Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: MIAC trying to force out St Thomas

Default Re: MIAC trying to force out St Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Let's use Gabe's numbers for his cousin as an example just on straight revenue. Let's say he bills at $350/hour, which is possible in the F/M market but I think is probably on the higher end for a solo practice around here. In order for him to produce $200K in 3 months (let's use 12 weeks), he would need to bill out 572 hours. That works out to almost 48 billable hours per week.

Now those are just 48 billable hours per week where actual work is being done for a client. There are additional hours involved with running his business that will suck up a lot time that are not billed -- IT issues, cold-calls from vendors, phone calls from prospective clients, paying bills, getting/reading the mail (which is still a thing with attorneys), "freebie" advice given to close friends and family, banking activities, actually billing your time and sending invoices to clients, collecting on delinquent invoices, continuing legal education which is mandatory in every state you are licensed in...I think you get the picture. Now throw in an hour lunch, running a personal errand here or there, taking a vacation day, etc. You are looking at some very long days/week -- a 60-70 hour work week would not be uncommon to average 48 billable hours per week.

It's attainable, but a lot of work. God Bless America.
    I don’t know much about one man small offices but a 60-70 work week for an associate trying to make partner in a Twin Cities law firm would likely have to include a vacation day. Think they are normally trending toward 100 hrs per.

Don’t forget that billing has minimum increments. Fifteen minutes for a phone call even if it takes less than one minute.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    I don’t know much about one man small offices but a 60-70 work week for an associate trying to make partner in a Twin Cities law firm would likely have to include a vacation day. Think they are normally trending toward 100 hrs per.

Don’t forget that billing has minimum increments. Fifteen minutes for a phone call even if it takes less than one minute.
    That is about the same nationwide.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

I just figured this whole thing was meant as a warning shot across the bow. Apparently I was wrong.

http://m.startribune.com/augsburg-pr...iac/509752432/
    The weather in Fargo keeps the undesirables out.....

...Which is why I live near the Twin Cities.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    I just figured this whole thing was meant as a warning shot across the bow. Apparently I was wrong.

Doing this is pure chicken shit.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post

This has more to do with politics than football.

Some of those comments are funny. Don’t kid yourselves folks. The valley would beat the living sh*t out of UST.

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    can someone remove this academia crap and focus on the MIAC

concordia is the swing vote for st thomas. Terry Horan says Keep em, the President & big donor's say boot em.
    And who are these big donors you speak of?

Anyone think they might be doing UST a favor in the VERY long run? There is a famous quote, something like "if you want to take the island, burn the boats, with absolute commitment there is no option but to move forward". The quote is wrong, but you get the idea. UST has alumni support and passion that reminds me of all the Dakota schools. If they end up moving to the NSIC or something similar to this, UST could just build and build and gain momentum as a University. Would be a huge competetive advantage and great way to distinguish UST from the other MN private schools.

UST's ceiling could be anywhere between Abaline Christian and TCU.

Quote Originally Posted by nodak651 View Post
    Anyone think they might be doing UST a favor in the VERY long run? There is a famous quote, something like "if you want to take the island, burn the boats, with absolute commitment there is no option but to move forward". The quote is wrong, but you get the idea. UST has alumni support and passion that reminds me of all the Dakota schools. If they end up moving to the NSIC or something similar to this, UST could just build and build and gain momentum as a University. Would be a huge competetive advantage and great way to distinguish UST from the other MN private schools.

That should be UST's decision and not have it forced upon them. Burning your own boats is different than having someone else doing it for you.
    Paul Fix

moosbah is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm by no means a UST fan, but at this point, they should just put up the middle finger to the MIAC.
    Sioux SUCK! It just has a nice ring to it.

R.I.P. CLC
    5/13/2012

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by nodak651 View Post

Is St. Thomas fan support as high as they are given credit for? The reason I ask and this is a somewhat specific example, but the St. Thomas and St. Johns games at Target Field and Allianz Staduim this fall. A super majority (More than 60%) of tickets were sold to Johnnies fans. The game this fall, St. Johns sold their allotment and i don't know if St. Thomas ever did. In February St. thomas still had seats. Johnnies did not.

While living in the cities I always had the impression the St. Thomas was bigger and better. After touring both schools with a high school senior, St. Johns presented a much larger global picture or where it is, its alumni base and fan bases. I asked the question why is St. Thomas perceived to be the leader. the answer. Marketing. They spend more to attract more.

Now not saying there is anything wrong with this and many people and company's do the same, but is St. Thomas perceived better because they sell it to the outside world better, but not retain the alumni interest in the process?

Thanks