Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drake Relays (April 2019)

Default Re: Drake Relays (April 2019)

Anyone know why they schedule this meet so early? Fairly prestigious meet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Payton Otterdahl finishes 2nd in the "Big Boy" shot put event to Ryan Crouser.

Otterdah's best throw came on his 5th throw registering a mark of 68' 1"

No thrower, including Crouser, (69' 3 1/4") were able to hit the 70 foot mark in the cool, rainy, and windy conditions in Des Moines.

Payton was the only college athlete selected to participate in this Invitational Shot Put competition.

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Anyone know why they schedule this meet so early? Fairly prestigious meet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    It was on April 27th last year and in 2017, April 28th.

In Des Moines, I think that it is late enough in the Spring to expect decent weather......just shitty luck, I guess.

CyPanth is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    It was on April 27th last year and in 2017, April 28th.

In Des Moines, I think that it is late enough in the Spring to expect decent weather......just shitty luck, I guess.

37 degrees and drizzly in Ames right now. Brrrr. Horrible for track and field. And it was warm and dry just a few days ago. Seems like they have had some really bad luck on weather in recent years for the Drake Relays. Cue the Iowa Sucks comments.
    "You should host seminars on how to behave on opposing fan forums. Charge a pretty penny toward that Bison tailgating rig. " from Milkman 1/6/2016

Quote Originally Posted by CyPanth View Post
    37 degrees and drizzly in Ames right now. Brrrr. Horrible for track and field. And it was warm and dry just a few days ago. Seems like they have had some really bad luck on weather in recent years for the Drake Relays. Cue the Iowa Sucks comments.
    Late spring weather, or the occasional winter redux - there was snow in southern MN and into Wisconsin yesterday - hurts mainly the athletes who are on the cusp of qualifying. Too cold, rain with cool temps, or too much wind, can be the difference between them qualifying for the NCAAs or not.

Sioux Falls next weekend - forecast is 65-70 with sun. Not ideal conditions - 75-85 would be better - but quite good, especially if little to no wind.
    Next opportunity would be the Summit Meet - in Illinois in mid-May. Hopefully good weather.

Too bad the season is over for a lot of athletes by mid-May, before the weather gets ideal. The March CA, TX, etc meets are good, but training wise the athletes aren't yet training to reach their peak. I wish NDSU would send some of their non-NCAA-qualifying athletes to the Jim Bush Invitational (early June) or another meet so they get one 'good weather' event in around the time they are peaking. NDSU used to do this and it helped some athletes - see NDSU men's 3000m Steeplechase, 800m, 1500m, for example; all three school records set at Jim Bush or the Am. Miler's Club meet (Indiana?) in early June.