Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Deng Geu Transfer?

Default Re: Deng Geu Transfer?

LMAO at anyone here thinking that Deng Geu would have made a difference last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Because good offensive post players are hard to find at the mid-major level. You don't find Marshall Bjorklunds that don't have a pile of good mid-major and/or P5 offers. However, Richman is now on his 5th recruiting class that has suited up for the Bison and he's missed badly on a lot of big guys so it most definitely an area he has failed in and needs to improve. But I'm not convinced Geu would've made that big of a difference last night... he certainly wouldn't have made up for the 13 point margin. You don't need a post presence anymore in the college game to be a good offensive team. Sure, it's great to have but it's a heck of a lot easier to recruit great shooting and/or great penetrating guards at this level.

Keep in mind the '08/'09 team didn't have a really good back to the basket post player either and they did just fine. Winkelman got his points on threes and off the bounce going to the hoop. Woodside made that team go with his dribble penetration and the shooters like Winkelman, Nelson, and Tviedt made that a really good offensive team. This team has that same makeup except they're even better shooting the three although they don't have a Ben Woodside either (even though I think Shahid is a pretty good alternative).
    But I want to win a P5 game every now and then. I don't even see how that is possible with the current make up of the team. Maybe, if they had a guy to penetrate and kick, but they don't have that. And the bolded statement is only true if you want to do well against mid-majors......again, NDSU will not win another P5 game without better post play.

CalBison97 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Because good offensive post players are hard to find at the mid-major level. You don't find Marshall Bjorklunds that don't have a pile of good mid-major and/or P5 offers. However, Richman is now on his 5th recruiting class that has suited up for the Bison and he's missed badly on a lot of big guys so it most definitely an area he has failed in and needs to improve. But I'm not convinced Geu would've made that big of a difference last night... he certainly wouldn't have made up for the 13 point margin. You don't need a post presence anymore in the college game to be a good offensive team. Sure, it's great to have but it's a heck of a lot easier to recruit great shooting and/or great penetrating guards at this level.

Keep in mind the '08/'09 team didn't have a really good back to the basket post player either and they did just fine. Winkelman got his points on threes and off the bounce going to the hoop. Woodside made that team go with his dribble penetration and the shooters like Winkelman, Nelson, and Tviedt made that a really good offensive team. This team has that same makeup except they're even better shooting the three although they don't have a Ben Woodside either (even though I think Shahid is a pretty good alternative).
    Solid post players are out there and willing to go to mid-majors. Just not NDSU.
    Stand your ground, have a tough hide, roam wild and free, have a strong spirit, let the chips fall where they may.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    So, here we are the day after a P5 blood bath where Dave's disdain for posts basically cost the team any chance they had to win. We needed Deng for a game like that, yet he was never fully developed and now has left the program. So, very frustrating. Someone explain to me why we haven't had a good, solid post for both offense and defense since Marshall? (I respect Rocky for defense, but he is not a post on offense.)
    Postups arent a part of Richmans plan. Been underwhelming since Dexter, who was recruited under Saul. Richmans teams lack toughness, almost any player he coached that was, was recruited under Saul.

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    Postups arent a part of Richmans plan. Been underwhelming since Dexter, who was recruited by Saul. Richmans teams lack toughness, almost any player he coached that was, was recruited by Saul.
    Exactly. He seems inclined to accept doing well in the Summit. I want NDSU to be seen as a top tier mid major, and eventually, have a chance at a sweet 16. I thought Dave maybe learned after how he used Ward in the tourney last year and supported the contract extension. Then, last night, I see the same old chuck 3 pointers and hope for the best bull shit. He needs to do better than that. You will never win a P5 game that way, unless you get crazy lucky.

23Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think even if Dave did have a big strong post player, he wouldn’t utilize him anyway. He’d be out on the 3pt line tossing up J’s.
    Run the damn ball!! PRO FBS

But I want to win a P5 game every now and then. I don't even see how that is possible with the current make up of the team. Maybe, if they had a guy to penetrate and kick, but they don't have that. And the bolded statement is only true if you want to do well against mid-majors......again, NDSU will not win another P5 game without better post play.
    It's not impossible to get a P5 win with the current team. They could've got one last night but had a poor night shooting the ball from everywhere.

Exactly. He seems inclined to accept doing well in the Summit. I want NDSU to be seen as a top tier mid major, and eventually, have a chance at a sweet 16. I thought Dave maybe learned after how he used Ward in the tourney last year and supported the contract extension. Then, last night, I see the same old chuck 3 pointers and hope for the best bull shit. He needs to do better than that. You will never win a P5 game that way, unless you get crazy lucky.
    Completely disagree with the bolded statement. There are P5s that rely just as heavily on the 3 as NDSU does. Like I said in another thread last night Villanova won a title in 2017/2018 on the back of the 3 ball and were never challenged during the tournament doing it.

So, here we are the day after a P5 blood bath where Dave's disdain for posts basically cost the team any chance they had to win. We needed Deng for a game like that, yet he was never fully developed and now has left the program. So, very frustrating. Someone explain to me why we haven't had a good, solid post for both offense and defense since Marshall? (I respect Rocky for defense, but he is not a post on offense.)
    Calling that a blood bath isn't accurate. Wasn't pretty but certainly not a blood bath.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

It's not impossible to get a P5 win with the current team. They could've got one last night but had a poor night shooting the ball from everywhere.

Completely disagree with the bolded statement. There are P5s that rely just as heavily on the 3 as NDSU does. Like I said in another thread last night Villanova won a title in 2017/2018 on the back of the 3 ball and were never challenged during the tournament doing it.
    Tarkanian made a career out of loading up on an 8 man rotation who would shoot 3s and full court press. I would love that style of play. Full court press for 40 minutes and shoot open threes all night long. 1/3 from outside the three point line is about the same as 50% inside the line.

The shark was one of my favorite coaches of all time. That style of play requires a lot of discipline which is kind of ironic since he was always being investigated for recruiting violations.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?