Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Dom and Jeff going behind the pay wall

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Dom and Jeff going behind the pay wall

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    That is a lot of work for someone to do out of the goodness of their heart. Any idea how many page views it takes to make a dollar online? Any thoughts on how you would secure sponsorships with virtually no viewership?
    Amateur YouTubers seem to do ok.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    That is a lot of work for someone to do out of the goodness of their heart. Any idea how many page views it takes to make a dollar online? Any thoughts on how you would secure sponsorships with virtually no viewership?
    I work in digital marketing and monetization isn't as hard as it seems. There's always growing pains but those are manageable when the only real overhead is your time.

And besides, we all talk (or shitpost) about football for free anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON
    Are you looking for volunteer cohosts?
    Let's do it. Live call in show for an interactive post-game thoughts thread lol.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

I'll call Kyle Emmanuel, he's got time on his hands.

A few thoughts and attempt to provide a balanced view:

I will probably pay for it. I enjoy their work and it's a trivial charge compared to a lot of things. It's not just sports either, I live out of market but like to keep up with what's happening.

I understand people's view about them pitching a bit when they lost a bit of free access and now charging consumers for the content....they opened themselves up to criticism on that one. In my mind their mistake was the pitching a fit part.

Keep in mind this is a whole Forum thing, not just the sports guys...they likely don't have much say on this.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. They will obviously lose hits and views but how will that compare with the paid revenue? Time will tell. Even though I will pay for it, I have a very strong emotional connection to FM and NDSU. When the Strib started charging....I stopped reading. They are definitely taking a risk here.

I don't share the strong reaction some have to this. I generally expect to pay for things I consume.

This is probably wishful thinking, but I would hope that having paying customers would stop some of the sensational / click bait / outrage seeking work that has been the trend. In my opinion, journalism has taken a huge step backward. I prefer to read the facts and then draw my own conclusion instead of be told what to think or have a biased view (of anyone / any side really) thrust upon me. McFeely called me a "Trumpian" recently after I disagreed with him on Twitter (and not in a nasty way)...only problem is I don't really like Trump and I voted for Johnson. Basically, because I didn't agree with him he called me a "Trumpian", LOL. I'm not holding my breath on this one.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    Amateur YouTubers seem to do ok.
    Speaking of YouTube, I've wondered why they didn't go this route and create a channel for their content??? Maybe somebody can explain their previous model vs a YouTube channel cuz I have no clue. Irrelevant now, I guess.
    I'm guessing control of advertising sales but I honestly don't know.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Great post Gully.

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    A few thoughts and attempt to provide a balanced view:

I will probably pay for it. I enjoy their work and it's a trivial charge compared to a lot of things. It's not just sports either, I live out of market but like to keep up with what's happening.

I understand people's view about them pitching a bit when they lost a bit of free access and now charging consumers for the content....they opened themselves up to criticism on that one. In my mind their mistake was the pitching a fit part.

Keep in mind this is a whole Forum thing, not just the sports guys...they likely don't have much say on this.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. They will obviously lose hits and views but how will that compare with the paid revenue? Time will tell. Even though I will pay for it, I have a very strong emotional connection to FM and NDSU. When the Strib started charging....I stopped reading. They are definitely taking a risk here.

I don't share the strong reaction some have to this. I generally expect to pay for things I consume.

This is probably wishful thinking, but I would hope that having paying customers would stop some of the sensational / click bait / outrage seeking work that has been the trend. In my opinion, journalism has taken a huge step backward. I prefer to read the facts and then draw my own conclusion instead of be told what to think or have a biased view (of anyone / any side really) thrust upon me. McFeely called me a "Trumpian" recently after I disagreed with him on Twitter (and not in a nasty way)...only problem is I don't really like Trump and I voted for Johnson. Basically, because I didn't agree with him he called me a "Trumpian", LOL. I'm not holding my breath on this one.

I pay for Netflix, Hulu and Amazon for TV to avoid commercials, like others have stated will it be ad free access? maybe maybe not, last thing I want to pay the Forum for is so I have adds

but also Im not against Subscription based content its just I absolutely will not pay a company for online content when 70% of it is spewed by Rob Port. Dom and Jeff are at least educated trained Journalists. not a blogger im not giving a dime to Fat Blob

i think its very foolish to take all their sports and NDSU related content to pay wall, many older people will lose access. I hope WDAY and Forum drop their advertisement rates because they hound our company about it all the time to buy time...$$$$
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Default Dom and Jeff going behind the pay wall

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Especially since they have to provide content for a broadcast television station too. Dom isn't a newspaper writer, he's a TV sports director. They're going to have to keep some of that free.
    That’s where this makes no sense, IMO. Izzo still does TV sports, which is free over the air. Kolpack still writes articles for the paper, which technically isn’t free, but you can share newspapers and get them at the library. And both of them, I believe, still do a radio show, which is free.

So, are they going to be withholding their best information from those free offerings now? If so, they can get off their high horses about their precious journalistic integrity. And if they’re NOT going to be holding back the best information on the free medium, what’s the point of putting this one thing behind a paywall?

As far as I’m concerned, they lost credibility years ago, and this is just one more nail in the coffin of their Bison coverage. Any void they leave, if any, will be filled by the marketplace. They’ve made their own bed.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think Dom did a good job during the whole media contract issue. The hissy fit that McFeely (expected) and Kolpack (more of a surprise) threw really was off-putting. I didn't deliberately stop consuming FCC content regarding but for one reason or another, I really don't check out their content anymore. Another caveat to this is that I don't have WDAY tv on my main tv in my house, haven't hooked up an antenna to it and it's the only local not included in PS Vue.

In fairness, I have really tapered off on the Bison 1660 content as well. They are a little too "cheerleader-y" for me. I think there have been issues that, I'd assume is because of their revenue arrangement, B1660 hasn't really asked questions that should be asked.

I get pretty much all of my Bison info from Bisonville, even though most of you are obnoxious assholes. At least you assholes show some personality, have different views and some of you even are able to get pretty good information.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    I think Dom did a good job during the whole media contract issue. The hissy fit that McFeely (expected) and Kolpack (more of a surprise) threw really was off-putting. I didn't deliberately stop consuming FCC content regarding but for one reason or another, I really don't check out their content anymore. Another caveat to this is that I don't have WDAY tv on my main tv in my house, haven't hooked up an antenna to it and it's the only local not included in PS Vue.

In fairness, I have really tapered off on the Bison 1660 content as well. They are a little too "cheerleader-y" for me. I think there have been issues that, I'd assume is because of their revenue arrangement, B1660 hasn't really asked questions that should be asked.

I get pretty much all of my Bison info from Bisonville, even though most of you are obnoxious assholes. At least you assholes show some personality, have different views and some of you even are able to get pretty good information.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Same. They wont rip on anyone unless its former players about SDSU.
    Those moments get fun, but they are too few and far between. I like the guys on the station, but it comes off as unauthentic when they think that all 120+ FCS teams are gonna make the playoffs etc.
    1. The FCS was the Best option for NDSU for a very long time.
    2. As a general rule- the FCS sucks at football and has proven that is not committed to football at all.
    3. It's time to go FBS