Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Outdoor Season

Default Re: 2019 Outdoor Season

Quote Originally Posted by BisonJump View Post
    As a former track athlete, collegiate coach and exercise physiologist, I had a friend who used to try to get under my skin by stating that track isn’t a sport. I’d tell him that track and field is better described as a test of what the human body is physically capable of and as such, is far more relevant than some game.
    Track: The sport sanctioned by the Greek gods themselves.

89MTBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonJump View Post
    As a former track athlete, collegiate coach and exercise physiologist, I had a friend who used to try to get under my skin by stating that track isn’t a sport. I’d tell him that track and field is better described as a test of what the human body is physically capable of and as such, is far more relevant than some game.
    Let me guess, he (or she) was left staring at the ground mumbling to themselves.

Just a few days before Dolezal and the Otter go to Minsk, Belarus for an international dual meet - sort of as a prep for the World T & F Championships in Doha at the end of September. I hope they do well. The competition is next M and T (Sept 9-10).

Riley is now #30 in the world. Needs to be #32 or better to have a shot at going to Doha. He was #29 a week or two ago.
    The Otter seems pretty secure in going to Doha. He is currently #17 in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Just a few days before Dolezal and the Otter go to Minsk, Belarus for an international dual meet - sort of as a prep for the World T & F Championships in Doha at the end of September. I hope they do well. The competition is next M and T (Sept 9-10).

Riley is now #30 in the world. Needs to be #32 or better to have a shot at going to Doha. He was #29 a week or two ago.
    The Otter seems pretty secure in going to Doha. He is currently #17 in the world.
    Full results are on this website: http://europe-usa.com/eng

The Otter threw 20.72 meters yesterday (Sept 9), which is 67' 11-3/4", good for 5th place
    Riley threw 76.98 meters today (Sept 10), 252' 6-1/2 inches, good for 6th place. 5th was 82 some meters, the winner threw 90 some meters.

Decent performances, but far from their personal bests, and their season bests. The Otter is still on his way to Doha. Riley is still at #30, I think top 32 go.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 09-10-2019 at 10:40 PM.

Full results are on this website: http://europe-usa.com/eng

The Otter threw 20.72 meters yesterday (Sept 9), which is 67' 11-3/4", good for 5th place
    Riley threw 76.98 meters today (Sept 10), 252' 6-1/2 inches, good for 6th place. 5th was 82 some meters, the winner threw 90 some meters.

Decent performances, but far from their personal bests, and their season bests. The Otter is still on his way to Doha. Riley is still at #30, I think top 32 go.
    Saw on gobison.com that Riley made it to Doha.
    The meet folks must have had a cutoff date at a few days ago. So NDSU has two people going - the Otter, and Riley. I hope they both do well. It would be great to see Riley hit the Olympic qualifying standard of 85.0 meters. Riley has thrown a PB of 83.50, and threw high 82s this summer. If he hits it, he will likely go b/c based on his US Championship performances the last few years, he will probably be top 3 in the Trials next year. Then he would go.

The Otter - also going to Doha, hope he has a super meet. Nice to see him throw over 21.0 meters, which is the 2020 Olympic qualifying standard in the shot put. He threw well over 21m both indoors and outdoors. The Doha meet should help harden him, toughen him up, for international competition.

Doha - the World Championships coming up on Sept 27 through Oct 6. The entry lists - automatic and provisional (tentative provisional?) came out recently.

I was surprised to see that the Otter did not make the list. Last I checked he was 17th in the World, which would be an automatic entry. It appears that a country can have a maximum of 4 throwers. The US has three over 22 meters. The fourth (Jonathan Jones) threw 21.63 meters this year, which is less that the Otter's indoor collegiate record throw. Based on best throws, the Otter should go. So what does this mean? Is the Otter injured?

Riley Dolezal is still on the list for Doha as one of two US entries in the Javelin.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 09-20-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Final Doha lists are out.

Riley is in, javelin.
    Otter is out, Shot Put.

Someone out there knows what the deal is with the Otter, why he is not going. Can you fill us in?
    He has thrown better than the US #4 guy who is going, so the Otter should be going. But he is not. If its personal, we (no one in Bisonville) needs to know to know the details - but if we were all told it was 'personal' (w/o stating what) that would be helpful. I am thinking he got a summer flu or got injured, or simply opted not to go for some reason. Granted we all don't need to know why he is not going, but I am curious.
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 09-23-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Laura Roesler.

The World T & F season is basically over, with one big meet left - Doha, starting next Sunday (9/17). According to iaaf.org and Roesler's sports management company, she did not run a single race outdoors this year.

This does not necessarily mean she did not. It could be she is no longer with Pace Sp. Management and any races she ran were not reported to iaaf. But I wd guess this is not the case. If it is not the case, I assume Roesler got injured pretty bad, or has been suffering from sickness or other malady.

Doggone it - no matter what the issue is, I wish she could get a couple of clean seasons in now that she is in the prime of her life for the distances she runs, even though the competition is as tough as it has ever been in the 800m.

This isn't Bison news, but I liked the article.

https://www.newser.com/article/f9451...s_sports_img_b

Part of the reason Young did not get a lot of recognition, I suspect, is because Edwin Moses was the greatest 400m hurdler at the time, though just past his prime, and had won something like 100 races in a row. Then along comes Young, somewhat out of nowhere, to run some very good times (though still not like Moses had), then all of a sudden smash Moses record. A favorite of the people (Moses) suddenly displaced by a little known hurdler from Watts, CA (best noted for its race riots).
    Last edited by Buffalo.Rider; 09-23-2019 at 07:17 PM.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Final Doha lists are out.

Riley is in, javelin.
    Otter is out, Shot Put.

Someone out there knows what the deal is with the Otter, why he is not going. Can you fill us in?
    He has thrown better than the US #4 guy who is going, so the Otter should be going. But he is not. If its personal, we (no one in Bisonville) needs to know to know the details - but if we were all told it was 'personal' (w/o stating what) that would be helpful. I am thinking he got a summer flu or got injured, or simply opted not to go for some reason. Granted we all don't need to know why he is not going, but I am curious.

The US championships in July was the qualifying meet for the US team selection to Doha. Basically the same as the Olympic trials, top 3 finishers in each event if they have the qualifying standard. The defending World champions are automatically in. Otter was not a top 3 place winner in DesMoines while Riley was.