Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Local Talent

Default Re: Local Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Twincitybizon View Post
    Eh stretching the area a but far. I would not extend that to Bismark. Plus as mentioned different when considering OL/DL FB TE and skill guys.
    Very true on the big guys. But really, why is it odd to get this much talent out of the Fargo-Moorhead metro and surrounding area but not include to Bismarck which is much smaller?

100 mile radius of Fargo = 674K
    100 mile radius of Bismarck = 247k

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Very true on the big guys. But really, why is it odd to get this much talent out of the Fargo-Moorhead metro and surrounding area but not include to Bismarck which is much smaller?

100 mile radius of Fargo = 674K
    100 mile radius of Bismarck = 247k
    I guess when framed by population it's not that odd. Great point

I don't follow recruiting real close so I don't know how FM athletes compare to other parts of the region or country. But I have watched Davies and Sheyenne in multiple sports the last couple years and there are a ton of good athletes at both schools, male and female. (Other schools have good athletes too, but I'm a Sheyenne parent and some of their top battles in several sports are with Davies).
    The white jerseys are the best. Don't even bother to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Bridge Guy View Post
    I don't follow recruiting real close so I don't know how FM athletes compare to other parts of the region or country. But I have watched Davies and Sheyenne in multiple sports the last couple years and there are a ton of good athletes at both schools, male and female. (Other schools have good athletes too, but I'm a Sheyenne parent and some of their top battles in several sports are with Davies).
    Great point. New schools give more kids opportunities to play and develop their football skills. Also with the crazy population boom weve seen, coupled with some great public ans private training facilities, football talent is improving. You figure just by adding Davies, that's a whole football team plus JV.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Don't get me wrong when I ask this question as I'm a huge Bison fan, have been for many moons, but if there is as much talent in the state as some are saying.....why does Mt kick the shit out of ND in the Badlands Bowl almost every year? Do the Bison just do a better job of developing the talent that's in the area? If you look at the Cat and Griz rosters you'll see that percentage wise they both have many more in state kids than the Bison. I absolutely hate the Griz….probably because of Missoula.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    Don't get me wrong when I ask this question as I'm a huge Bison fan, have been for many moons, but if there is as much talent in the state as some are saying.....why does Mt kick the shit out of ND in the Badlands Bowl almost every year? Do the Bison just do a better job of developing the talent that's in the area? If you look at the Cat and Griz rosters you'll see that percentage wise they both have many more in state kids than the Bison. I absolutely hate the Griz….probably because of Missoula.
    Numbers game. Montana has more schools and more in state talent. The years weve beaten them, the team was loaded with Bison and Focker players. The years weve lost, its only been a handful. Also out top players seem to pass on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    Montana has like close to twice the population of ND overall. I once saw the number of football participants in each state and MT was quite a bit larger in that category, its a significant advantage.

Participation in the all-star games is popular in Montana as well. I think some of the graduated senior do like 2 or 3 in the spring and summer including the badlands bowl. NDSU advises their recruits to choose one. Many of the "top" players aren't in the Badlands bowl for what its worth.

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Numbers game. Montana has more schools and more in state talent. The years weve beaten them, the team was loaded with Bison and Focker players. The years weve lost, its only been a handful. Also out top players seem to pass on the game.
    You've got a couple of good points but I will say that Mt doesn't send any of their 6 or 8 man players to that game so I think that somewhat evens the numbers question up. Also, you are correct in saying that many of the Bison or UN_ recruits pass the game up but from living out here I can tell you that just as many of the Cat and Griz recruits pass as well. I think Mt still has numbers on their side but I wouldn't think it would be enough to turn it into the embarrassment that it becomes some years.

Didn't mean to turn that into a Badlands Bowl debate. Guess my point is that I hope the coaching staff is right in their judgement of talent....I'm sure they are and I'm in no position to question them!! Just throwing out my 2 cents.
    Last edited by mtoutfitter; 06-26-2019 at 09:30 PM.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

there are 6 local commits by my count, which isn't anything wild. In the past, I recall local commits leading the way, and we may be done locally for all we know.

I was under the impression that the local pool was good this year, and NDSU got all but one already.
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    there are 6 local commits by my count, which isn't anything wild. In the past, I recall local commits leading the way, and we may be done locally for all we know.

I was under the impression that the local pool was good this year, and NDSU got all but one already.
    The kid from Barnesville would have been a good one.