Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 3/22 NCAA Tournament Second (aka First) Round vs #1 Duke!

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 3/22 NCAA Tournament Second (aka First) Round vs #1 Duke!

I'm having a hard time getting excited for this one. I'm not convinced getting blown out by 30+ is good exposure. Who remembers those teams each year as anything but irrelevant? While last night was fun to watch, we just barely beat the worst team by far in the tourney from a league that is supposedly far inferior while getting out-muscled in the process. Exceeding expectations or not, things are much worse not just with the Bison but with the Summit than previous years.

Oh well, not going to dwell on it. Hopefully this year is a springboard for a resurgence next year. That can start tomorrow with a respectable showing, however unlikely that is.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MNLonghorn10 View Post
    Did Richman ever offer Zion? He'd be nice to pair next to Kruser. Modern day twin towers.
    If we did get him would they play at the same time?

We'll see if we can cover the spread, but I think a more interesting bet would be if Zion can have a 30-30 game against us. After watching last night, I would say the only way he doesn't is if they pull their guys really early.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    I'm having a hard time getting excited for this one. I'm not convinced getting blown out by 30+ is good exposure. Who remembers those teams each year as anything but irrelevant? While last night was fun to watch, we just barely beat the worst team by far in the tourney from a league that is supposedly far inferior while getting out-muscled in the process. Exceeding expectations or not, things are much worse not just with the Bison but with the Summit than previous years.

Oh well, not going to dwell on it. Hopefully, this year is a springboard for a resurgence next year. That can start tomorrow with a respectable showing, however unlikely that is.
    I fully understand what you are saying. Kind of gives a little perspective on how teams like San Diego in football come into the Dome knowing their fate. In spite of what is likely to happen tomorrow night, I would rather the Bison be in this position than going to the NIT and getting knocked out right away or sitting at home like UN_.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    If we did get him would they play at the same time?

We'll see if we can cover the spread, but I think a more interesting bet would be if Zion can have a 30-30 game against us. After watching last night, I would say the only way he doesn't is if they pull their guys really early.
    HAHAHAHAHA! (for the bolded part)

This is, as Vet70 said, kind of like San Diego v NDSU, except that it wouldn't take two games for NDSU to get to double digits.

But, hey, millions and millions of people will be rooting for NDSU just because they hate Duke so we've got that going for us.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Oh well, not going to dwell on it. Hopefully this year is a springboard for a resurgence next year. That can start tomorrow with a respectable showing, however unlikely that is.
    This particular game probably won't remembered, but from a marketing perspective exposure is always good and builds the brand. People have seen the name 4 times in the last 10 years in the tournament. In one of those they were a popular pick for an upset as a 12 seed and then followed through. Add in the exposure of 7 national championships in 8 years and the success of Carson Wentz in Philly and this helps reinforce and build the brand. By Monday most people will have forgotten who Duke beat in the first round, but the general Bison brand will have received a huge boost from the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdThat! View Post
    Keys to the game for the team:
    1) go the the local middle school consult their basketball coach on what boxing out is how to rebound
    2) have the facilities manager slit all pairs of blue Nike’s coming in to the arena Friday
    3) double team Zion with Rocky and Ward, double Barrett with Samuelson and Griesel, man to man on Reddish with Geu and leave Tre and Bolden open all game
    4) sell Bison shirts outside the arena for all attendees to the games that aren’t Duke fans to create a home atmosphere
    5) Will Veasley creates the game plan
    6) spit on the floor when Zion is trucking down the lane so he slips on launch

This should help us cover the spread
    To expand on #3 we may want to try doubling all 5 Dukies.
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1500/gobisoncy9.gif

Strommer10 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    This particular game probably won't remembered, but from a marketing perspective exposure is always good and builds the brand. People have seen the name 4 times in the last 10 years in the tournament. In one of those they were a popular pick for an upset as a 12 seed and then followed through. Add in the exposure of 7 national championships in 8 years and the success of Carson Wentz in Philly and this helps reinforce and build the brand. By Monday most people will have forgotten who Duke beat in the first round, but the general Bison brand will have received a huge boost from the opportunity.
    THIS!
    Others also have to remember, this year was supposed to be Daum's coronation in the NCAA Tournament. SDSU was supposed to get their first NCAA Tournament win this year (According to bunny fans). Instead SDSU bows out of the NIT in front of 500 fans.

NDSU secured its 2nd NCAA Tournament win last night and everything beyond this is just gravy IMO.

I think most of the country expects duke to win their first game by 30 against half the bracket. I'll be happy if it's a 15 point loss and the exposure will be huge. Building toward next year when we will have the entire team back plus a 7 foot Center.

Who knows maybe we play out of our minds and Duke plays like crap with the long layover. Maybe they take us lightly

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

RedRiver is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Really? It's about exposure for NDSU and an opportunity for the team. Maybe NDSU should ask not to have their game with Duke on CBS during prime time with the A team announcers. Still whining after a NDSU win in the NCAA basketball tournament, something that will be accomplished by only 30 some teams out of 350 DI schools.

CalBison97 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Another telling sign of our rise to fame? The correct pronunciation of biZun (the Z does not stand for Zion).
    Stand your ground, have a tough hide, roam wild and free, have a strong spirit, let the chips fall where they may.