View Poll Results: Who wins the pro/family member PNC this weekend?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Team Woods

0 0%
  • Team Daly

2 40.00%
  • Team Thomas

0 0%
  • Another team/none of the above

3 60.00%
Page 12 of 64 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters Golf and Any Other Miscellaneous Golf Discussion

dufferole is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Masters Golf and Any Other Miscellaneous Golf Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Well, they’ve played in three additions of the International Crown and won once. The other winners, USA and Spain, so there’s that. But, yes, few would dispute that South Korea is the top women’s golfing nation.
    The I Crown has 4 golfers per team vs Solhiem 12 players per team. 12 top S Korean players would be hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by dufferole View Post
    The I Crown has 4 golfers per team vs Solhiem 12 players per team. 12 top S Korean players would be hard to beat.
    Well said dufferole. On a quick glance, 8 of the top 20 in the world and 20 of the top 50 call South Korea home, not counting the Korean expats to the USA and Australia and others. Pretty cut and dried. Even with just four players competing in a format that allows lesser players a better shot, they have finished 1-2-3 in their efforts at the International. Nobody else has had a combined record close to that.

https://www.rolexrankings.com/rankings
    Last edited by MangyOldBison; 09-16-2019 at 08:33 PM.

The ABCs of NDSU SPORTSMANSHIP:

GoAmy…GoBison…GoCarson!!!

Bison proving that great play and great sportsmanship and character go hand in hand.

dufferole is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I am disappointed in the final outcome, but it was a closely fought 3 days. Good televised theater. I just wish the American golfers were better putters in all tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by dufferole View Post
    I am disappointed in the final outcome, but it was a closely fought 3 days. Good televised theater. I just wish the American golfers were better putters in all tournaments.
    I hate to say it dufferole, but without Amy playing I barely even watched the highlights. And I actually was pretty pleased to see recent first time mother Suzanne Pettersen drain the winning putt (on a video replay of course).
    Last edited by MangyOldBison; 09-16-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Bison proving that great play and great sportsmanship and character go hand in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by MangyOldBison View Post
    Well said dufferole. On a quick glance, 8 of the top 20 in the world and 20 of the top 50 call South Korea home, not counting the Korean expats to the USA and Australia and others. Pretty cut and dried. Even with just four players competing in a format that allows lesser players a better shot, they have finished 1-2-3 in their efforts at the International. Nobody else has had a combined record close to that.

https://www.rolexrankings.com/rankings
    I think we're all basically in agreement, South Korea #1. Not sure what expats have to do with anything, but other than that...
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

I think we're all basically in agreement, South Korea #1. Not sure what expats have to do with anything, but other than that...
    I don’t think most of us had any question about that. You might say that the fact that along with the obvious huge domination by those still under the banner of South Korea, many of the very best US, Australian, and New Zealand golfers (along with other countries) also hail from South Korea and possibly would choose to compete for that country in an international competition if they wanted to and the rules allowed it. Do the names Minjee Lee or Lydia Ko or Danielle Kang ring a bell? And they are just the tip of the expat iceberg. Just a little further emphasis on just how strong and dominant women’s golf is in that country. Come to think of it, I have no doubt that a team composed solely of South Korean expats would donkey stomp anyone other than South Korea.
    Last edited by MangyOldBison; 09-17-2019 at 02:14 AM.

I don’t think most of us had any question about that. You might say that the fact that along with the obvious huge domination by those still under the banner of South Korea, many of the very best US, Australian, and New Zealand golfers (along with other countries) also hail from South Korea and possibly would choose to compete for that country in an international competition if they wanted to and the rules allowed it. Do the names Minjee Lee or Lydia Ko ring a bell? And they are just the tip of the expat iceberg. Just a little further emphasis on just how strong and dominant women’s golf is in that country. Come to think of it, I think that a team composed solely of South Korean expats would donkey stomp anyone other than South Korea.
    I guess my take is. 1) people are generally from where they're from. Lydia Ko is from New Zealand and no one would think twice about that if her parents had moved there from Liverpool.

Also, I think huge domination is an overstatement. That's in a different category even than clear #1.

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

I guess my take is. 1) people are generally from where they're from. Lydia Ko is from New Zealand and no one would think twice about that if her parents had moved there from Liverpool.

Also, I think huge domination is an overstatement. That's in a different category even than clear #1.
    1. Don’t completely disagree with that. The obvious point was that South Korea has put together an amazing development program for girl’s and women’s golf that produces the best in the world at every level. That program, discipline, national pride, mentality, etc. is so excellent that they have produced amazing athletes and champions who compete not only for that country, but all over the world as well. And they are proud of their adopted countries and their home country both. As am I. Is there something wrong with that?

2. Yes it is a different category. The numbers are pretty tough to dispute however, and the proof is in the pudding. And it ain’t English pudding. https://www.rolexrankings.com/rankings
    Last edited by MangyOldBison; 09-17-2019 at 02:55 AM.

1. Don’t disagree with that. The obvious point was that South Korea has put together an amazing development program for girl’s and women’s golf that produces the best in the world at every level. They have produced amazing athletes and champions who compete not only for that country, but all over the world as well. And they are proud of their adopted countries and their home country both. As am I. Is there something wrong with that?

2. Yes it is a different category. The numbers are pretty tough to dispute however, and the proof is in the pudding. And it ain’t English pudding.
    Lydia Ko has lived in New Zealand from age 2 and a ton of the Europeans played collegiate golf in the USso maybe we should be a little careful about who's developing whom.

I wonder how it would go over if the Korda sisters decided to play for Europe on 2 years? Jessica played for Checz Replubic at least once as an amature so she's already switched allegiance once.

Lydia Ko has lived in New Zealand from age 2 and a ton of the Europeans played collegiate golf in the USso maybe we should be a little careful about who's developing whom.

I wonder how it would go over if the Korda sisters decided to play for Europe on 2 years? Jessica played for Checz Replubic at least once as an amature so she's already switched allegiance once.
    I think it would be just fine for the Kordas to compete for the nation they want to compete for. Don’t see a thing wrong with that, and after this showing by the US team, couldn’t blame them for jumping ship. Frankly, never have cared much for team golf at the professional level in any case. And actually the men’s even more so than the women’s “team” competitions. I find it pretty lame and contrived. How much “Olay Olay olay Olay” can you take? JMO.
    Last edited by MangyOldBison; 09-19-2019 at 08:31 PM.