Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Outdoor Season

Default Re: 2019 Outdoor Season

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Anyone know about Riley (javelin) or Maddie (3000m Steeplchase, or 5000m) this year for the Championships?
    Riley has now entered his name for the USA T&F Championships. He has the best throw so far of everyone entering the meet. I believe it was one of his throws from last August.

I don't know whether Riley (Maddie, other former Bison) have been in any meets this year (or are even training). There is not a good place to go to find out what they are doing. The performances of world class athletes are often tracked pretty well on iaaf.org, but the very good who are on the cusp but not world class (say Top 100 in the world) - it is tough to find information on them.

Riley has been throwing/competing this year. First meet was Drake Relays.

Here is how he has been doing. It looks like he is ready for the USA Championships. (from iaaf.org)

26 APR 2019 Drake Relays, Des Moines, IA 76.73
    18 MAY 2019 Elite Classic, Tucson, AZ 77.84
    20 JUN 2019 Harry Jerome Track Classic, Burnaby Canada 78.59
    30 JUN 2019 American JavFest, East Stroudsburg, PA 79.28

His best in 2017 was 75.10
    His best in 2016 was 80.42
    His best in 2015 was 81.62
    His best in 2014 was 79.27
    His best in 2013 was 83.50 (next best was 78.76)
    His best in 2012 was 72.60

Laura Roesler has signed up for the USA T&F Championships around 25-27 July. Nice to see this.

She had a very good indoor season (three races only, but set personal bests (PB) at both 800m and 1000m). I don't believe she has run a single race outdoors yet. Good article/interview with her a few months ago. She said she has been battling injuries since graduating from Oregon - said during the indoor season she was finally running pain free again. I wonder if she did not get re-injured, if this is the reason for no outdoor races so far - I don't know, just wondering. In any case, glad to see she will be at the Championships. Be nice if she can get healthy and back in form. She's got a race or two well below her present PB in the 800m - if it can all come together.
    One week from the U.S. Championships and per iaaf.org and her agency, neither show that Laura Roesler has run a race since her terrific indoor season. Suggests to me she is injured again. If this is so, and after a couple years of one injury after another, it is long past the time to get a new coach and a new trainer. Something not right here. Injuries are not entirely preventable, but with proper stretching, proper pre-workout drills, right kinds of strength training, right kinds of warm-down, they can be minimized. This apparently ain't happening with Laura.

Turns out Akealy Moton would have received an entry to the USA Track & Field Championships if she had applied.
    She did not meet the automatic qualifying standard, but they take a certain number of athletes and what they don't fill through the automatic qualifying standard, they fill by taking the next best athletes. Moton would have gotten in if she had submitted an entry.

Riley has now entered his name for the USA T&F Championships. He has the best throw so far of everyone entering the meet. I believe it was one of his throws from last August.

I don't know whether Riley (Maddie, other former Bison) have been in any meets this year (or are even training). There is not a good place to go to find out what they are doing. The performances of world class athletes are often tracked pretty well on iaaf.org, but the very good who are on the cusp but not world class (say Top 100 in the world) - it is tough to find information on them.
    Maddie apparently still training and competing. Ran a 33 minute (and change) 10K, that got her into the USA T & F Championships per the start list info. I could not find anymore information on this or any other race she has been in. gobison.com also mentioned she was in the Championships. Good luck Maddie.

Quote Originally Posted by 89MTBISON View Post
    Lars said Payton is struggling with injuries this spring.
    Likely cost him a title at the NCAAs. Doesn't take much to get one slightly off their edge.
    Hopefully healed and at 100% for the USA T & Fs.
    The Otter has a NIKE endorsement now. Impressive.

Maddie apparently still training and competing. Ran a 33 minute (and change) 10K, that got her into the USA T & F Championships per the start list info. I could not find anymore information on this or any other race she has been in. gobison.com also mentioned she was in the Championships. Good luck Maddie.
    Here is a list of Maddie's races for 2019.

https://maddiefromfargo.com/2019-season/

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Likely cost him a title at the NCAAs. Doesn't take much to get one slightly off their edge.
    Hopefully healed and at 100% for the USA T & Fs.
    The Otter has a NIKE endorsement now. Impressive.
    Lot's to be proud of for Payton this year, bittersweet in that he missed an outdoor title. We rode him pretty hard this year, T&F at NDSU is all about team conference titles, but athletes like Payton only come around once in a generation. Would have been nice if he had stayed healthy, he had a legitimate shot at four NCAA titles in the same year. That's hard to get your head wrapped around, we think we have a great football team, Payton had the potential to be an all time great, Div 1 T&F athlete, period. When do we get another Bowerman semifinalist? Probably not in my lifetime.

... Payton had the potential to be an all time great, Div 1 T&F athlete, period.
    Already an all-time great at NDSU.
    With all-time college indoor record in hand, one could argue all-time great now on a national level.
    Certainly with both indoor and outdoor champships (and possibly an all-time record outdoors), it would have been cemented !

When do we get another Bowerman semifinalist? Probably not in my lifetime.
    Knee-jerk is that I agree. Then I thought about Akealy Moton. Some potential there. She is only a freshman at NDSU, still learning how to throw. Was a First Team All-American.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 07-25-2019 at 12:04 AM.

Lot's to be proud of for Payton this year, bittersweet in that he missed an outdoor title. We rode him pretty hard this year, T&F at NDSU is all about team conference titles, but athletes like Payton only come around once in a generation. Would have been nice if he had stayed healthy, he had a legitimate shot at four NCAA titles in the same year. That's hard to get your head wrapped around, we think we have a great football team, Payton had the potential to be an all time great, Div 1 T&F athlete, period. When do we get another Bowerman semifinalist? Probably not in my lifetime.
    Stick around for a few years.
    https://mn.milesplit.com/videos/392796