Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Entrance Exam cheating scandal

Default Re: Entrance Exam cheating scandal

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    I'm surprised of the complexity of this scheme to subvert the admissions process. Thought it would be more direct greasing of the wheels and less dog and pony show.
    That kind of got me too. I thought it'd be easier to buy your way in... I mean, all you had to do to go to Yale/Harvard in the old days was be born into the right family.

One nice feature of this fraud is that they were able to claim their bribe money as charitable donations. Assuming that tax fraud is still a crime, that could be a problem for the people involved (on the flip side, Orange is the New Black: Season 7 could get some new talent.)

One aspect I'd be interested in is how all these kids did in school. If you can get a B average in Harvard despite not making their entrance standards, then maybe their entrance standards don't prove anything.

BTW, I bet a large portion of the essays written for admissions are authored by ghost writers.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    That kind of got me too. I thought it'd be easier to buy your way in... I mean, all you had to do to go to Yale/Harvard in the old days was be born into the right family.
    IMO your statement is a bit of a generalization. There are many buildings named after people people who have been admitted who have made altruistic contributions to the growth and well-being of their Universities.

But yes. You are right.

I blame Kimmy Gibbler for this shitstorm!*

*Lori would never do this without being coerced by that trouble-maker Kimmy.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

One nice feature of this fraud is that they were able to claim their bribe money as charitable donations. Assuming that tax fraud is still a crime, that could be a problem for the people involved (on the flip side, Orange is the New Black: Season 7 could get some new talent.)

One aspect I'd be interested in is how all these kids did in school. If you can get a B average in Harvard despite not making their entrance standards, then maybe their entrance standards don't prove anything.

BTW, I bet a large portion of the essays written for admissions are authored by ghost writers.
    Then again what the hell do I know. I'm just some dumb shmuck who went to public school and a state university.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Moen View Post
    No, not Lori Loughlin! I've had a crush on her since the movie Rad.
    Lori Loughlin is going from Full House straight to the Big House.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Capo dei Capi of the scheme was flipped by the FBI and wore a wire.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...BBnb7Kz#page=2
    The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    Paul Fix

Man, I should have gotten into the "taking the SAT for kids of pushy parents" thing back when I was a minor. I might be an idiot in most ways, but I am an idiot savant when it comes to standardized tests. Never too late, I suppose...

JSUBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MNoodles View Post

The big momma's in the joint are going to be trading her around for ramen and smokes.

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    I blame Kimmy Gibbler for this shitstorm!*

*Lori would never do this without being coerced by that trouble-maker Kimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MNoodles View Post

After all these years, who would have thought that Jodie Sweetin wasn't the only real life bad girl on the set?

No wonder those Olsen twins want nothing to do with the show. Perhaps they should send their sister to fix the off-set issues:

Hail the BISON!!!

My aunt is a teacher at a high end private high school in Rhode Island. She says she often pushes kids to consider elite schools(think Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, etc) that arent Ivy because grade inflation is a huge problem. Says the key stat to look at is what percent of grades given out are A's and that will tell you a lot about the school.
    College of Business Alumnus