Strommer10 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: We are a basketball school!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    6 Million Viewers for NDSU/DUKE.

Google NDSU DUKE 4.7 millon pages

https://www.google.com/search?ei=2PS...63.6UzXKGZPKfw

NDSU IOWA 750,000 pages

#BasketballSchool
    You know 99.9% of that is because of Duke and Zion. In no way is NDSU a basketball school.

However, I will agree with you that this needs to change. NDSU is essentially capped out in regards to football. There is literally nothing else for NDSU to prove at the FCS level. I don't see this administration moving NDSU up to FBS anytime soon. So if NDSU wants to improve its overall athletic department, basketball NEEDS to be supported like football is. This means both financially and fan base/student body attendance. Softball & track have been really strong at NDSU, but those sports don't move the needle nationally like having a top tier Mid Major basketball program would.

Quote Originally Posted by Strommer10 View Post
    You know 99.9% of that is because of Duke and Zion. In no way is NDSU a basketball school.

However, I will agree with you that this needs to change. NDSU is essentially capped out in regards to football. There is literally nothing else for NDSU to prove at the FCS level. I don't see this administration moving NDSU up to FBS anytime soon. So if NDSU wants to improve its overall athletic department, basketball NEEDS to be supported like football is. This means both financially and fan base/student body attendance. Softball & track have been really strong at NDSU, but those sports don't move the needle nationally like having a top tier Mid Major basketball program would.
    Spot on. Need to get way more out of the BB programs then we have to date. Will require investments by the administration.

Would love to see the school and fanbase start to demand excellence from the basketball program. Lots of room for growth there.
    College of Business Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by Strommer10 View Post

I would never say never but at least for the near future, this has about as much chance as UN_ building its football program at the expense of hockey. Maybe someone who has been here forever can educate me, but when since 1965 has the administration supported basketball like football?
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Vet70 View Post
    I would never say never but at least for the near future, this has about as much chance as UN_ building its football program at the expense of hockey. Maybe someone who has been here forever can educate me, but when since 1965 has the administration supported basketball like football?

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybooboo View Post
    Really???

Non-conference home games that year were Viterbo, Southern Miss, Valley City St, Delaware, Towson, and Mayville St. They played in one of the worst arenas in D1. They paid the coach low major money to the point where a MAC school was a big pay raise. If Bison football had half their home OOC games against sub-D1 teams and lost their head coach to a MAC school there would be a lynch mob out for the AD.

Basketball has never been supported at the D1 level to the point that football has been. But, at the same time, that's just the nature of the beast at the mid-major level. The resources aren't available to be at the top of the heap in both revenue sports, you have to prioritize them. It's clear NDSU has prioritized football ahead of basketball and I don't think anyone can blame them/us given the results.

I the only point to be made here is bball has way more upside than football (whether FBS or FCS we might see a slight uptick going FBS, my proof is Boise State, they got a good uptick that peaked 5-6 years ago now you hardly see anything nationally even though they're still always there). I don't know that the overall NDSU fanbase will be more rabid about bball then fball ever though.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    I the only point to be made here is bball has way more upside than football (whether FBS or FCS we might see a slight uptick going FBS, my proof is Boise State, they got a good uptick that peaked 5-6 years ago now you hardly see anything nationally even though they're still always there). I don't know that the overall NDSU fanbase will be more rabid about bball then fball ever though.
    Need a Coach with Charisma & salesmanship & fast paced style, that would Pack the SHAC. FBS conference would help the Basketball team also.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chapo View Post
    Need a Coach with Charisma & salesmanship & fast paced style, that would Pack the SHAC. FBS conference would help the Basketball team also.
    Your not getting into an FBS conference unless our BB improves a ton. That's what would drive a conference change and eventual FBS invite.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonator98 View Post
    your not getting into an fbs conference unless our bb improves a ton. That's what would drive a conference change and eventual fbs invite.
    bingo......
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?