Mountain West Schools

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com