Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Game 4: UND Preview

Default 2021 Game 4: UND Preview

OK, I usually sandbag, but the argument that "NDSU has never won in the Alerus" when the last game was two decades ago doesn't hold that much water with me.

I'm not sure that all the home cooking in the world can help UND (like it did against SDSU last year) when NDSU won the game last season with their worst team in 10 years - and NDSU lost the turnover battle too! NDSU did not just beat them... they stomped UND into a thin paste. UND did not match up physically against an NDSU team that had one healthy RB.

I think that NDSU has improved this year; I'm not sure that UND has improved at all. True, they won't have to deal with the FargoDome crowd so they've got that going for them. And, of course, the game is about matchups. If UND can stop the run and pressure QP, then that might derail the Bison offense completely and then, with some timely penalties and turnover help, UND might be able to pull off a big upset - especially if they are allowed to jump on Christian Watson's back and ride him down the field like they usually do. QP hasn't seemed very aware of pressure coming so that's a big factor too.

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2021 Game 4: UND Preview

The Townson game will be a better game than this one. How many times can we run A gap power in a row??

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    The Townson game will be a better game than this one. How many times can we run A gap power in a row??
    18 then they beg for us to do something else.

The gameplan will be the same as the spring when we ran it down their throats for 320 yards and 5.9 yards per carry. And that was basically with one healthy back in Luepke who ran for 190 of those. Here are the yards per carry average for our backs this year. Gonnella: 8.2, Williams: 9.1, Bussey: 9.0, Luepke: 11.5, and even Patterson averages 5.2. Run power over and over until they cheat up, then hit our tight ends and bomb it to Watson. If we limit mistakes, I dont see any reason why this game isn’t similar to the game in the spring.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    The gameplan will be the same as the spring when we ran it down their throats for 320 yards and 5.9 yards per carry. And that was basically with one healthy back in Luepke who ran for 190 of those. Here are the yards per carry average for our backs this year. Gonnella: 8.2, Williams: 9.1, Bussey: 9.0, Luepke: 11.5, and even Patterson averages 5.2. Run power over and over until they cheat up, then hit our tight ends and bomb it to Watson. If we limit mistakes, I dont see any reason why this game isn’t similar to the game in the spring.
    Yeah, UND's big hope is to guess right on run blitzes and get NDSU behind schedule.

This not the usual kind of a stat so bear with me:

If you were born before 1949 (so you are 72+) or you were born between 1990 and 1998 (but not 1997) then in your lifetime, UND probably has had a winning record against NDSU (depends on the time of the year your were born.) And that 1990-1998 deal only exists because UND missed 8-10 of NDSU's greatest teams.

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I actually hope we get more creative than folks here want. We need work on QPs timing, hitting rbs out of the backfield against lbs.
    In coverage. Hitting our TEs over the middle in little hitches/option routes. Run the ball yes. But I want Roehl to work on calling the best game with rhythm

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Run up the score on these fuckers. We've gotta improve our Sagarin ranking.

tolnabison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

In the spring season our QBs gained 15 total yards on the ground. In 2019 with Trey he ran for 95 yards. Having QP as a threat in the designed QB run game just adds one more element they have to prepare for in our running game.

I finally read through their thread at the HYB. They have a very outsized opinion of their fanbase.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tolnabison View Post
    In the spring season our QBs gained 15 total yards on the ground. In 2019 with Trey he ran for 95 yards. Having QP as a threat in the designed QB run game just adds one more element they have to prepare for in our running game.
    Save that shit for UNI/NDSU. Why risk some fluky injury happening in a game that we can run it right at them with running backs and still win by 21+. If we want to show off QP, throw a deep ball or two to Watson. They can’t cover him either.