Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan Support

Default Re: Fan Support

NDSU needs to build up it's culture of fandom for basketball. Compared to football there are no traditions or practices that are followed regularly. There's nothing built up outside of the game that pulls people in and keeps them coming back.

The most interesting step I saw towards something like that this year was the student competition between dorms at the one game. Do more shit like that. Brought in a full section of students who looked like they had fun at the game and improved the game day atmosphere for everyone. Do a costume night around Halloween like countless other schools do, or anything else to build the student attendance. I think if you started there the rest would follow.

Big part of this would be fix the damn scheduling. Stop having so many of the big match up or rivalry games when classes are out or when students are less able to attend.

And get a better intro video. This year's sucked goat scrotum.

For those who want beer at games. There is no doubt it would increase attendance. I have even visited with out of town football fans who have said that if they had known that there was no beer at the Dome they wouldn't have made the trip. What I don't really get is why someone can't just get to the games without needing to drink for two or three hours. As far as President B goes he is not going to allow beer at the SHAC.

As an aside, don't think I don't drink. I tailgate my ass off before every football game. Ask Loaf. I drink all of his liquor I can.
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    For those who want beer at games. There is no doubt it would increase attendance. I have even visited with out of town football fans who have said that if they had known that there was no beer at the Dome they wouldn't have made the trip. What I don't really get is why someone can't just get to the games without needing to drink for two or three hours. As far as President B goes he is not going to allow beer at the SHAC.

As an aside, don't think I don't drink. I tailgate my ass off before every football game. Ask Loaf. I drink all of his liquor I can.
    Only make it back to the SHAC maybe once a year, but the arena seems to have a “sterile” feel to it. I’m sure someone else can articulate it better than I, but it’s like the arena never got broken in or something. Beer would certainly help both in gettting people there and also loosening them up a bit. Just like the football program, it’s going to take a bunch of little things. Beer, better food options, increased marketing, better game day experience, and other things people have mentioned would all be steps in the right direction. Once you get people in the door make sure they enjoy themselves and they’ll buy in on the program and go to SF.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    Out of conference schedule my ass. How the hell isnt the shac packed to the rafters for und and sdsu?
    I agree with you about these two games. But then again, not many SDSU fans bothered to come up.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Bison Loaf is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot
    "The football hotbed of the high plains."

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post

What?!?!!! Here I thought I was drinking all of it, the whole damn time! People were getting worried about me, interventions were being planned. And frankly, I was very much enjoying the attention of it all.

Next thing is you'll be telling me that the witty banter and hilarious jokes aren't really all mine either.

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Only make it back to the SHAC maybe once a year, but the arena seems to have a “sterile” feel to it. I’m sure someone else can articulate it better than I, but it’s like the arena never got broken in or something. Beer would certainly help both in gettting people there and also loosening them up a bit. Just like the football program, it’s going to take a bunch of little things. Beer, better food options, increased marketing, better game day experience, and other things people have mentioned would all be steps in the right direction. Once you get people in the door make sure they enjoy themselves and they’ll buy in on the program and go to SF.
    The stands are too far away from the court, there's garish red advertising on an otherwise bland court, and overall it's just a disjointed design with large gaps and a lot of seats not facing the court. None of that is conducive to a good basketball atmosphere.

I think this picture demonstrates pretty well how poorly the seating is designed. It's like the architects had no idea what a basketball arena should be, but rather just went through and checked off a bunch of boxes on a list they got from NDSU.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonp View Post
    The stands are too far away from the court, there's garish red advertising on an otherwise bland court, and overall it's just a disjointed design with large gaps and a lot of seats not facing the court. None of that is conducive to a good basketball atmosphere.

I think this picture demonstrates pretty well how poorly the seating is designed. It's like the architects had no idea what a basketball arena should be, but rather just went through and checked off a bunch of boxes on a list they got from NDSU.

Its awful. Who wants to sit there with their head tilted for 2 hours.

Sell Beer , get a fast paced offensive coach with fast breaks and dunks. ( HAVE WE EVEN HAD 1 FAST BREAK DUNK THIS YEAR?)
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

The crowd needs to be more involved in the game. Even at key moments of the game when we should be on our feet, most are not. It is just a different crowd. If you want to get it going more, place me and a few other key people in courtside seats and you will see some excitement. Spike Lee type chatter will be going on baby.
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Problem 1 for ndsu has to be getting the students engaged again. The crowd would feed of the students energy. The night they did the tv giveaway they got a great student turnout, so more promos would be good.

Not sure how visible Dave and the team are on campus but during the fall and into the season wander over to the union meet the students, give out some swag and let students know about the team and when the games are. Work with various clubs on campus, tour the greek houses...find what they are about and tell them about the team. Just build more relationships.

Just spitting ideas but i think ndsu needs to start with getting the students back and excited about bison basketball.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk