Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Extend Richman now

Default Re: Extend Richman now

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    We went dancing in 2014 & 2015, what happened to that recruiting momentum???

What's Daum have to do with Richman doing his job? Where's that senior class he recruited after we beat OK?

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Saul Phillips

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
    North Dakota State Bison (The Summit League) (2007–2014)
    2007–08 North Dakota State 16–13 10–8 4th
    2008–09 North Dakota State 26–7 16–2 1st NCAA Round of 64
    2009–10 North Dakota State 11–18 8–10 6th
    2010–11 North Dakota State 14–15 8–10 7th
    2011–12 North Dakota State 17–14 9–9 3rd
    2012–13 North Dakota State 24–10 12–4 3rd CBI First Round
    2013–14 North Dakota State 26–6 12–2 1st NCAA Round of 32

David Richman

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
    North Dakota State Bison (Summit League) (2014–present)
    2014–15 North Dakota State 23–10 12–4 T–1st NCAA Second Round
    2015–16 North Dakota State 20–13 8–8 5th
    2016–17 North Dakota State 19–11 11–5 2nd
    2017–18 North Dakota State 15–17 5–9 T–5th
    2018–19 North Dakota State 18–15 9–7 T–3rd
    If you are pointing out that Richman has done as good of a job as Saul, cool. I never said I wanted Saul to be the coach either. I don't care who the coach is if you can't at least once in a while get a win against a high quality ooc team and/or get into the dance as something more than a 15 seed then you are a mediocre mid major coach at best and we should expect more.

This also shows that DR rode Saul's success for 2 yrs then started flailing ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    What's Daum have to do with Richman doing his job? Where's that senior class he recruited after we beat OK?
    They couldn't get past Daum in the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    If you are pointing out that Richman has done as good of a job as Saul, cool. I never said I wanted Saul to be the coach either. I don't care who the coach is if you can't at least once in a while get a win against a high quality ooc team and/or get into the dance as something more than a 15 seed then you are a mediocre mid major coach at best and we should expect more.

This also shows that DR rode Saul's success for 2 yrs then started flailing ...
    Just something to note/think about, Richman was on staff during Saul's time at NDSU. Richman did not come from a different program and take over the roster. As an assistant coach he helped build that roster of seniors that won a game in the big dance. He has been in those kids homes, high school games/AAU and played a part in bringing those kids to NDSU.

Sure you probably dont get claim the credit if you are not the head coach but assistance coaches play a key part in a a team's and head coaches success. They are often the first line of recruiting, in charge of scouts of opponents, and development of players.

CalBison97 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    How dare you bring quantifiable evidence into this debate! We are only supposed to use vague subjective claims about the tone of his voice and how that makes him unfit for the position.
    Don't overlook the win totals: one trended upwards, the other downwards.
    Stand your ground, have a tough hide, roam wild and free, have a strong spirit, let the chips fall where they may.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsBison View Post
    Just something to note/think about, Richman was on staff during Saul's time at NDSU. Richman did not come from a different program and take over the roster. As an assistant coach he helped build that roster of seniors that won a game in the big dance. He has been in those kids homes, high school games/AAU and played a part in bringing those kids to NDSU.

Sure you probably dont get claim the credit if you are not the head coach but assistance coaches play a key part in a a team's and head coaches success. They are often the first line of recruiting, in charge of scouts of opponents, and development of players.
    I don't question his ability to bring in talent. He's shown he can't manage mismatched personalities especially last season. The players he brings in aren't built for his offensive "system". His insistence on playing stall ball with the exception of the last few weeks have cost this team numerous games. Other coaches adapt and outcoach him almost every game.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    They couldn't get past Daum in the tournament.
    BS. There is no senior class because they all left. And they sure as hell didn't run into Daum in 2017!

You know, I was one of the most vocal folks calling for Richman to be let go, but I really think he changed a bit at the end of this year when he realized he was likely going to be let go after next year. Attacking the paint all weekend with Tyson was nothing short of genius; it really was (haters, you have to admit this). On top of that, this last year he was fantastic on recruiting. I still think he needs to figure a way to play Rocky and Deng together, but maybe he'll also figure that out. Further, much of the time Deng sat during the tourney was the RIGHT decision as he was cold inside and Rocky's defense was phenomenal, and we were shooting the lights out.

I say add 1-2 years to the end of his contract to see if he can keep growing.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsBison View Post

This is very true, they are a key part in the head coaches success but that does not mean they have what it takes to become a good head coach.