Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Preseason Polls

Default 2019 Preseason Polls

The "legit" (as legit as we can get in the FCS) preseason polls are starting to come out. In any case they're good for little more than message board fodder. I'm guessing the Hero poll may ruffle a few feathers here.....

Athlon

https://athlonsports.com/college-foo...cs-top-25-2019

1. NDSU
    2. JMU
    3. SDSU
    4. EWU
    5. UC Davis
    6. Maine
    7. Jacksonville St
    8. Montana St
    9. Weber St
    10. Wofford
    11. Towson
    12. Illinois St
    13. Nicholls
    14. Kennesaw St
    15. Indiana St
    16. Furman
    17. UNI
    18. Colgate
    19. SE Missouri St
    20. Sam Houston St
    21. Elon
    22. McNeese
    23. Montana
    24. Delaware
    25. NC A&T

Hero Sports

https://www.herosports.com/fcs/footb...op-25-fcs-ajaj

1. JMU
    2. NDSU
    3. UC Davis
    4. Maine
    5. SDSU
    6. Jacksonville St
    7. EWU
    8. Wofford
    9. Illinois St
    10. Towson
    11. Weber St
    12. Elon
    13. Nicholls
    14. Montana St
    15. Furman
    16. Central Arkansas
    17. Yale
    18. Indiana St
    19. Chattanooga
    20. Sam Houston St
    21. Alcorn St
    22. Kennesaw St
    23. Princeton
    24. Eastern Kentucky
    25. The Citadel
    Last edited by Professor Chaos; 06-04-2019 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Missed Towson

Default Re: 2019 Preseason Polls

2 Wofford ‘s

Quote Originally Posted by bajadanny View Post
    2 Wofford ‘s
    Argh! Should be Towson at #10 not Wofford. Was trying to split screen it to type it out.

Finally redemption for JMU fans after the championship they shouldve won but their players couldn't catch balls.

Montana and UNI are both unranked by Hero. Ouch!!!

It's understandable that a few will likely pick JMU #1. Less turnover on the roster and far less upheaval in coaching. If we still had Messingham I would say we are a lock for the semis and the favorite for winning it all. I have no issues with Entz at HC but Braun and Roehl will have to earn the respect taking over for phenomenally successful units last year on both sides of the ball. Moreso Roehl since Entz will have a strong guiding hand for Braun and the defense.

I still think we won the damn thing last year and a lot of returning non-starters are pretty damn seasoned and talented. We should be #1. That 19 of 22 returning starters got bounced by Colgate early in the playoffs. Not like they lost to us in a nailbiter in the natty.

Anyway, they are going to be a big contender but I think we edge them out for #1 in the preseason rankings.
    Rixen

Quote Originally Posted by Rixen View Post
    It's understandable that a few will likely pick JMU #1. Less turnover on the roster and far less upheaval in coaching. If we still had Messingham I would say we are a lock for the semis and the favorite for winning it all. I have no issues with Entz at HC but Braun and Roehl will have to earn the respect taking over for phenomenally successful units last year on both sides of the ball. Moreso Roehl since Entz will have a strong guiding hand for Braun and the defense.

I still think we won the damn thing last year and a lot of returning non-starters are pretty damn seasoned and talented. We should be #1. That 19 of 22 returning starters got bounced by Colgate early in the playoffs. Not like they lost to us in a nailbiter in the natty.

Anyway, they are going to be a big contender but I think we edge them out for #1 in the preseason rankings.
    Yeah, weighing starters retrained/lost is kind of a lazy argument but it's tough for any publication that covers the FCS to have the time or information to pull much more on returning players than just number of starters returning/lost. Those of us who follow the team closely know that just because the Bison lost all 4 starters on the D-line doesn't mean that D-line isn't going to be rock solid due to the depth they have built there. Same with the offensive line that lost 3 of 5 starters. I'm less worried about the starters this season than I am about building the depth behind them. NDSU has always differentiated themselves by their depth and they'll need that again this year since injuries are inevitable.

I think NDSU will start the season comfortably at #1 in the STATS and Coach's polls but I'd kind of deviously like to see JMU ranked above them. Back in 2014 Eastern Washington was ranked above NDSU to start the season and I think it kind of stuck in the craw a bit of the players and coach's that they were knocked down a peg despite being the 3 time defending champs.

natstar1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Is SDSU the 2nd best program in FCS?

Quote Originally Posted by natstar1 View Post
    Is SDSU the 2nd best program in FCS?
    Recently? Probably. They have had more sustained success than JMU and really only don't have the natty.

I would say that 2nd tier behind NDSU really only includes them and JMU. The rest are a bunch of paper tigers.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Twincitybizon is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison 4 Life View Post
    Recently? Probably. They have had more sustained success than JMU and really only don't have the natty.

I would say that 2nd tier behind NDSU really only includes them and JMU. The rest are a bunch of paper tigers.
    To be fair, ndsu kinda moved the bar on what is considered paper tigers. Without us many other teams would be in the conversation yearly for a championship. Shsu was pretty darn good, until we stole their lunch every year