Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: MIAC trying to force out St Thomas

Default Re: MIAC trying to force out St Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    There is a school in New Jersey that used to be known as Glassboro State College. Think a much bigger Minot State (nearly 20k students) in rural New Jersey (there actually is such a thing!). Legend has it in the early 90s they were hosting a fundraising event and a gentleman who attended asked someone what it would take to name the university after him. They gave him a number ($100m) and he wrote a check. The school is now Rowan University name after industrialist Henry Rowan. Not a bad legacy! I don't know if his children attended the university though.
    Aaaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhh! Should have asked for $200M! DREAM BIG!!!!!
    Don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    There is a school in Sioux Falls that used to be known as Augustana College. Think a much bigger Minot State (nearly 20k students) in urban South Dakota (there actually is such a thing!). Legend has it in the 2010s they were hosting a fundraising event and a gentleman who attended asked someone what it would take to name the university after him. They gave him a number ($100m) and he wrote a check. The school is now Sanford University name after T. Denny Sanford. Not a bad legacy! I don't know if his children attended the university though.
    Fixed for future events.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    A good education is invaluable.
    A good education is invaluable but overpaying for one and taking on large student debt is not a good plan to get ahead in life. What's the last time you asked your doctor, dentist, lawyer, cpa, or anyone in any professional field what school they went to. Nobody cares. Besides in 2019, it's so much easier to self educate yourself with the internet.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    A good education is invaluable but overpaying for one and taking on large student debt is not a good plan to get ahead in life. What's the last time you asked your doctor, dentist, lawyer, cpa, or anyone in any professional field what school they went to. Nobody cares. Besides in 2019, it's so much easier to self educate yourself with the internet.
    I care. You think I want some hack diagnosing my ailments who graduated in the bottom third of University of North Dakota Medical School and Dent Repair? Not on your life pal.

Oh, and you wanna be a wolf of Wall Street? You better have an Ivy or Stanford on your CV if you want to get an interview. Better yet would be that Finance MBA from UofC. Price of admission to the game. Forget the cost of the education - the connections are priceless.

Your point probably holds for English and COmmunications majors though. No reason to pay up for those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Don't believe everything you think.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It may not matter to the patient but it will matter to the medical school they want to attend which will then impact the residency experience they get. Generally the better the school the better the starting point and path the person MAY be able to take. It's still upon them to take advantage of it. You can be successful regardless of where you start but you can get access to better resources and opportunities at different schools.

My son is making his college choice today so we are neck deep in these discussions right now!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That can only take you sor far. You must save a ton of money in medical and legal bills.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by GreenfieldBison View Post
    I care. You think I want some hack diagnosing my ailments who graduated in the bottom third of University of North Dakota Medical School and Dent Repair? Not on your life pal.

Oh, and you wanna be a wolf of Wall Street? You better have an Ivy or Stanford on your CV if you want to get an interview. Better yet would be that Finance MBA from UofC. Price of admission to the game. Forget the cost of the education - the connections are priceless.

Your point probably holds for English and COmmunications majors though. No reason to pay up for those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If they can't do the job, they won't make it through medical school or the residency. Actually I've had 2 surgeries in my life and both were done by a UND guy. The only reason I knew that is we started talking football before the 2nd surgery and he joked he was a UND guy. And UND med school apparently sucks.

Connections? The pessimist in me says that is all marketing but I could be wrong. I know many successful people and I have no idea where they went to school. It's about as valuable to me as where they graduated in high school. Show me what you've done.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

I believe the legal community, especially early on, is dictated in a very very very big way by where you went to school.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    I believe the legal community, especially early on, is dictated in a very very very big way by where you went to school.
    You are correct sir.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    Or you could just start your own practice. Start by doing public work. This idea you have to be someones bitch is old thinking