Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Can HCCK do at KSU what he did at NDSU?

Default Re: Can HCCK do at KSU what he did at NDSU?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    I hope we remember that NDSU has had the good fortune to have its last three quarterbacks be professional QB material.
    Give the (underrated) Coach Hedberg credit for developing these young men, but holy cow ... how many other colleges in the US have had their last three QBs make it into the professional ranks. How likely is it that NDSU will have that in its next QB? Nothing against the current crop, but this is such a high standard that even if the current QBs are very very good, it is unlikely they will be on a par with Brock, Carson, and Easton.

We won't know how good NDSU is until the season gets underway. We won't know how good Entz is until he reaches about his 3rd year as a coach - when the residual from the Klieman era no longer has much effect. But one thing, I think, is probably true - the play of the QB this year and who is in that position will be the single biggest contributor to how well NDSU does this year. Not the sole contributor, but the biggest contributor.
    The good news is that, while it's always nice to have a professional caliber QB, it's not a necessity for the NDSU offense. If they have an accurate QB that makes good decisions and can get them out of bad plays and into better plays at the LOS that's good enough I'd say. Being a run threat/mobile themselves is a plus as well. Hopefully either Lance or Noland can check those boxes (minus the run threat part for Noland).

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    The good news is that, while it's always nice to have a professional caliber QB, it's not a necessity for the NDSU offense. If they have an accurate QB that makes good decisions and can get them out of bad plays and into better plays at the LOS that's good enough I'd say. Being a run threat/mobile themselves is a plus as well. Hopefully either Lance or Noland can check those boxes (minus the run threat part for Noland).
    I wish we could have seen more of Lance last year. Two games and one pass didn't give us much of a chance to see what he can do. I did think he was impressive in the run game. The one play that sticks in my mind is when the snap was fumbled and instead of jumping on the ball he showed a lot of poise when he picked it up and ran for a TD.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

I just hope we have a guy who can be as durable as Easton Stick. He was/is one tough cookie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Don't believe everything you think.

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I’ve been told that Trey has a little stronger arm than Easton. I hope he’s accurate and smart with the football. Obviously he is very good running the ball. Fall camp will be fun and can’t wait for the Target Field game to watch him live.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    I just hope we have a guy who can be as durable as Easton Stick. He was/is one tough cookie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    0 games missed in 4 years, and he ran the ball a ton.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    0 games missed in 4 years, and he ran the ball a ton.
    there were maybe a couple he should've, we had a solid backup
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    except how do you know it's not a necessity? We've had a pro caliber QB this entire championship run. I would assume opposing teams have had to worry a lot about Jensen,Wentz,Stick, opening up a lot of other options.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderingherd View Post
    except how do you know it's not a necessity? We've had a pro caliber QB this entire championship run. I would assume opposing teams have had to worry a lot about Jensen,Wentz,Stick, opening up a lot of other options.
    They did not have a pro caliber QB in 2011, 2012, the latter half of 2015 (excluding the title game), and 2016 and they did pretty well. You don't have to be a football genius to know that NDSU's power run game sets up everything else in the offense. Even last year teams were game planning primarily to contain the run game and "make Stick beat them" and he did.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderingherd View Post
    Im sorry. Brock Jensen had big kahunas and I absolutely loved watching him play but his defense carried him. Cripes he was the only guy that could score a td on the bison defense a couple years. Brock was not an NFL caliber qb.

Lardsin must go!

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by scottietohottie View Post
    Im sorry. Brock Jensen had big kahunas and I absolutely loved watching him play but his defense carried him. Cripes he was the only guy that could score a td on the bison defense a couple years. Brock was not an NFL caliber qb.
    Well he had an NFL camp invite and played professionally in the CFL, so I'd say his point is valid and arguing is just semantics.

There are few college teams that have had 3 QBs in a row that good at any level. For an FCS school that relies primarily on running and defense and which developed those players into what they became, well that's pretty incredible.