View Poll Results: Who wins the pro/family member PNC this weekend?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Team Woods

0 0%
  • Team Daly

2 33.33%
  • Team Thomas

0 0%
  • Another team/none of the above

4 66.67%
Page 29 of 64 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters Golf and Any Other Miscellaneous Golf Discussion

Default Re: Masters Golf and Any Other Miscellaneous Golf Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    It is pretty darn weird watching these guys ground their clubs in the sand at Kiawah today. Just strange. I wonder how many calls have already been made to report rules infractions.
    I’m officially not a fan of Pete Dye... though I do like Sawgrass.

All par 3s are over 200 yards except 1, and it’s 198. Fucking stupid.
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

gavin2126 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It is pretty darn weird watching these guys ground their clubs in the sand at Kiawah today. Just strange. I wonder how many calls have already been made to report rules infractions.
    I haven’t been able to watch and haven’t heard anything about this elsewhere, but how the hell does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by gavin2126 View Post
    I haven’t been able to watch and haven’t heard anything about this elsewhere, but how the hell does that work?
    The whole place is built on sand - its right on the ocean. So lots of ground is "waste area" - even some that look like regular bunkers. I think I heard during coverage this morning that they can ground their club "lightly" most anywhere. The thing I saw that made me make that post was JT actually taking some practice swings contacting the sand before striking his ball. Weird.

In retrospect I believe I have played a course like that somewhere, I forget where. But I do recall having these large areas of sand and wispy grass that were not hazards.

The whole place is built on sand - its right on the ocean. So lots of ground is "waste area" - even some that look like regular bunkers. I think I heard during coverage this morning that they can ground their club "lightly" most anywhere. The thing I saw that made me make that post was JT actually taking some practice swings contacting the sand before striking his ball. Weird.

In retrospect I believe I have played a course like that somewhere, I forget where. But I do recall having these large areas of sand and wispy grass that were not hazards.
    Also known as “the Dustin Johnson rule.”

So basically it's the exact opposite of the Whistling Straits rule. Where absolutely everything at WS was considered a bunker, absolutely nothing here is.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin2126 View Post
    So basically it's the exact opposite of the Whistling Straits rule. Where absolutely everything at WS was considered a bunker, absolutely nothing here is.
    No, it’s the same everywhere now (hence my allusion to DJ earlier)... after DJ lost the PGA that year, they changed the rule for all courses that have that kind of “waste bunker” landscaping so you can ground your club now...

Just another reason to hate Pete Dye, imo... if you’re designing golf courses that require “special rules” because of your design, you’re doing it wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    No, it’s the same everywhere now (hence my allusion to DJ earlier)... after DJ lost the PGA that year, they changed the rule for all courses that have that kind of “waste bunker” landscaping so you can ground your club now...

Just another reason to hate Pete Dye, imo... if you’re designing golf courses that require “special rules” because of your design, you’re doing it wrong...
    Ah, I was thinking that the rules were differing based by course. Thanks.

I’m not sure his courses require special rules. I’m am sure that we have them anyway.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    I’m not sure his courses require special rules. I’m am sure that we have them anyway.
    His courses literally created a rule. So you are incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by heffray View Post
    His courses literally created a rule. So you are incorrect.
    people feeling it was somehow unfair that DJ didn’t know the rules created the rule.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie