Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Saul Out at Ohio

Default Re: Saul Out at Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBison View Post
    I don't really know how to process that...
    I can vaguely remember that having a job was better than being unemployed.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    I can vaguely remember that having a job was better than being unemployed.
    I'm not so certain. You rather be working now?

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

I don't really know how to process that...
    Wait until Miles comes home and is announced as his assistant. Your head will turn in circles and explode and Aberdeen will have a packed house every game with 2 coaches having a great time.

Not gonna happen but sure would be fun to watch.

I'm not so certain. You rather be working now?
    No---that is why I said: "I can vaguely remember...".
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

NDSU should of brought Saul in....
    Told Richman he is going back to ASST Head Coach

Richman goes down to $140k
    Saul gets $160k

missed opportunity!
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    It's probably a reasonably smart move. What gets you noticed by higher profile jobs more than anything? Winning. But to win, you need to be at program where you have the resources to win. He can do that at Northern St. Look at the three jobs that were open recently: Idaho St, UND and Northern St. To get the wins to springboard you back into the mid-majors, which program is most likely to get you there?

So three to five years at NSU while making runs into the D2 tourney. Then, when mid- or high-major programs are looking for a new coach, Saul will have had success at low-major NDSU, success at D2 NSU, and minimal success at mid-major Ohio which was marred with multiple years of injuries. It's a much better resume than replacing the NSU D2 success with poor to middling results at Idaho St or UND because it's nearly impossible to reliably win there. Maybe a one-year surprise season, but no sustained success. (Though I'm sure UND fans will argue.)

Or a shorter version: What worked better: Bohl heading to higher level but tough to win at Wyoming or Klieman staying at lower level but easier to win* NDSU?

*due to the support and strength of the program
    Yup, Northern is a premier D2 program in terms of fan support. They averaged over 3,700 fans per game last year. By comparison neither SDSU or USD could crack 2,300 (link).

Of course that begs the question why the "Bohl" in this scenario, Craig Sather - who is an NSU alum, would make the move to UND but no matter how you look at it Northern is a pretty cushy landing spot for Saul Phillips. Hopefully they don't get too attached to him down there is all I can say though.

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    It's probably a reasonably smart move. What gets you noticed by higher profile jobs more than anything? Winning. But to win, you need to be at program where you have the resources to win. He can do that at Northern St. Look at the three jobs that were open recently: Idaho St, UND and Northern St. To get the wins to springboard you back into the mid-majors, which program is most likely to get you there?
    If you want to spin it as him having a choice, sure you could maybe sell that and now he can show he can maintain a winning program whereas the other two are going to take a bit more work to build up (which is likely the reason Sather was picked at UND as he's shown he can do it on two separate occasions). But the choice for Saul wasn't UND/Idaho St/NSU, it was NSU/nothing at this point in time. He would have taken the first two in a heartbeat, but he didn't make the cut as a finalist at either one.

Regardless, I don't think Saul will be at NSU for more than a couple years, though if he gets another D1 head job, I think it will be a low major below the job he just left. Will be interesting to see the pay cut he took and how his contract is structured since NSU has to assume the same.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    If you want to spin it as him having a choice, sure you could maybe sell that and now he can show he can maintain a winning program whereas the other two are going to take a bit more work to build up (which is likely the reason Sather was picked at UND as he's shown he can do it on two separate occasions). But the choice for Saul wasn't UND/Idaho St/NSU, it was NSU/nothing at this point in time. He would have taken the first two in a heartbeat, but he didn't make the cut as a finalist at either one.

Regardless, I don't think Saul will be at NSU for more than a couple years, though if he gets another D1 head job, I think it will be a low major below the job he just left. Will be interesting to see the pay cut he took and how his contract is structured since NSU has to assume the same.
    Saul made plenty of money at Ohio and can take a pay cut for awhile. I am sure he would love to get back to a D1 program but time will tell. Tom B is doing just fine in the same situation.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Yup, Northern is a premier D2 program in terms of fan support. They averaged over 3,700 fans per game last year. By comparison neither SDSU or USD could crack 2,300 (link).

Of course that begs the question why the "Bohl" in this scenario, Craig Sather - who is an NSU alum, would make the move to UND but no matter how you look at it Northern is a pretty cushy landing spot for Saul Phillips. Hopefully they don't get too attached to him down there is all I can say though.
    I think Sather needs to prove he can do something at the DI level, which Saul has already done. Sather's only other experience is at Black Hills State. If he even does ok to good at UND, that will probably be enough to get him noticed if that's what he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post

I don't know. I wonder how much Saul pursued either the ISU or UND jobs. I know he applied for at least the ISU job, but how serious was he about it? Did he ask for too much money? Or maybe ISU already had the guy they wanted before they opened applications(which is what I think happened). The ISU job went to an up and coming D2 coach from the Pacific NW, where ISU will likely be recruiting from. I wonder what happened at UND. Did Saul even actually apply? I honestly don't remember. Seems like a no-brainer for UND to choose Saul if he did unless Saul asked for something UND couldn't give. Saul has local name recognition, knows the other Summit programs better than Sather, knows DI better, and is comfortable with the recruiting region. I highly doubt Saul applied or made an honest push for the job. I suspect he has enough of a financial buffer from his Ohio years to wait a year for the right opportunity to come along(but probably not more than a year, and you don't want your name out of the game for more than that anyway).

And I think Saul's next job could be at the equal or higher level than Ohio. There were quite a few people with knowledge of the situation at Ohio that believe Saul wasn't given a fair chance there. It's very possible another mid-major program might view his mediocre Ohio years as a combination of bad luck(injuries) and a questionable or foolish athletic director. That of course assumes Saul does well at NSU.