Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonding bill e mail

Default Bonding bill e mail

I received an e mail about the bonding bill for NDSU buildings. It was signed by Joe Hellman, Chair of the Bison caucas. I took the e mail list off because it was so long.

SB 2297 is a bonding bill that is critically important to the advancement of two much-need building projects at NDSU: the Agricultural Products Development Center (APDC) and the replacement of Dunbar Hall, the university’s chemistry building. The APDC will replace Harris Hall and the NDSU meats lab.

This bill is still in the House Appropriations Committee and is in danger of a Do Not Pass recommendation. We need your help contacting the committee members to urge their support of the bill.

You can view members of the House Appropriations Committee here.

If you have limited time, you can copy and paste all the email addresses below to send an email to the entire committee. Alternatively, by individually clicking each email address below, you can send a personal note to each member of the committee (usually much more effective).

Background Information---

Dunbar Hall, Harris Hall, and the meats lab pose a variety of well-documented safety concerns as well as severe limitations in their ability to continue supporting advances in research and education. Fargo Fire officials have said Dunbar Hall is aging so poorly, that fire crews may let it burn if it catches on fire. Faculty and students who occupy Harris Hall and the meats lab face their own research and educational challenges. Here are a couple video reports about Harris Hall and the meats lab:

Fargo Forum Article
    AgWeek TV clip
    ND Grain Growers Video
    I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

GOB1SON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Bonding bill e mail

It is imperative that this bill pass; or some other way is found to make these projects happen.

Dunbar is falling apart. Harris Hall is an embarrassment. The meats lab in Shepperd is 30 years behind modern safety and teaching standards.

My side of this, of course, is the APDC project to replace the meats lab and Harris Hall. NDSU needs these improvements so it can serve ag at a high level.

Also part of this is a new Northern Crops Institute to replace the current building that is attached to Harris. The present plan is to put this west of 18th across and south of the Wellness Center.

If you have any interest in Ag, contact your rep, particularly if they are on house appropriations, and tell them to support SB 2297.

Thanks.
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft-living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life...

Can you guys give us a little more back info on this? No links came through in StL’s post. In particular, who on the HAC is trying to shoot this down? I want to look up their voting history, where they went to school, etc.

BisManBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by WhoRepsTheLurker View Post
    Can you guys give us a little more back info on this? No links came through in StL’s post. In particular, who on the HAC is trying to shoot this down? I want to look up their voting history, where they went to school, etc.
    Jeff Delzer will work feverishly to kill this bill and any other bonding bill. I don't agree with his approach, but as long as there is some other plan to fund the buildings I guess I don't care how they do it, shortsighted as it may be.

I know there was a group of legislators that proposed a bill to issue a billion $$ bond for infrastructure projects across the state using legacy fund earnings as a payment source for the bond. Delzer successfully worked to make sure Mike Nathe was not elected House Majority, killing that bill before it was ever introduced. There's so much we could accomplish in this state if we can get our legislators to invest in North Dakota first.
    The young in this country do not know enough to be prudent,
    and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it generation after generation - Pearl S. Buck

I like to surround myself with people who share in my inappropriate comments, sarcasm, and random shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by BisManBison View Post
    Jeff Delzer will work feverishly to kill this bill and any other bonding bill. I don't agree with his approach, but as long as there is some other plan to fund the buildings I guess I don't care how they do it, shortsighted as it may be.

I know there was a group of legislators that proposed a bill to issue a billion $$ bond for infrastructure projects across the state using legacy fund earnings as a payment source for the bond. Delzer successfully worked to make sure Mike Nathe was not elected House Majority, killing that bill before it was ever introduced. There's so much we could accomplish in this state if we can get our legislators to invest in North Dakota first.
    Where is this guy coming from with the no bonding notion? What is the rationale?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

They've been talking about Dunbar for over 20 years? (Don't remember anything about Harris lab, but think Sheppard came up as well) Pretty sure Dunbar already was an issue when I was there in 98... it's probably about time for it, are there any other buildings more critical on campus at this point than the ones listed here? Seems the others have all been addressed far as I know, outside of the dorm buildings which several have not been remodeled much at all since they were built I don't believe? Which are probably the next big ticket item? Or have they been doing stuff to those as they go that don't make big news items?

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    They've been talking about Dunbar for over 20 years? (Don't remember anything about Harris lab, but think Sheppard came up as well) Pretty sure Dunbar already was an issue when I was there in 98... it's probably about time for it, are there any other buildings more critical on campus at this point than the ones listed here? Seems the others have all been addressed far as I know, outside of the dorm buildings which several have not been remodeled much at all since they were built I don't believe? Which are probably the next big ticket item? Or have they been doing stuff to those as they go that don't make big news items?
    Dorm construction projects are paid for with bonds backed by room and board payments, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Dorm construction projects are paid for with bonds backed by room and board payments, I believe.
    Probably so would make sense. Since 98 have there been any wholesale remodels to any of them? I'm assuming light fixtures and the such that are generally pretty easy to redo are being done. Would seem like "modernization" of some of them would be in the plans coming up here in the next 10 years or so? Especially now that they have somewhat resolved the housing crunch on campus, and with several projects close to campus as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Probably so would make sense. Since 98 have there been any wholesale remodels to any of them? I'm assuming light fixtures and the such that are generally pretty easy to redo are being done. Would seem like "modernization" of some of them would be in the plans coming up here in the next 10 years or so? Especially now that they have somewhat resolved the housing crunch on campus, and with several projects close to campus as well.
    The field office I worked in was filthy and falling apart. We built a large, new shop building to store a tractor. That was the way it worked when I worked for Missouri too. Build new let stuff fall apart.