Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Recruiting Updates

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2020 Recruiting Updates

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    My North Dakota math tells me there will be 10 returning scholly players next season, plus 3 signed recruits. So unless there is a 5/4 offer here, or with one of the other signees, this may just be due diligence recruiting in case a scholarship unexpectedly becomes available.

Karter Thomas sounds like an under the radar type recruit, coming back from an ACL tear.
    Perhaps a PG who could be redshirted? Especially with a JC point guard signed. Plus combo guard Jarius Cook will be back from his redshirt as a sophomore.
    Potentially sign him on a 5 for 4? PG is definitely a position of need going forward so if we can find a good one that slips through the cracks we should make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    Watched Skunberg hang 35 on Century tonight. First time I've seen him play in person and he was a man amongst boys. Century had no one that belonged on the court with him outside of Cade Feeney. Century had no one else with the athleticism needed to keep up with Skunberg and Feeney was just too short to guard him.
    Watched Jamestown @ Legacy last night. If Jamestown is #1 in the state then it's a down year. Skunberg is a good rebounder and outside shooter. His help defense was non- existent or was coached to not leave his man which I doubt. Decent passer. He did not take the ball to the rim very often. Did not wow with athleticsm imho. I did not see much on court leadership/communication with team mates.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    Potentially sign him on a 5 for 4? PG is definitely a position of need going forward so if we can find a good one that slips through the cracks we should make it work.
    i apologize for having to ask this, but can someone explain why it’s called a 5 for 4? of course i understand the gist of it, but i’ve personally never heard of this phrase before. was wondering about backstory of this for a bit now

cuz you redshirt and walk on (pay your own way for 1 year) in HOPES of earning a 4 year scholarship for the next 4 years.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    cuz you redshirt and walk on (pay your own way for 1 year) in HOPES of earning a 4 year scholarship for the next 4 years.
    thank you. i never knew what the 5 was supposed to mean, but i understood the walk-on aspect of it. xoxo chapo

Quote Originally Posted by Loud and Proud Bison fan View Post
    Per Izzo Tweet, "Davies senior to be is heading to #NDSU. 6’2 senior to be." Gayson Haman.
    His offical tweet... https://twitter.com/GrayHaman03/stat...68736699621376

He is a post... another comment has him at 6'3
    Grayson Haman, 6-3 senior guard, aver-ages 12 points, 4.8 rebounds and four assists Walk on though right?
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Grayson Haman, 6-3 senior guard, aver-ages 12 points, 4.8 rebounds and four assists Walk on though right?
    Has to be cause of ND

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

That's not my understanding of a true 5 for 4 offer. What Chapo describes is walking on and hoping for the best, for a scholarship down the road . . . something any walk-on would hope for.

A 5 for 4 is a guarantee of a scholarship in years 2-5 after paying your way in year 1. In year 1, nothing was available, so they offer you a 5 for 4, but consider you a scholarship player as soon as something is available in year 2.

And Technically, a 5 for 4 could be a scholarship in year 1 with one other year where you are not on scholarship. . . year 1 scholarship, year 2 no-scholarship (all 13 committed elsewhere that year), year 3 yes, year 4 yes, year 5 yes . . . thus a 5 for 4.
    Last edited by Herd; 03-03-2020 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herd View Post
    That's not my understanding of a true 5 for 4 offer. What Chapo describes is walking on and hoping for the best, for a scholarship down the road . . . something any walk-on would hope for.

A 5 for 4 is a guarantee of a scholarship in years 2-5 after paying your way in year 1. In year 1, nothing was available, so they offer you a 5 for 4, but consider you a scholarship player as soon as something is available in year 2.

And Technically, a 5 for 4 could be a scholarship in year 1 with one other year where you are not on scholarship. . . year 1 scholarship, year 2 no-scholarship (all 13 committed elsewhere that year), year 3 yes, year 4 yes, year 5 yes . . . thus a 5 for 4.
    You are correct, lakes is not.

ThunderDan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Great, just what we need to move this program forward...another guy who should be playing at Concordia or MSUM.