Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan Support

Default Re: Fan Support

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    What in the world is going on? I have been at every Summit League Championship game. Granted Eastern ND has a blizzard rolling in later today, but 2009 had a full out blizzard with school closed the next day, and the student section as packed.

Last night, I don't know if we had one legit student in the student section (other than the band). A few older guys like myself getting drunk and being pretty hilarious, but the students were not there.

Football has been on the decline and now a no show for the Summit League championship game. What gives?
    hearing all the media report about how bad NDSU was in the 3 weeks prior probably did not help. Last night on WDAY sports admitted he was one of the nay sayers and was wrong. but that and the weather would have hurt. Yes the student attendance at MBB was not good, and even worst at WBB.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfanette View Post
    My first thought was, "Why didn't the FRIENDS of the bb players go to a tournament game or two?" I don't understand that. Students are different I guess.
    I remember 10 yrs ago, my nephews were friends of the "Woodside & crew" bb team. All of the friends, & many more, piled into cars & got down to Sious Falls for the Championship game. They wouldn't have missed it for the world! They all had college & tests the next day, & had to get back to school.
    Stormy weather driving home & I-29 was closed. They went East & drove all the way North on some little hiway in order to get to our farm in blizzard conditions.
    Quite a memory for a car load of guys... but they were NOT going to miss that game.
    (Note: Ndsu kids are on spring break right now.)
    Agree what I noticed most is the on court attitude of the players now vs the Woodside group. Not that is a bad thing but a different era. Woodside group was definitely more business like on the court. Now its alot different. Of course different coaches etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by imabison View Post
    hearing all the media report about how bad NDSU was in the 3 weeks prior probably did not help. Last night on WDAY sports admitted he was one of the nay sayers and was wrong. but that and the weather would have hurt. Yes the student attendance at MBB was not good, and even worst at WBB.
    Have to admit, reading the multiple threads on this site about how crappy our basketball program is had me second guessing why I was spending my time, money and energy on the trip to Sioux Falls. Sure happy I did!

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by imabison View Post
    Agree what I noticed most is the on court attitude of the players now vs the Woodside group. Not that is a bad thing but a different era. Woodside group was definitely more business like on the court. Now its alot different. Of course different coaches etc etc.
    It's not really fair to compare the Woodside era to 2019. Students, alumni, and t-shirt fans all had a bond and rooting interest in those teams. Part of it was because of their wins over ranked schools that helped fans begin to believe that we were actually good. The other part of it was the story behind DI and wanting to prove everybody wrong while having a popular coach push that narrative. The above community just has not created a bond with DR and his teams. Outside of Big Dex, was there any charisma or reason to really pay attention? It's hard to get fired up about a team that gets killed in non conference and then muddles their way through the conference schedule with hopes of getting hot in Sioux Falls. NDSU fans have a chip on their shoulder and show up in droves when we think we aren't getting the respect we deserve. The basketball program just doesn't have that vibe.
    Last edited by AKBison; 03-14-2019 at 12:15 AM.

North Side is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Thats a good point $$$ tuition.

The style and quality of play have been pretty bad the last couple of years. That will kill a following. Just because they are in the tournament is not going to make people forget. So not a lot of fans were willing to drive 250 miles, spend some cash to see if Richmond could pull a rabbit out of a hat. Especially when hes been quoted as saying he doesnt care about the scoreboard.

I really dont see what the big mystery is here.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

heckler is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    The style and quality of play have been pretty bad the last couple of years. That will kill a following. Just because they are in the tournament is not going to make people forget. So not a lot of fans were willing to drive 250 miles, spend some cash to see if Richmond could pull a rabbit out of a hat. Especially when hes been quoted as saying he doesnt care about the scoreboard.

I really dont see what the big mystery is here.
    This is exactly why I don't go and I live in North Fargo. I hate our style of play and really not a fan of DR.

Not many students are going to want to spend their spring break in SF, also it costs money to go SF and like others have said students are a bit cash strapped these days.

That said, the league doesn't give a damn about traveling fans so I don't give a damn about how many fans we had there. It is what it is.

Home attendance is more concerning, we lost something when we played at Scheel Arena and it has never come back.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 2011BisonAlumni View Post
    Kid who works with me and went to the game just graduated from NDSU. He had an interesting take on it. All universities are seeing attendance drop from the students. His response is nobody has time to go to the games anymore because school costs a boatload and everyone he knew was always working.

Could be valid.
    This is exactly my observation.
    Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Youngstown is the Grand Forks of Ohio.

I kept my season tickets this year not knowing what to expect out of this years team. I thought they played very well at home. I missed the loss against FW. I was at the gut punch last second loss against SDSU. I was also at the loss against Omaha were NDSU lead by 2 with 5:23 left.

I thought it was a great home season where both the style of play and the outcomes of the games were very exciting. Not sure how much more you could ask for as far as the conference schedule goes. Some more exciting out of conference games would definitely be a bonus though.