Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
I don't know. I wonder how much Saul pursued either the ISU or UND jobs. I know he applied for at least the ISU job, but how serious was he about it? Did he ask for too much money? Or maybe ISU already had the guy they wanted before they opened applications(which is what I think happened). The ISU job went to an up and coming D2 coach from the Pacific NW, where ISU will likely be recruiting from. I wonder what happened at UND. Did Saul even actually apply? I honestly don't remember. Seems like a no-brainer for UND to choose Saul if he did unless Saul asked for something UND couldn't give. Saul has local name recognition, knows the other Summit programs better than Sather, knows DI better, and is comfortable with the recruiting region. I highly doubt Saul applied or made an honest push for the job. I suspect he has enough of a financial buffer from his Ohio years to wait a year for the right opportunity to come along(but probably not more than a year, and you don't want your name out of the game for more than that anyway).

And I think Saul's next job could be at the equal or higher level than Ohio. There were quite a few people with knowledge of the situation at Ohio that believe Saul wasn't given a fair chance there. It's very possible another mid-major program might view his mediocre Ohio years as a combination of bad luck(injuries) and a questionable or foolish athletic director. That of course assumes Saul does well at NSU.
My first two thoughts regarding Saul and UND were that UND wanted to distance themselves from someone with NDSU ties, or that Saul would cost more than Rather.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk