Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Freestyle Season

Default Freestyle Season

Does anyone know if we will have some guys in any upcoming freestyle events? I've been watching the registrations for the U.S. Open, but I haven't seen anything yet. I suppose most of our junior-level guys from last year would be senior-level this year, so I could understand if we skipped it this year.

Default Re: Freestyle Season

Quote Originally Posted by RadioBison View Post
    Does anyone know if we will have some guys in any upcoming freestyle events? I've been watching the registrations for the U.S. Open, but I haven't seen anything yet. I suppose most of our junior-level guys from last year would be senior-level this year, so I could understand if we skipped it this year.
    I believe they will be at the U.S. Open and the WTT Challenge Tournament in Raleigh, NC.
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    I believe they will be at the U.S. Open and the WTT Challenge Tournament in Raleigh, NC.
    We will have 9 guys competing in Vegas at the UWW Junior tournament and 1 guy in the Senior US Open. We also have 3 guys who are already Qualified for the World Team Trials in Raleigh so we will once again be well represented this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGarnett View Post
    We will have 9 guys competing in Vegas at the UWW Junior tournament and 1 guy in the Senior US Open. We also have 3 guys who are already Qualified for the World Team Trials in Raleigh so we will once again be well represented this summer.
    Great, that's what I like to hear.

Also, former NDSU wrestler Josh Rodriguez will represent the US at 57kg in the Pan Am Championships on April 21st. If he medals, he gets an automatic qualifier spot for the world team trials. US gets one entry per weight and in addition to Rodriguez, will be sending 4 world champions, 2 world bronze medalists, and 3 other recent college grads who had good careers.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Also, former NDSU wrestler Josh Rodriguez will represent the US at 57kg in the Pan Am Championships on April 21st. If he medals, he gets an automatic qualifier spot for the world team trials. US gets one entry per weight and in addition to Rodriguez, will be sending 4 world champions, 2 world bronze medalists, and 3 other recent college grads who had good careers.
    We are suppose to be sending as many #1s to the Pan American Championships as possible. This was the reason why I was told we sent none to the World Cup in Russia last month.

In regards to Josh, he's looked pretty solid in Freestyle since joining the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club and hopefully he can add to his Pan American success (he won both FS and GR in the Junior division in 2014).
    Hail the BISON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CoachGarnett View Post
    Midkiff, Franek, Droegemueller, Noel, Brenner, Stuhl, Van Maanen, Cressel, Metz, & Pottinger are registered per a Bison Wrestling Club tweet.

Metz is entered into both Greco and Freestyle in the senior division. Greco field is awfully light right now. too

Most interesting note is that Midkiff is entered into UWW Juniors at 57kg...which is 125 pounds.
    Franek and Van Maanen are both entered at 70kg in UWW Juniors too. That seems to suggest Franek won't be at 165 next year

Huge win for Josh Rodriguez in the opening round of the Pan Am Championships. He knocked off Reineri Andreu Ortega of Cuba, who is the 2017 Under 23 World Champion and beat Josh handily at last years Beat The Streets competition.

Ortega is the reigning Pan Am Champion too. He knocked off multiple time US World team member and World silver medalist, Thomas Gilman last year at Pan Ams.

57kg is wide open for the US and while pretty much nobody would pick Josh to make the national team (top three at his weight), he has the international results on par with most top US guys.

Hopefully Josh keeps it rolling, wins 3 more today, and wins his first continental championship.
    Last edited by Big Bird; 04-21-2019 at 08:19 PM.

Christopher,

IMO, Josh's win isn't even the biggest US surprise so far.

Former UNI Panther Joe Colon knocked off reigning World champion (and one of the most exciting wrestlers in the world), Yowlys Bonne Rodriguez in their opener.

Chandler Rodgers won Pan Am gold in his international debut. Not bad for a guy who wrapped up his college career last month and ended the season as a backup for Oklahoma State.

Rodriguez dominates his opponent from Ecuador and gets the first period tech. He advances to the semis and will wrestle for a gold or bronze medal later today. He has looked outstanding today. If he can bottle this performance up, he could be the US representative in Tokyo in 2020.