Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Saul Out at Ohio

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Saul Out at Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    I don't know. I wonder how much Saul pursued either the ISU or UND jobs. I know he applied for at least the ISU job, but how serious was he about it? Did he ask for too much money? Or maybe ISU already had the guy they wanted before they opened applications(which is what I think happened). The ISU job went to an up and coming D2 coach from the Pacific NW, where ISU will likely be recruiting from. I wonder what happened at UND. Did Saul even actually apply? I honestly don't remember. Seems like a no-brainer for UND to choose Saul if he did unless Saul asked for something UND couldn't give. Saul has local name recognition, knows the other Summit programs better than Sather, knows DI better, and is comfortable with the recruiting region. I highly doubt Saul applied or made an honest push for the job. I suspect he has enough of a financial buffer from his Ohio years to wait a year for the right opportunity to come along(but probably not more than a year, and you don't want your name out of the game for more than that anyway).

And I think Saul's next job could be at the equal or higher level than Ohio. There were quite a few people with knowledge of the situation at Ohio that believe Saul wasn't given a fair chance there. It's very possible another mid-major program might view his mediocre Ohio years as a combination of bad luck(injuries) and a questionable or foolish athletic director. That of course assumes Saul does well at NSU.
    My first two thoughts regarding Saul and UND were that UND wanted to distance themselves from someone with NDSU ties, or that Saul would cost more than Rather.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    If you want to spin it as him having a choice, sure you could maybe sell that and now he can show he can maintain a winning program whereas the other two are going to take a bit more work to build up (which is likely the reason Sather was picked at UND as he's shown he can do it on two separate occasions). But the choice for Saul wasn't UND/Idaho St/NSU, it was NSU/nothing at this point in time. He would have taken the first two in a heartbeat, but he didn't make the cut as a finalist at either one.

Regardless, I don't think Saul will be at NSU for more than a couple years, though if he gets another D1 head job, I think it will be a low major below the job he just left. Will be interesting to see the pay cut he took and how his contract is structured since NSU has to assume the same.
    WRONG. Saul at Idaho St was told they couldn't meet his negotiated salary. so im guessing once saul found out unds salary they talked & didnt even bother making him a finalist. NSU he can make dam near same as und and be a winner
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Weird, thought he would take an assistant job

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by oldmantutters View Post
    My first two thoughts regarding Saul and UND were that UND wanted to distance themselves from someone with NDSU ties.
    Yep, this is why I said from the start the school up north isn't smart enough to hire Saul. Was never worried for a single second he would end up there. I guess they can tell themselves whatever they want to make themselves feel better about why they passed on Saul...at least Saul isn't stuck in that basketball abyss. NSU is a place that loves basketball.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    WRONG. Saul at Idaho St was told they couldn't meet his negotiated salary. so im guessing once saul found out unds salary they talked & didnt even bother making him a finalist. NSU he can make dam near same as und and be a winner
    So Idaho State couldn't meet his salary, yet he took a job that is likely going to pay less? ISU went with an up and coming, hugely successful D2 coach from the Pacific NW. I don't think Saul had a shot regardless and it is nothing against him.

As for UND, Sather, after 9 years of success at NSU and an alum to boot, was topped out at $100K. The UND salary was negotiable with the minimum posted at the previous coaches salary. Sather talked them up almost 30% above that. Yet somehow Saul wasn't going to get paid enough at UND so he backed out with his new plan being to hope that Sather got the UND job, then take over that position and hope to make around 2/3's the amount he would have at UND? Come on. I know Saul interviewed, and he likely would have been a "finalist" if they would have done the top 3 candidates instead of having one internal and one external that had ties to UND along with Sather. The true finalists probably should have been Saul/Sather/Boschee and maybe Herbst.

Saul's a great guy (which is obvious why fans and media are at his defense) and after watching his interview, it is apparent that he just wants to coach. I'm not so certain he doesn't end up at NSU longer than everyone originally predicted, other than the 75% salary decrease, it is a great landing spot for him. But to pretend he didn't struggle big time in Ohio and that didn't tarnish he shine is just silly. A 51% winning percentage in 5 years with 2 winning seasons. A 44% conference winning percentage with no NCAA berths, never even making it to the finals in the conference tournament and, since I know some a big fan of them, 0 "signature wins". Regardless of injuries/transfers/etc, if he would have had those numbers at NDSU, this board would have (rightfully) been calling for him to not be renewed. Pretty obvious since Richman has significantly better numbers and people are looking for him to be gone (59% / 58% / 2 NCAA tournament appearances)

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

So Idaho State couldn't meet his salary, yet he took a job that is likely going to pay less? ISU went with an up and coming, hugely successful D2 coach from the Pacific NW. I don't think Saul had a shot regardless and it is nothing against him.

As for UND, Sather, after 9 years of success at NSU and an alum to boot, was topped out at $100K. The UND salary was negotiable with the minimum posted at the previous coaches salary. Sather talked them up almost 30% above that. Yet somehow Saul wasn't going to get paid enough at UND so he backed out with his new plan being to hope that Sather got the UND job, then take over that position and hope to make around 2/3's the amount he would have at UND? Come on. I know Saul interviewed, and he likely would have been a "finalist" if they would have done the top 3 candidates instead of having one internal and one external that had ties to UND along with Sather. The true finalists probably should have been Saul/Sather/Boschee and maybe Herbst.

Saul's a great guy (which is obvious why fans and media are at his defense) and after watching his interview, it is apparent that he just wants to coach. I'm not so certain he doesn't end up at NSU longer than everyone originally predicted, other than the 75% salary decrease, it is a great landing spot for him. But to pretend he didn't struggle big time in Ohio and that didn't tarnish he shine is just silly. A 51% winning percentage in 5 years with 2 winning seasons. A 44% conference winning percentage with no NCAA berths, never even making it to the finals in the conference tournament and, since I know some a big fan of them, 0 "signature wins". Regardless of injuries/transfers/etc, if he would have had those numbers at NDSU, this board would have (rightfully) been calling for him to not be renewed. Pretty obvious since Richman has significantly better numbers and people are looking for him to be gone (59% / 58% / 2 NCAA tournament appearances)
    At least with Saul as HC I'd feel confident in his connections and charisma to give a school like UND/NDSU a chance to schedule games to get a signature win and to setup some better OOC games. I don't know enough about Sather to make a call on him but I don't have any confidence in Richman to do that.

yes 100% true at Idaho State (which was over a month ago) UND was in same perdicament, they couldn't pay more than $125k or so.....so then I'm sure Saul panicked and said "screw it, ill do 90k,100k at northern state now"
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

yes 100% true at Idaho State (which was over a month ago) UND was in same perdicament, they couldn't pay more than $125k or so.....so then I'm sure Saul panicked and said "screw it, ill do 90k,100k at northern state now"
    UND was paying Brian Jones more than 125k. And it's a D1 job. I don't know if Saul applied or what he did or didn't do, but the UND job is paying Sather $180k.
    College of Business Alumnus

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The UND job was advertised at a minimum of $140K. It also stated it was negotiable. Which it was because Sather got $180K.
    Saul couldn't have "panicked" and decided to take the NSU job until after Sather took the UND job, which was after he was out of the running. Your timeline has no basis in fact.

Put the shovel down and walk away.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."