Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bonding bill e mail

Default Re: Bonding bill e mail

Churchill Hall was completely rebuilt inside a couple of years ago. The other "low-rise" dorms have been getting new roofs, new elevators, and complete remodeling of the bathroom facilities. These dorms are Reed, Johnson, the Weibles, Stockbridge, Dinan and Burgum.

All of these projects are funded by the residence housing income.

533 In a row

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Where is this guy coming from with the no bonding notion? What is the rationale?
    Wear's the fact that the state has no debt like a badge of honor, nothing more than keeping the state "debt" free. Needless to say, very conservative. I'm not sure if he lines up entirely with the Tea Party faction in the state legislature, but he has strong support amongst that group. I don't understand that logic. The legacy fund money gets invested and ultimately is used by other states that do bond to invest in their infrastructure. Why we don't leverage that money to invest in North Dakota is beyond me.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    Wear's the fact that the state has no debt like a badge of honor, nothing more than keeping the state "debt" free. Needless to say, very conservative. I'm not sure if he lines up entirely with the Tea Party faction in the state legislature, but he has strong support amongst that group. I don't understand that logic. The legacy fund money gets invested and ultimately is used by other states that do bond to invest in their infrastructure. Why we don't leverage that money to invest in North Dakota is beyond me.
    The notion the you should have cash in hand to build a 50 or 100 year asset doesn’t make much sense in most contexts. Also, in seems like the idea of more closely matching the timing of payments with the benefits of public goods and services is consistent with conservative principles.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

The notion the you should have cash in hand to build a 50 or 100 year asset doesn’t make much sense in most contexts. Also, in seems like the idea of more closely matching the timing of payments with the benefits of public goods and services is consistent with conservative principles.
    Right, and perhaps financing with Legacy Funds at a given interest rate for guaranteed return on LF investments. Part of the LF investments have to be guaranteed interest I would assume. Could be wrong, but makes sense that some are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Right, and perhaps financing with Legacy Funds at a given interest rate for guaranteed return on LF investments. Part of the LF investments have to be guaranteed interest I would assume. Could be wrong, but makes sense that some are.

To me the Legacy Fund portfolio is a whole separate thing. The investment portfolio, last time I looked was more conservative than the state’s employee pension the teacher retirement funds which makes zero sense. Sure there should be a healthy mix in the portfolio but the Legacy Fund should be invested more aggressively than it is currently.

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

To me the Legacy Fund portfolio is a whole separate thing. The investment portfolio, last time I looked was more conservative than the state’s employee pension the teacher retirement funds which makes zero sense. Sure there should be a healthy mix in the portfolio but the Legacy Fund should be invested more aggressively than it is currently.
    I feel there could be a percentage set aside to assist campus funding.

Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    I feel there could be a percentage set aside to assist campus funding.

I don’t disagree necessarily. Seems like it’s compatible with the expressed purpose. But it also seems like everyone and their mother has an idea about what to use the Legacy Fund for and no one has a comprehensive plan for managing it. So until I see that my default position is skepticism. And as above it would have to be done in the context of an endowment type portfolio, more aggressive than exists today.

Civil06 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    Jeff Delzer will work feverishly to kill this bill and any other bonding bill. I don't agree with his approach, but as long as there is some other plan to fund the buildings I guess I don't care how they do it, shortsighted as it may be.

I know there was a group of legislators that proposed a bill to issue a billion $$ bond for infrastructure projects across the state using legacy fund earnings as a payment source for the bond. Delzer successfully worked to make sure Mike Nathe was not elected House Majority, killing that bill before it was ever introduced. There's so much we could accomplish in this state if we can get our legislators to invest in North Dakota first.

WARNING: Link is to Rob Port opinion. He is spot on about Delzer and his power grab through the appropriations committee, downplaying revenue forecasts, etc.: https://www.inforum.com/opinion/colu...f-cooked-books
    "Rugby is a beastly game played by gentlemen; soccer is a gentleman's game played by beasts; football is a beastly game played by beasts."
    - Henry Blaha